It had a short wingspan but it did a stirling job- Italeri Short Stirling

Antb

So work continues on this big bird. Started working on the front turret. Italeri well placed ejector marks strike again. 

20170917_140626.jpg

These were filled with a smidge of filler and sanded flat. 

This part actually holds the turret in place within the nose so it was painted black and inserted. However, after building the turret including the glazing I found that the turret was too large to just fit into place. I had to remove some of the mounting ring as per the below

20170917_211346.jpg

Not overly ideal but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Means I can't rotate the turret but I wouldn't want to anyway as it's quite fragile. 

Here's the turret masked and in situ. 

20170917_211846.jpg

It wasn't until after building and painting the turret that I realised the inside should be aluminium and not black. I can live with it for now. 

You will notice the glazing doesn't fit the back properly. Try as I might I couldn't get it to sit right but given the fact that this is behind the nose section anyway I can live with it. 

Next up was to finish the internals. I added the rest of the bits towards the back of the aircraft that will be seen through the rear access door which I will model open. 

And with this the internals were done. 

20170918_195738.jpg

Quickly.put together the mid upper turret and left the glazing off to make painting easier. I will add it once painted up as a final touch. And on with getting her buttoned up. 

20170918_195726.jpg

And here she lies tonight drying like a beached whale. She's massive!!!! 

20170918_200346.jpg

Bit of a problem area with the front but the rest seems to have joined like a dream. We will see when she's dry in a day or two. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Those Brownings on the mid-upper look to be rather long . . . think I miight be inclined to cut them down abiit.

I'm sure somebody with have the actual length of a .303 machine gun so the correct length can be resolved.

Just a thought.:tmi:

Come to think of they do seem a bit long. Hadn't really noticed until you just pointed it out. 

Let me see what I can do to make then look better 

• Like 1

Evening guys 

Wanted to share some more work has been done. 

She has now been buttoned up, clamps and elastic bands have been removed and the fit was good with the exception of a slight step between the cockpit and the mid upper turret and the nose underneath the front turret. 

20170918_195840.jpg

20170918_195845.jpg

Didn't take any further photos but have filled all along the seams and sanded down. Splashed some paint over the seams to see what they look like and they appear OK. Don't think I will need any more filler or sanding. 

The front turret doesn't look straight but it's in and I can't see how it can't be. It just slots into a square piece. I've also noticed that the bomb bay hasn't quite sat right along the length of the fuselage when joined and is slightly squiffy. It didn't seem to sit in the ledge that was in there and didn't notice until I was sanding everything down. I'm not going to open everything back up to resolve it as it's only slight and once the bomb bay doors are on it won't be noticeable. And blacks a good colour to hide mistakes.. ... 

Here's where I'm at this evening seams sanded and the paint along the seams has been applied. 

20170920_190135.jpg

20170920_190143.jpg

And a side shot of her on the stand. She's massive and it looks great so far. Looking forward to getting some proper paint on! 

20170920_190159.jpg

I'm tempted to do her in flight but I don't usually model flying aircraft. 

What do you guys reckon? Yay or nay? 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I never do in-flight -- too much risk of unmanning myself in front of the missus by flying it around the house.

What you mean like running round shouting NEEEEEEEOOOOOWWWWW isn't manly? :o

Oh eck! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not much done so just a little.update. 

The top seams showed through the paint and so more filler was applied and sanded. 

I've attached the glazing under the nose and the fit is, well, terrible. When this dries I will add a touch of filler in the gaps and sand down. 

20170921_193752.jpg

20170921_193758_001.jpg

20170921_193814.jpg

I've also had a go at reinstating the panel lines that were lost as a result of sanding. Can't reinstate the rivet detail though which is unfortunate. 

I've never been any good at using the scribing tool so had a go using some tamiya tape. Didn't turn out too bad. 

20170921_191510.jpg

I've tidied up since taking this 

20170921_191525.jpg

She's coming on nicely. Already thinking what to do next.. .. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I haven't built a heavy since I was a nipper but this thread is inspiring me. And more importantly, I'm pleased your little fella is on the mend.

Thank you. 

4 engined bombers are great. If love to do one in 1/48 but finding the room is a problem. I'd love the 1/48 Lancaster. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Antb said:

Thank you. 

4 engined bombers are great. If love to do one in 1/48 but finding the room is a problem. I'd love the 1/48 Lancaster. 

That's the problem for me too, I just don't have the space to do 1/48 bombers. I also love Revell's 1/72 Type VIIC U-boat but that's an absolute monster as well so I had to settle for their 1/144 version (although that's currently languishing in the hallowed halls of the Hall of Shame).

But I reckon I can stretch to a 1/72 bomber, now the tricky question, a Lanc, a Stirling, a Wellington, etc, etc :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

But I reckon I can stretch to a 1/72 bomber, now the tricky question, a Lanc, a Stirling, a Wellington, etc, etc :D 

A wellington would get my vote. Im tempted by one. There's just something about the aircraft that appeals. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

That's what I'm leaning towards too. Now do I go for one of the existing ones or wait for the new tool Airfix one?

