A Big Hurricane - UPDATE

BIG X

I have been at a bit of a loose end today – trying to decide what to build next.  I really fancy a go at some AFV stuff – I have just bought a load of ‘quick build' type stuff at 1/72.  But at the same time I still have a load of 1/48 Luftwaffe stuff that is really appealing – BF110 / JU87 / JU88 / DO17…

So to take my mind off all this difficult decision making nonsense I thought I’d fish out my 1/24 Airfix Hurricane that I built last year – as it always makes me smile…

1/24 / OOB – except for the decals – seatbelts - IP ;)/ finished with humbrol rattle cans…

Here she is...

DSCF3628.jpg

DSCF3629.jpg

DSCF3630.jpg

DSCF3631.jpg

DSCF3632.jpg

DSCF3633.jpg

DSCF3634.jpg

DSCF3627.jpg

DSCF3635.jpg

You’ll notice she is ‘wheels down’ – unusual for me.  I didn’t do any WIP shots though – I was too nervous when I joined here last September – but I was quite pleased with the ‘office’.  Trouble is you can’t really see anything when you ‘button them up’...

IMG_1839.jpg

…and here she is on the runway…

DSCF3619.jpg

I hope you like it - she makes me smile.  Yes the Humbrol 'dark green' is dreadful - but before I joined here - I knew no better...

What do you think???

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It makes me smile too :thumbsup: !

What a lovely model. This is quite possibly my all time favourite Airfix aeroplane model.

To look at.

Sadly I had an original 1973(?) one but had to sell it; I've never built one :(.

It just looks so good in this scale. You did a great job on it; 'the office' is stonkingly good. The seat belts are very nice indeed.

It's nice to see a clean build; 'Sky' looks really good on a Hurricane.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I forgot the ‘back story’ – This is the Hawker Hurricane MKI of RAF Flight Lieutenant James Brindley Nicolson VC.  He was awarded the only VC during the Battle of Britain – here is the news…

NICHOLSON-_VC.jpg

combined.jpg

The motif under the cockpit has only recently been verified and accredited…

untitled.png

Nicholson’s code and motif were sported by the Battle of Britain 75th commemorative EF Typhoon…

ImageJ-Camouflaged_RAF_Typhoon_displayin

• Like 4

Well if you have one of these lurking in your stash - now could be the time to dust it off and get it built...

...even if it is in a new box the sprues are from 1973 and I'm sure there are many folk on here who could do a brilliant job with it.

What better chance to get involved with a GB that is likely to be 'more flash than kit'.  :)

• Like 1

That is a very nice Hurri.

Nothing wrong with the colours that I can see.  Lots of people seem to worry about having the colour exactly "so" forgetting that IRL that no two batches of paint are ever identical (especially when produced under wartime conditions) and that any two aircraft painted from the same batch will look different from the off if painted by different riggers and even more so after not many weeks in use.  Walks like a duck...   

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TheLurker said:

That is a very nice Hurri.

Nothing wrong with the colours that I can see.  Lots of people seem to worry about having the colour exactly "so" forgetting that IRL that no two batches of paint are ever identical (especially when produced under wartime conditions) and that any two aircraft painted from the same batch will look different from the off if painted by different riggers and even more so after not many weeks in use.  Walks like a duck...   

Steve's (Big X) right; Humbrol 30 is a very poor match for RAF Dark Green as it's got a bit too much blue in it.  Why Airfix persist in specifying this paint when there are two suitable alternatives in the Humbrol range, 116 and 163, is beyond me.  You too are right: different batches of paint, applied by different people under (even very slightly) different conditions will look different.  

Whatever else Steve has turned out a lovely replica of a significant aeroplane and hopefully he'll see this as a good excuse to have another go and pick a different scheme to compliment this one.

Flt Lt Nicholson is more than just the only RAF Battle of Britain VC; he is the only Fighter Command VC of the Second World War , if not the only Fighter Command VC full stop.

• Thanks 1

Michael Fish was on earlier..Some Tom, Dick or Harry phoned earlier about a big Hurricane building up North..Don't worry there isn't, just another 1/72nd !

Lovely job ,well done !:lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/09/2017 at 10:51 AM, bzn20 said:

Michael Fish was on earlier..Some Tom, Dick or Harry phoned earlier about a big Hurricane building up North..Don't worry there isn't, just another 1/72nd !

Lovely job ,well done !:lol:

If it'd been the beeb they'd probably said BIG Xs Hurri was a Tornado...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely build, did you do a WIP? . I have one of these lurking in the stash. A group build too. :lol::penguin: we shall see. 

Stunning cockpit too.:yes:

Johnny.

No WIP I'm afraid - I built it just before I joined here and had no clue what a WIP was.  The nose section can be a beggar though I believe and a WIP would certainly help folk in that direction.  I simply left the engine out and - hey presto - it looks kind of like a Hurricane.

You really should consider making this for the vintage airfix GB - it might tempt me to make one of my 109's I bought after your WIP on that - superb job :thanks:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely build, did you do a WIP? . I have one of these lurking in the stash. A group build too. :lol::penguin: we shall see. 

Stunning cockpit too.:yes:

Johnny.

Ah Go on go on go on (in the immortal words of mrs doyle).......

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

No WIP I'm afraid - I built it just before I joined here and had no clue what a WIP was.  The nose section can be a beggar though I believe and a WIP would certainly help folk in that direction.  I simply left the engine out and - hey presto - it looks kind of like a Hurricane.

You really should consider making this for the vintage airfix GB - it might tempt me to make one of my 109's I bought after your WIP on that - superb job :thanks:

It's a possibility. I'll have to check when it is. :penguin:

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Ah Go on go on go on (in the immortal words of mrs doyle).......

:lol:

• Haha 1