Bashar Al Squarehead's Syrian (& Iraqi) Armour

Certain recent events have put me in a very good mood, so good in fact that I'm determined to commemorate them with a model:

DJRWKBoXoAAA5pf.jpg

I've already got the Revell 1/72 T-55 and I'm about to order I've just ordered the Trumpeter T-55 with KMT-5 mine-roller.....Looking at pictures of the Trumpeter kit suggests I'm going to have to scratch some replacement rollers that are more to scale, fortunately I believe that I know a fella who did that very thing not so long ago, hopefully he'll spot this and can advise.  ;)

PS - Just remembered I have a turned barrel and full OKB running gear for a T-55 too, so I reckon I've got the main bits well covered, now to get all the references I need.....For that, only this place will do (highly political & at times graphic content, if that's a problem for you, don't go there): 

http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/topic/754-syrian-tanks-at-war-some-pictures-and-words-between-them/

http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/topic/786-syrian-conflict/

DJCO_FYXYAMkZv2.jpg

DJCPGLcWAAAhUW0.jpg

DJCPHyvXkAA0Viw.jpg

And on the move (with onboard in-action footage):

I'm going to have to scratch-build some of the smaller Syrian details, but that should make for a fun project in itself (if perhaps a bit fiddly given the current state of my eyesight).  :nerd:

• Like 8

Cheers fella, but I don't see the link.

Why do you say the Trumpeter kit would be better?  At a superficial glance, the much newer Revell parts look nicer to me.  :hmmm:

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/Trumpeter/T-54_T-55prev.htm

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/RevellAG/Revell_T55A_3304.htm

Hi,

The new Revell kit looks very nice, but unfortunately they completely messed up the turret shape (go figure how hey could do it). Fixing this would require lots of surgery. Trumpy's turret is better (not perfect). 

Revell's tracks are better, although Trumpeter ones are useful. Still it is most likely your target machine has RMSh tracks, so aftermarket here (hope your OKB set is suitable), or wait for the new Revell kit of T-55AM. 

Here's the link http://www.smallt-34.narod.ru/Raznoe/KMT-5/kmt-5.html

BTW they broke through to the airbase in Deir ez Zorn the day before yesterday (Just another picture of a T-55 from the area -shows nicely the shape of the rangefinder). 

DJSFKQSVoAA9egC.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Sarge. Great to see you back again with what looks to be a fascinating project! :thumbsup: I'm currently partway through building a Dragon 1/72 Sherman in the Radial Engines Rock GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

@BallsBuster  Cheers for the heads up fella, modelling post-war tanks is a new thing for me, so your input is much appreciated.  Pretty sure I'm going to need another set of OKB tracks for this, I'm guessing there's no aftermarket gun with a thermal sleeve, so I'll have to try to dress up either the kit parts or my turned barrel.....Any advice on that would be very welcome.  :coolio:

@AndyRM101  Cheers fella, I'll no doubt need to ask your advice on the (not inconsiderable) weathering I'm going to have to attempt to simulate, I've laid in plenty of lead foil and a few flavours of putty for making the distinctly Syrian stowage too.  ;)

@PlaStix  Good show fella, I like a good Sherman and 1/72 ones are usually the best.  :P

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@BallsBuster  Cheers for the heads up fella, modelling post-war tanks is a new thing for me, so your input is much appreciated.  Pretty sure I'm going to need another set of OKB tracks for this, I'm guessing there's no aftermarket gun with a thermal sleeve, so I'll have to try to dress up either the kit parts or my turned barrel.....Any advice on that would be very welc

Welcome to the dark side! I used to model aircraft....

the tracks-any RMSh for T-72 will do (except the vey late ones). Either OKB or Tankograd are superb, but alternatively you can use plastic ones from the Revell T-72 kit, or ACE PE ones... 

for the barrel I would use the kit part -easier to work on plastic, and what is the point of hiding a perfectly good turned barrel with the thermal jacket imitation?