At least I know it'll be 75 Sqn whatever kit I use!

The new airfix one does look quite nice but depends how eager you are to build one and whether you can wait. 

7 hours ago, celt said:

Making noises while running round the room holding a model aircraft is not manly,its no wonder SWMBO looks at me with pity then.:lol:BTW  nice progress on the Stirling.:clap2:

Cheers Celt. Happy flying :lol:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

If you think that the Sterling is BIG, have a go at building either a B-52 or B-36 in 1/72 then try saying that a 1/72 Sterling is BIG :D

Gondor

I've seen that they are quite large! Thank fully I don't do jets so won't be needing to find room for one :lol:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, celt said:

I have not done a four engined bomber since I built the Airfix Sterling many moons ago.:clif:Your build has tempted me to give it another bash at building one.:thanks:

Excellent! What you thinking of doing? 

Some more work done. 

I'm a bit peeved with myself as have made a silly mistake on one of the wings but more on that in the next update. 

So, from the last update this is what's happened. 

The under nose glazing gap was filled and smoothed out. You'd never know there was an issue. Well, that's until paint goes on and shows more work is needed! 

The tail and stabilisers were built, seams sanded lightly and attached the tail of the aircraft. The fit was really tight which helped with keeping them straight and level. Hats off to italeri for that one (if it was intentional) 

20170923_123002.jpg

A small amount of filler was required which has been done. 

Canopy was removed from the frame, tidied up a little and slotted into place. Fit was good just needed a couple of the wife's hair bobbkes wrapped around to hold it down to sit properly. 

As you can see framing has been masked. 

She actually looks like a stirling now! 

20170923_123007.jpg

And then onto the wings. Ah Yes, the wings. 

Where do we start with these. Well, italeri has you butchering the wings to open up loads of different bits and bobs in the wings. Nightmare. 

20170923_120741.jpg

Quite a daunting prospect really. Here's the wing to be chopped. 

20170923_120750.jpg

@The Spadgent has Dexter. I have, erm, wait he doesn't have a name! 

20170923_120902.jpg

He who should not be named was about to get stuck in. 

Choppy chop, sawy saw. We had this 

20170923_121159.jpg

20170923_121414.jpg

And repeat. 3 more times. Or so I thought. See the bit chopped out of the wing leading edge. Doesn't need it on the other wing. So guess what, I've had to stick back in what got chopped out and that's currently sat curing ready for filling and sanding. :rage:

You live and learn. 

I've also masked all the side windows. 

I've made the decision to close the wings up and will fit the undercarriage at a later date. The instructions have you fit the undercarriage before closing the wings up which would be really awkward to paint. 

I'm confident that with a bit of a squeeze I can get the undercarriage in and fixed. If I can't, well,  it's a bit too late now. I will have to cross that bridge if it comes to it. 

• Like 3

Wow. How I missed this I don't know. Before anything else, sorry to hear about the boys op, hopefully all is better by now. ^_^  Really great choice of plane and such great work, the office looks ace. That map is something else. Lovely internals and Flory work too. I know what you mean about size. I bought the Tamiya Lanc two birthdays ago but I can't find anywhere for it to go.:o

Ill tag along if you don't mind. You're a man after my own heart.

Fair winds sir.

Jont.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Wow. How I missed this I don't know. Before anything else, sorry to hear about the boys op, hopefully all is better by now. ^_^  Really great choice of plane and such great work, the office looks ace. That map is something else. Lovely internals and Flory work too. I know what you mean about size. I bought the Tamiya Lanc two birthdays ago but I can't find anywhere for it to go.:o

Ill tag along if you don't mind. You're a man after my own heart.

Fair winds sir.

Jont.

Thanks John 

You're too kind. Feel free to tag along! 

're the little one, he's doing really well! It's amazing how kids just bounce back from stuff. 

I had a look at the 1/48 Lancaster in the LMS a few weeks ago and the sheer size of it blew me away. It's a super kit but where on earth does it go? Crackers. 

Id love to see how you would get on with the kit. It would be a stunner. Imagine flying that one around the house :party:

I've got a wing stuck on the stirling. It does look funny with a massive fuselage and a tiny wing! 

The jig I've made to support the wing took some effort. Ahem. 

20170923_212607.jpg

Edited by Antb
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

She's a beauty for sure. Pegging the instructions to the inside of that drawer.  I need some drawers. :lol:

you're right about the kids. They do seem to bounce back from everything.  :penguin:

Jont

Oh god yes forgot I'd got that in the photo! I've got a small corner of the living room so have to make use of every bit of space I can. Keeps them out of the way. 

Ikea specials those drawers are. Keep my paints and tools secure from little (and big) fingers. I'm trying to convince SWMBO that I need shelves instead. Keep dreaming she says.... 

• Like 2