Hasegawa B5N2 in 1:48 scale

SoftScience

I keep wandering from on project to the next. Maybe this will be the one that sticks. It's a great kit, and so far, has been easy to build.

I've built up the major cockpit components and sprayed them with a few different shades of green and yellow to simulate Nakajima green color. Not sure it's precisely correct, but I like it enough. Detail painting next.

IMG_20170909_221811724.jpg

• Like 2

The upper wings are on. Fit was okay, but I needed some filler at the forward roots. I also applied a bit of Mr. Surfacer to the root joint to make it less conspicuous.

Not shown here is the fair bit of cleanup and rescribing I did below, where the back of the wing joins the fuselage.

I'm still not sure if my Kate will have bombs or a torpedo, so I'm building both.

IMG_20170917_241929512.jpg

• Like 3

It's been nothing but baby steps with this thing, since the last update.

I finally fixed the seams from hell, on the leading edge wing roots. These were entirely my fault, as I should have glued on the upper wing first, gotten a tight fit and only then added the lower wing. Next time.

Maybe it's from the sanding I had to do, but the countours of the fuselage now doesn't match that of the forward bit. Not even close. Time for more Bondo and sanding. Sigh...

IMG_20170919_230848768.jpg

• Like 2

Than you, Simon.

That repair was actually easier than anticipated. I plopped on some Bondo and then a coat of Mr Surfacer. Judicious use of pressure while sanding ensured that it came out in the proper shape and fared in nicely.

Perfect, it is not. But it's good enough for me.

IMG_20170921_223232603.jpg

The airframe is essentially finished now.

IMG_20170921_223222541.jpg

Next up is the raison d'etre of the build, the rocking radial :)

• Like 3