Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Antb

It had a short wingspan but it did a stirling job- Italeri Short Stirling

Recommended Posts

Hello Ant,

All the best for your kid ! glad that the operation went well !

Take your time, models can wait !

Good choice ! I dream of a 1/48 Stirling, that will be great....

Best wishes !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi chaps 

 

Not one to post pictures of my kids online usually but my little one has been allowed home today.

 

Just had to share. 

 

20170915_131352.jpg

 

Recovery expected to take another week or so. 

 

Thanks again for the well wishes. 

 

Hoping to get building in a few days time once everyone has settled back in. 

 

The mask set arrived whilst I was away. There's a lot of glazing to be masked. 

 

Cheers 

Ant. Relieved of chesterfield 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Antb said:

Hi chaps 

 

Not one to post pictures of my kids online usually but my little one has been allowed home today.

 

Just had to share. 

 

Recovery expected to take another week or so. 

 

Thanks again for the well wishes. 

 

Hoping to get building in a few days time once everyone has settled back in. 

 

The mask set arrived whilst I was away. There's a lot of glazing to be masked. 

 

Cheers 

Ant. Relieved of chesterfield 

Bless him - looks happy to be home :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh a Stirling. Not so often seen. I'm in here for that although Italeri could have done much better with the surface details ( e.g: Ju 87, Hs 129, A-7, Jaguar.......). But I guess much better than the old Airfix especially on the clear parts and the fit. Nice Box art on that.

Italeri-Short-Stirling.jpg

 

Couln't resist to post the one, that everybody knows well and always made me want on as it looks mighty there. This also may keep your mojo right.

bcf8c53659976dee714fd175c1bcd5e6.jpg

Bye the way a cute little guy, who looks very happy to stay home. Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see your son is home. He looks as if he is perking up as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bbudde said:

Oh a Stirling. Not so often seen. I'm in here for that although Italeri could have done much better with the surface details ( e.g: Ju 87, Hs 129, A-7, Jaguar.......). But I guess much better than the old Airfix especially on the clear parts and the fit. Nice Box art on that.

Italeri-Short-Stirling.jpg

 

Couln't resist to post the one, that everybody knows well and always made me want on as it looks mighty there. This also may keep your mojo right.

bcf8c53659976dee714fd175c1bcd5e6.jpg

Bye the way a cute little guy, who looks very happy to stay home. Cheers

Cheers guys 

 

Bbude that's a great image. I would do something with a bomb trolley but to be honest I don't know whether she will fit in the cabinet as she is! 

 

I will have a look once she's done and if I can add something a little extra I certainly will. 

 

I'm looking forward to building her up. Just hope I can do a good job and she plays fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening all

 

The little man has settled and the wife is happy doing her own thing so I've grabbed a cheeky half an hour on the build. I have some progress to share. 

 

I've got a wash on the interior and have made a start on the bomb bay internal structure. 

 

Here's where I'm up to as of tonight. 

 

The front office under construction. The kit decal for the IP is actually really good but look at Italeri's interior green.... 

 

20170909_232201.jpg

 

Not even close. 

 

So the edges got repainted. Ta da 

 

20170909_232948.jpg

 

Excuse the roughness of the green. It's Humbrol and rather grainy. The picture makes it look worse than it is. 

 

And here's the front office completed. The levers are PE and rather fiddly. 

 

20170915_211134.jpg

 

20170915_211145.jpg

 

Belts were painted khaki and shaded with a sepia wash. 

 

20170915_211153.jpg

 

An annoying feature of this kit, which otherwise goes together really nicely, are the awkward ejector and pin marks throughout. 

 

An example here on the seats for the navigator and radio operator. 

 

20170910_130157.jpg

 

I've been really brave and added an extra detail to the navigators table. Does this count as proper modelling? :lol:

 

Found an image online, 're sized and printed out. What do you reckon? 

 

20170915_211210.jpg

 

20170915_211221.jpg

 

20170915_211229.jpg

 

The shade isn't completely dry so it appears on this photo. 

 

20170915_211244.jpg

 

All that's left on here is to try and attach the lap belts on the seats and this section is done. 

 

Remember me saying about the annoying pin marks. Have a look at this. 

 

20170915_204628_001.jpg

 

Seems of these seem like they're an inch high! They're massive. 

 

I've managed to get the side ones done and having a think about the middle ones as can't get my sanding stick in. Maybe some squares of yoghurt pot glued On? 

