It had a short wingspan but it did a stirling job- Italeri Short Stirling

Antb

8 hours ago, BIG X said:

This is a brilliant WIP - all the ups and downs we all go through - but keep plugging away - it is looking ACE - nearly there now - can't wait for the RFI

Thanks Steve that's awfully kind of you! 

I never really know what makes a good WIP that's going to be interesting ad enjoyable for folk so glad you're enjoying it! 

Hi guys 

I've been doing little bits on the build since the last update. Haven't had a proper modelling session but have been grabbing half an hour here and there and I'm happy to say that were almost finished. 

A touch of weathering, bomb bay doors, props, and a couple of bits and bobs and were done. Should be done within the next week fingers crossed. 

So since the last update we have this 

20171010_201148.jpg

Please excuse the picture it's a bit rubbish but you get the idea. 

First up were the engines. Nice and easy I thought. Hmmmm not so. 

20171008_202140.jpg

These bits went together nice and easy as expected but I had an issue with getting paint to stick. Even undercpat didn't want to adhere properly so I found a can of silver spray paint and used it. It worked but then I encountered another problem. The wash wouldn't stick to the silver. It just ran off.... 

However I preserved and managed to get some wash to stick to add some detail to the actual engine internals. 

Here's the wash pooling. Weird. 

20171008_202603.jpg

Once is resolved this little.problem it was a case of inserting the engines into the engine casings. Nice and easy once I'd figured that there were 3 grooves in 3 of the cylinders that lined up with the engine mounts. In they went. 

20171008_215134.jpg

The insides of the engine casings were painted interior green and it was a simple task to attach these to the aircraft. 

Oh wait, no it wasn't. 

Turns out that the engine mounts the the engine don't want to be attached at the same time. The engine sits on the wings in a way that they push out of the engines casings. So they couldn't go on together. 

Had to resort to pulling them  out and attaching so. 

20171008_221829.jpg

Great nice and simple getting the casings on and lined up. Guess what.... nope not straight forward at all. 

Pushing pulling and swearing is required. Doesn't say that in the instructions! 

20171009_200203.jpg

20171009_200219.jpg

What an absolute nightmare! 

20171009_200223.jpg

Eventually we got then to where they needed to be and no glue was used. The fit really is that tight. 

With that issue sorted it was time to add the air vents to the top of the engine. Nice and easy right. Cut off the sprue and attach along the fixing point? 

Erm.... 

20171010_194534.jpg

How on earth has that happened? The instructions would have you fit these before the engine casings. Good job I decided not to! 

Out with the sanding stick and quite a bit had to come off. Times 4. 

20171010_194956.jpg

All done and fitted. 

20171010_201148.jpg

These have since been painted, exhausts added and glossed ready for some flory action. 

This mess is the rear turret after masking and being sprayed black. 

20171011_185748.jpg

This is now drying. 

And that's where we are up to. 

To be fair most of these problems are probably my lack of modelling skills bit I got there in the end. 

Happy modelling! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, celt said:

I find, swearing and shouting come as standard with Italeri kits  :lol:Never done one,without bad language.Still you got there in the end.:goodjob:

I'm giving it a good go and trying to make it look semi decent. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

The central gear casing of wartime Hercules engines was painted semi-gloss black.

BristolHercules

Bristol Hercules a

Bristol Hercules

Hercules 001

Hercules III

Chris

Ok thanks Chris 

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

This has been an absolute pleasure to watch - top job:goodjob:

Thanks mate that's very nice of you to say so. 

Whats on your next to do list? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Antb said:

Thanks mate that's very nice of you to say so. 

Whats on your next to do list? 

I was talking to Lawzer about that - I've been on a bit of a downer for the last six weeks or so - nothing serious or sinister - I just can't get going at present.  The stash is overflowing and I've spent another fortune on a load of 1/72 stuff - but not a whiff of glue or paint has wafted across the desk in ages.

I have a week off coming up at the end of the month and I really need to get stuck into something - but watching your build is keeping my spirits up - thanks for keeping me smiling :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

I was talking to Lawzer about that - I've been on a bit of a downer for the last six weeks or so - nothing serious or sinister - I just can't get going at present.  The stash is overflowing and I've spent another fortune on a load of 1/72 stuff - but not a whiff of glue or paint has wafted across the desk in ages.

I have a week off coming up at the end of the month and I really need to get stuck into something - but watching your build is keeping my spirits up - thanks for keeping me smiling :) 

I know what you mean. It's easy to lose interest and motivation at times. Think after this one I'm going to take a break for a while myself and move onto something else for a bit. 

Will pick up again at some point but everyone has a limit, both in terms of shelf space and interest. 

I'm sure you will get it back and come back with another cracking build, or two! 

The stash and recent purchases sound interesting though.. .. 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Antb said:

The stash and recent purchases sound interesting though.. .. 

...er... yes... the new additions to the stash...

I had a tidy up and temporarily consigned all my 1/24 and 1/48 to the safety of the loft...

but then I thought... hmmm... 1/72 must give that a bit of a try - so I have acquired these over the last few weeks :blush:

stash.jpg

...whoops - so much for self control eh.  If you think this is embarrassing - you should see all the masks / decals / exhausts / guns :doh:

I want shooting  - or some mojo at least :oops:

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, BIG X said:

...er... yes... the new additions to the stash...

I had a tidy up and temporarily consigned all my 1/24 and 1/48 to the safety of the loft...

but then I thought... hmmm... 1/72 must give that a bit of a try - so I have acquired these over the last few weeks :blush:

stash.jpg

...whoops - so much for self control eh.  If you think this is embarrassing - you should see all the masks / decals / exhausts / guns :doh:

I want shooting  - or some mojo at least :oops:

Good grief! That's one heck of a stash. 

The Heinkel looks like it could be an interesting WIP 😉

Good afternoon guys 

A quick update just to say that the Stirling has been finished with the exception of the inner bomb bay doors. 

Unfortunately the individual doors have caused me so many problems that I've ran out of patience with the build and have decided that I can live with it not having them on for now. 

The main ones on the outside of the bomb bay have been added to make it look a little more finished. 

The doors are a nightmare as single pieces and they just won't line up and then stick in place. It's a shame as the build is 99% there but I can't get motivated to fight with this last bit. 

Photos to follow as soon as but she's done. 

And she doesn't fit in the cabinet. Unbelievably her wingspan  is too big..... 

• Sad 1

Oh no...  Stupid question - can the doors be cut or scored along panel lines somehow - to give them more 'flex' - time to walk away - take some deep breaths and know you can always come back to it.

Has anyone come across this problem - it's a kit I am unfamiliar with myself.

On 15/10/2017 at 15:51, BIG X said:

Oh no...  Stupid question - can the doors be cut or scored along panel lines somehow - to give them more 'flex' - time to walk away - take some deep breaths and know you can always come back to it.

Has anyone come across this problem - it's a kit I am unfamiliar with myself.

Hi mate

I will take some pictures of the bomb bay and doors shortly so you can see what they look like. 

• Thanks 1

You can see in my thread (see Post 11 here) that I had problems with them too. If I was doing another I'd stick them all to an inner former if closed and make real hinges if open. Most of Italeri's engineering is quite okay but these aren't!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

You can see in my thread (see Post 11 here) that I had problems with them too. If I was doing another I'd stick them all to an inner former if closed and make real hinges if open. Most of Italeri's engineering is quite okay but these aren't!

Thanks ed will take a look. 

Still haven't found the will to sort it out as yet....

• Like 1

• 1 year later...