Airfix 1/72 Dornier 17z

Darby

Anybody who has built this one will know of the tolerances in various areas. Nothing insurmountable but frustrating nonetheless. Oh and those dorsal windows; fitted perfectly prior to painting but once the painting was done, alas! They are proud of the surface. Well, ho hum. Not a great day for light conditions here in Plummetmouth so phots not great. Xtracolour Schwartzgrun/Dunkelgrun over Lichtblau. Made a crude towel rail aerial and liked the idea of a big fuel tank and bomb internally. Probably not correct but I'm ready for any Dornier Gauleiters who may come knocking in the dead of night. Anyway, here it warts, mishaps and whatever.

You'll notice the flat spot is aft on the port wheel and for'ard on starboard. That's because they are free turning and I didn't notice until after the phot.

DSC00595.jpg

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00591.jpg

Big bomb, ready for dropping on any given fast food outlet.

DSC00588.jpg

DSC00586.jpg

Those infernal dorsal windows. They may be proud but I'm not.

DSC00582.jpg

Aeriel wire off centre here.

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00580.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

Oops, didn't trim that EZ line properly did I? And those MG's look like field guns in this shot.

DSC00577.jpg

DSC00576.jpg

• Like 49

Hi Darby,

this is a beautiful Dornier, proud windows and misplaced flat spots on tyres etc. I did not notice any of those horrendous mistakes until I read your text, so it cannot be that bad!

I must have been ripped off, because the RLM 65 Xtracolor I bought 3 years ago is a disaster and does not look anything like the one you have used, which looks just fine to me.

Could it be that Xtracolor glue the wrong labels on the wrong tinlets? If that was the case I should have bought a lottery ticket...

Great bomber!!!

JR

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments chaps. Shame the light conditions and my poor camera usage couldn't provide better phots. Toying with another idea for one further down the line someday.

7 hours ago, wafu_vasco said:

Gorgeous job with such a distinctive yet overlooked aircraft. It looks fantastic. What's your technique for radio wires? The only time I tried was with cotton and superglue and after a couple of weeks the mast warped and the wiring sagged. 

EZ line. An elasticated thread  which is quite fine. There are other types such as Uschi available. I can't remember where I got mine from but a tinterweb trawl or someone on here would be able to enlighten.

4 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Darby,

this is a beautiful Dornier, proud windows and misplaced flat spots on tyres etc. I did not notice any of those horrendous mistakes until I read your text, so it cannot be that bad!

I must have been ripped off, because the RLM 65 Xtracolor I bought 3 years ago is a disaster and does not look anything like the one you have used, which looks just fine to me.

Could it be that Xtracolor glue the wrong labels on the wrong tinlets? If that was the case I should have bought a lottery ticket...

Great bomber!!!

JR

It's a really old tin and may well have had Israeli pale blue mixed in a while ago or I may have mixed that with Hellblau but it's close enough for me.

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

That looks terrific.  I don't do Luftwaffe much but this is pretty inspiring.  Great job on painting the framework of the cockpit canopy. 

The framing may be a bit on the heavy side compared to other manufacturers but it makes it a lot easier to mask even if it looks a bit clunky in places

• Thanks 1

Fantastic result on a 'flying pencil' - and I do like a neat paint job! Ties in nicely with some recent advice I was getting on low contrasts between top surface camouflage colours. You've answered a question I had on aerial thread (I actually got some fine elastic thread from the local knitting/sewing shop at the weekend) and now I'm starting to get obsessed with where you can find out how the aerials located mast to tail, one string or two, loops to connect with the radio inside the fuselage etc.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

Very nice result indeed! This is a very plain scheme - just monachromatic top, no yellow or white bands, tips, great emblems, mottles or at least two shades. And you made it looking attractive... 

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1