Sammy Allard's Hurricane N2319 prop and windscreen question

PaulR

Evening all,

Am intending to build Airfix fabric wing Hurricane as Sammy Allard's plane from the battle of France using the Xtradecal sheet. I've only found one picture, which doesn't show the prop very clearly at all; was just wondering if it had the Spitfire type DeHavilland prop, or the Hurricane type DeHavilland type. Equally, different sources have the prop boss as being black or yellow - anything definitive at all? Finally, am I right in thinking it had the early type armoured windscreen as supplied in the kit?

Grateful for any comments!

P

13 hours ago, PaulR said:

Am intending to build Airfix fabric wing Hurricane as Sammy Allard's plane from the battle of France using the Xtradecal sheet. 

you can't, xtradecal are wrong, the plane has metal wings. the guns covers are visible here.

Sergeant G "Sammy" Allard of No. 85 Squadron RAF being congratulated on his return to Lille-Seclin in France on the evening of 10 May 1940, after shooting down the second of two Heinkel He 111s claimed by him that day. Behind him, ground crew are busy refuelling and rearming his Hawker Hurricane Mark I, N2319 'VY-P'.

large.jpg

from

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234907653-hurricane-i-vy-cg-of-85-sqn-lille-seclin-around-apr-1940/

On 24/11/2011 at 16:01, tonyot said:

When doing VY-P be careful of the windscreen as it looks to be the early style with the external armour plate, you can usually tell which is which as the later, more standard windscreen had a strengthening frame line along the side of the windscreen at the top, whilst with the earlier windscreen these frame lines were not present, or in the case of VY-P they carry on straight up to the top of the windscreen.

the prop spinner looks pale, 85 used flight colured spinners it seems, so yellow is a 'best bet'

On 24/11/2011 at 16:01, tonyot said:

When doing VY-P be careful of the windscreen as it looks to be the early style with the external armour plate, you can usually tell which is which as the later, more standard windscreen had a strengthening frame line along the side of the windscreen at the top, whilst with the earlier windscreen these frame lines were not present, or in the case of VY-P they carry on straight up to the top of the windscreen.

HTH