 

The whole section shown will be black so whatever I decide it should be hidden ok. 

 

Anyway progress has been made. 

 

Grateful for advice criticism and feedback. Just be gentle. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 825 said:

Glad to see your son is home. He looks as if he is perking up as well. 

Thank you. 

 

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im happy to see he is recovering 👍

Thank you too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its good to see the little fella smiling, best medicine there is.

 

Regards to your build, well its a good start and not having seen any Italeri  build cos I shy away from the Stirling due to the Airfix build many moons ago but I am suitably impressed with both the cockpit detail and bomb bay . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Antb said:

Seems of these seem like they're an inch high! They're massive. 

 

I've managed to get the side ones done and having a think about the middle ones as can't get my sanding stick in. Maybe some squares of yoghurt pot glued On? 

Hello, cockpit looks good. Indeed Hubrol enamels are a bit grainy.  For the bombay pins I would use this (7,0) with a dremel motortool at the lowest level. But you have to put it first onto the mark, before you start the Dremel. Cheers

1_584_438_proxxon_edelkorund_schleifstif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good Ant - loving the seat belts and the washing - I've only just found out about washes and yours look good to me.

 

Love that map too - directions to Meadow Hall perhaps???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Its good to see the little fella smiling, best medicine there is.

 

Regards to your build, well its a good start and not having seen any Italeri  build cos I shy away from the Stirling due to the Airfix build many moons ago but I am suitably impressed with both the cockpit detail and bomb bay . . .

 

Thanks mate. The detail is nice, more than I expected from the small PE fret. 

 

21 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello, cockpit looks good. Indeed Hubrol enamels are a bit grainy.  For the bombay pins I would use this (7,0) with a dremel motortool at the lowest level. But you have to put it first onto the mark, before you start the Dremel. Cheers

1_584_438_proxxon_edelkorund_schleifstif

Thanks for the tip. Sadly I don't own a dremmel but the idea of using it for the job does seem the best solution..

 

18 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Looking good Ant - loving the seat belts and the washing - I've only just found out about washes and yours look good to me.

 

Love that map too - directions to Meadow Hall perhaps???

 

Thanks mate. You're too kind. 

 

It's not a flory wash this one. It's a brown wash from the army painter range watered down so its not as stark. Flory is always good but it's tricky to get the cotton bud in tight spaces and I don't like a massive build up in nooks and crannies. Wait.... that sounds weird.... sorry. 

 

Meadowhall? Good god no. Worst place eva innit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Antb said:

 

Thanks mate. The detail is nice, more than I expected from the small PE fret. 

 

Thanks for the tip. Sadly I don't own a dremmel but the idea of using it for the job does seem the best solution..

 

 

Thanks mate. You're too kind. 

 

It's not a flory wash this one. It's a brown wash from the army painter range watered down so its not as stark. Flory is always good but it's tricky to get the cotton bud in tight spaces and I don't like a massive build up in nooks and crannies. Wait.... that sounds weird.... sorry. 

 

Meadowhall? Good god no. Worst place eva innit. 

 

18 minutes ago, Antb said:

Meadowhall? Good god no. Worst place eva innit. 

...that's why it needs a visit from a squadron of Stirlings ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BIG X said:

 

...that's why it needs a visit from a squadron of Stirlings ;)

Wondered if that's where you were going with that :party:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been away from the laptop,sorry to hear about your son,glad the op went well,hope he gets better soon.Well tidy work so far.:goodjob::popcorn::popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interior looking good. In fact exceptionally good. Humbrol interior grey green is a bit grainy; I dilute it with Flow Improver and brush on a couple of thin coats and that seems to take the grain down sufficiently, for me anyway. I love your washes and the map is the icing on the cake. Don't envy you the fine work with the etch though. You've done a fine job where I would have given up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, celt said:

I have been away from the laptop,sorry to hear about your son,glad the op went well,hope he gets better soon.Well tidy work so far.:goodjob::popcorn::popcorn:

Thanks celt. 

 

9 hours ago, 825 said:

Interior looking good. In fact exceptionally good. Humbrol interior grey green is a bit grainy; I dilute it with Flow Improver and brush on a couple of thin coats and that seems to take the grain down sufficiently, for me anyway. I love your washes and the map is the icing on the cake. Don't envy you the fine work with the etch though. You've done a fine job where I would have given up. 

