beefy66

I know I should just concentrate on one build but the BPBC 466 is soo delicate and has a lot of parts that can go missing that I have started this just for a Thursday night at the local model club I go to

Hull built up and main gun I know that the kit is not totally accurate but this will be an OOB build so I can get some more practice in with the PE and camo pattern

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_4396.jpg

IMG_4397.jpg

beefy

• Like 15

Good, if weird looking ship she is. Count me in for this one, my Grandad served on her for a while during 1944 as a CPO. She's definitely on my want to do list.

:popcorn:

Geoff 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Nice one Keith, I have the Roberts in my stash. Be interesting to follow this build.

Thanks Julian did you make a start on your Roberts a while ago or have you still to remove parts from the sprue 📚 

beefy

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

OK see if I can get back into this fingers crossed the computer is OK now  :rage:

Started to paint the main parts in the camo but not to happy with the green I have used

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Suggest you add a tiny dash of either red or orange to the green. These are complimentary colours to green so that tiny little addition will just kill some of the ‘greenness’ without darkening the colour. Don’t add too much though or the paint will turn a mud colour.

looking good otherwise.

Not to be argumentative, but the RN were specifically against red undertones in their colours and all documentation ordered that it was to be avoided.

The "green" itself is also a fallacy that is still perpetuated by some authors who have never troubled themselves to visit the archives and actually see anything documented - be they words or samples. The only "greens" used were Western Approaches Light Green (WALG) which this isn't, G20 (which this isn't, didn't exist before May 1943 and was an olive shade) and M.S.3. which was a medium/light grey with a very weak greenish caste to it - which is what this shade should be. M.S.3. looks like grey on its on, and only looks slightly greenish when next to truly neutral or bluish shades of grey.

• Like 3

Nice start, I have the Trumpeter kits in the stash, but have ony built the White Ensign Models HMS Roberts, which was a delight. When I reviewed the Trumpy Abercormbie there was just too much wrong for me to actually want to put it on the bench.

HMS Roberts

• Like 2

Just to be clear - I am not claiming that adding a tiny touch of red will make the green more accurate (I really wouldn’t know) but it will tone it down a bit and will make it a bit less intense. When landscape painting I often add a tiny touch of complimentary colour to slightly deaden any hue I am finding a little too loud. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Just to be clear - I am not claiming that adding a tiny touch of red will make the green more accurate (I really wouldn’t know) but it will tone it down a bit and will make it a bit less intense. When landscape painting I often add a tiny touch of complimentary colour to slightly deaden any hue I am finding a little too loud. 

Ah ok, understood.

If it's getting redone anyway, I'd suggest it's a good desaturation that is needed, by mixing with a medium grey. This is a render of a typical MS3:

RN06rgb_1024x1024.jpg?v=1483879762

As above, it only looks green next to a bluish grey like 507C or MS1

RN03rgb_1024x1024.jpg?v=1492354996RN06rgb_1024x1024.jpg?v=1483879762RN04rgb_1024x1024.jpg?v=1500203621

• Like 4

Well talk about a can of  :worms:

Thanks for clearing that up Jamie I had a feeling this was not right the colour chart from Trumpeter gives you a completely different outlook on the way the ship should be painted

But looking at some photos from the web it does look green but it must be the trick of the light as the photo was taken when the ship was on the Tyne and we all know that we do not get much sunshine up here

this is the main reason for me building Abercrombie as it was built on the Tyne near where I live so have a thing about building ships from a long gone age of shipbuilding up hear

anyway started the smaller armaments and primed ready for when I re-do the hull

IMG_4405.jpg

beefy

• Like 8

Hi Beefy, was that the Lifecolour paints you used for the green or something else? Think there's a pretty good match to the MS3 in the first RN set. At least to my uneducated eyes.

Geoff

• Like 1