Cheers, I've just been looking for the tracks.....I already have these:

http://shop.okbgrigorov.com/product/222/1-72-tracks-for-t-54-55-62.html

OKB don't do any other sets for the T-55, but this set for the T-72 looks ball-park to me: 

product_596.jpg

http://shop.okbgrigorov.com/product/326/1-72-tracks-for-t-72.html

• Like 1

Good to see you fella, I'm still gathering materiels and references for this right now and once I get started progress will probably be rather slow.....My eyesight continues to deteriorate, which rather limits the time I can spend at the bench in one sitting.  :unsure:

• Like 1

T-72 tracks is exactly what you need for this project.

Here's the link to a set that may make your life easier (if you are ready to shed some cash) https://tankograd-resin-kits.host.webasyst.com/shop/bashnya-t-55-am-s-nakladkami/

The turret is correct, and there are trimmings for AM version... however the range finder might be somewhat different on the tank you plan to build.

• Thanks 1

Funnily enough that's where I just came from.....I'm not a happy rabbit right now, the Revell kit apparently has some serious issues and it looks like about 2/3 of that Tankograd set is what I'm going to need to dress up the Trumpeter version.  Do you know if they accept PayPal, happy to buy it if they do, but no chance if they don't.  I'm not seeing the symbol on the site and you appear to have to confirm your order before the payment options are displayed, which is another thing that ain't gonna happen without a confirmation of PayPal as an option.  :mellow:

Hi,

Sorry, I do not affiliate with this shop in any way, however bought a few sets from them about a year ago. Do not really remember how it worked but I paid by PayPal. perhaps it was not classed as a purchase (hence no PayPal protection) but as a transfer... but not sure now.

In fact if you plan to use Trumpy's kit, the hardest part will be to model the platform for the range finder and the device itself. the skirts can be easily scratch built. Perhaps it is even better solution especially if you want to show only parts of it.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like Tankograd and/or Zedval is the way forward, I've been chatting with Simon Barnes over on ML Braille and he's making very similar recommendations. 

The Trumpeter kit turned up this morning, I'm pretty confident I can convert the mine-roller to a KMT-5M, it's actually just a simplified version of what's in the kit, but the rollers themselves appear undersize to me, I'm going to have to do some checking.

Things are definitely not quite as straightforward as they seemed at first glance:

On 10/09/2017 at 9:25 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - Just remembered I have a turned barrel and full OKB running gear for a T-55 too, so I reckon I've got the main bits well covered

Having said that the T-54/55 is the most produced tank in the history of mankind, so you have to expect some variations I guess.  :rolleyes:

So far it seems I'm looking at a Trumpeter lower hull, Tankograd or Zedval upper hull & turret, Revell or OKB T-72 track (probably the latter, because OKB), Revell or OKB wheels (probably the former, because I have to trash the tyres anyway) a modified Zedval main gun, rebuilt mine-roller, various details taken from both kits plus some extras from Zedval (and some scratchwork).....Simples!  :P

• Like 1

Cheers fella, anything but (as usual),  should keep me occupied for a while.  ;)

I've just chucked a Chaffee shaped spanner in my own works by blowing most of my readies pre-ordering a platoon of OKB's new 1/72 M-24s.....I reckon I can just about scrimp the pennies for the T-72 track and a Zedval 'Soviet Tank Booster Set' (not the official title, I'll post a link later).  However this is all I'll need to get started on the lower-hull and running gear, so I can at least get (it) rolling.

Don't suppose you've bought direct from Tankograd at all have you Ben?  :hmmm:

--Hi Sarge

Was being a little sarcastic there. Seems like it's turning into an epic build for you.

Surprising that we are so poorly served for T-55 kits given how many were build and it's widespread use. I have the Trumpeter kit and was considering the Revell but will now give that a miss.

I also have a Jadar / Armo resin kit which looks pretty decent in the box.

Sadly I've not ordered from Tankograd, although they do some rather interesting stuff.

Have seen the OKB M-24 - must resist .....................

Regards

Ben

No worries fella.....Glad to have you along, you know way more about these 'modern' thingies than me.

All being well I should start cutting plastic tomorrow, I'll just be test fitting the running gear and trashing the tyres to begin with.  I finally found the camera battery so I'll stick some images on Imgur once I have something to show.

20 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You know way more about these 'modern' thingies than me.

Not too sure about that :huh: but will help where I can, even if it's just the moral support :yes:

Somehow I find a kitbash more satisfying than a straight out the box build.