Cheers mate. 

 

I have stirred it and thinned it and it's still grainy. It's awful stuff really bit it's there and looks OK once shaded. It will do for now but I'm going to look for an alternate for my next builds. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Antb said:

 

 

 

 

I have stirred it and thinned it and it's still grainy. It's awful stuff really bit it's there and looks OK once shaded. It will do for now but I'm going to look for an alternate for my next builds. 

 

 

I found that if you add a drop of Daler-Rowney Flow Enhancer and add thre ball bearings to the pot and shake for 30 seconds and stir for a minute,H78 brushes beautifully.:smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, celt said:

I found that if you add a drop of Daler-Rowney Flow Enhancer and add thre ball bearings to the pot and shake for 30 seconds and stir for a minute,H78 brushes beautifully.:smile:

Thanks for the tip Celt 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all 

 

Had a good few hours on the Stirling yesterday and a cheeky hour this morning whilst everyone was in bed. 

 

Managed to get quite a bit more done and it's looking quite good. 

 

Once again the ejector marks were a pain and I spent a fair while trying to clean up the ones in the fuselage sides only to find they can't be seen once she's closed up! 

 

However, here's an update. 

 

First up I came up with a solution for those horrible pin marks in the middle of the bomb bay. I didn't have anything to hand to sand them out so I got a piece of plastic from a milk bottle, trimmed squares to shape and used PVA glue to attach. 

 

Here's the result

 

20170916_105836.jpg

 

Here it is along it's length. 

 

20170916_110127.jpg

 

Admittedly these are shallower than their counterparts but once the bombs have been fitted and everything has been painted black I don't foresee any problems with how they look. 

 

Next up was cutting the windows from the fuselage sides. Quite why Italeri have you cutting these out is beyond me but I can only assume they use the same fuselage for the Mk IV glider tug? 

 

Anyway here's what they have you do 

 

20170916_123906.jpg

 

All windows removed. 

 

20170916_133958.jpg

 

And the scruffy result on the other side 

 

20170916_214559.jpg

 

All cleaned up ready for painting the interior green and aluminium. Wash and the rest of the internals to fit and then the windows can go in. 

 

More to follow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly let me say that I'm glad that your son is recovering well, it must have been very frightening for you all.

I tend to disregard most 1/72 builds but I do have a fascination for the Stirling, so I will be watching this one.

Looking good so far.

 

John 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a bit more done. 

 

Fuselage halves have been painted interior green and aluminium. I've found an old can of aluminium spray paint and so used that. Quite like how shiny it is, shame it won't be noticeable once the halves are joined though. 

 

Here it is with a dark dirt Flory wash 

 

20170916_220336.jpg

 

Whilst that was drying the floor along the lengthy of the aircraft got a brown ink wash once the cockpit had been glued in place. 

 

20170916_220340.jpg

 

Windows hadnt been added yet but couldn't resist a quick dry fit to see how the cockpit would look in situ. 

 

Looks like the map is going to be visible! Hooray. 

20170917_100547.jpg

 

20170917_100552.jpg

 

With that done the Flory was dry and this was removed using damp cotton wool. 

 

20170917_100809.jpg

 

I've left it darker than usual as I'm hoping some of it will be visible through the rear access door. 

 

Now it was time for the windows. The instructions show to use part number 13 for the oval windows however there aren't enough 13's and therefore i had to make up the rest using the other similar sized windows. 

 

Just so happened they were the right ones so Italeri must have messed up the numbering on the instructions. 

 

Anyway all windows in using PVA both inside and outside to make sure they are well stuck and not going to fall in! They aren't that transparent its like looking thriugh glasses that arent yours but they will do. Hope the canopy is clearer. 

 

Cockpit and internals stuck in place and now working on the front turret. 

 

The build seems to be progressing rather quickly! 

 

Oh. Test fit of the fuselage done and it's pretty bang on. Which is always nice. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks very good with the internals. Enough detail to look busy under the clear parts, which are  mostly the best of all by Italeri. Nice solution on the bombbay. Should'n t be seen with bombs in and under a coat of black and light weathering. Cheers

Edited by bbudde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Looks very good with the internals. Enough detail to look busy under the clear parts, which are  mostly the best of all by Italeri. Nice solution on the bombbay. Should'n t be seen with bombs in and under a coat of black and light weathering. Cheers

Thanks bbude 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×