It had a short wingspan but it did a stirling job- Italeri Short Stirling

Antb

Good evening fellow modellers

I haven't built anything since the nightmare 110C build a few months ago but I think I have my aircraft mojo back and I present to you the 

It had A short wingspan but it did a stirling job build. 

Massive apologies for the rubbish title couldn't think of anything simpler.. .. 

This build will be completely out of box and I won't be adding any aftermarket with the exception of an Eduard mask set. I'm not even going to attempt cutting the masks myself for the glazing on this one. 

As ever I don't profess to be an exceptional modeller or 100% accurate I do it for fun and that's all that matters to me. 

Happy to take any and all advice as want to learn. Anyway enough of the waffling on with some pics. 

Here the obligatory box shot 

20170909_201455.jpg

I'm going for the option on the box. MacRoberts reply. 

20170909_201914.jpg

And the sprues 

20170909_201527.jpg

20170909_201943.jpg

And a small PE fret. 

20170909_201928.jpg

As the X Factor is on tonight it's time to get cracking. 

• Like 18

Great to see a Stirling build. My grandad was on these. It might be a short wingspan but they're a big model, even for 1/72 scale! 

Looking forward to it, will enjoy it with you :).

:popcorn: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks chaps 

11 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Great to see a Stirling build. My grandad was on these. It might be a short wingspan but they're a big model, even for 1/72 scale! 

Looking forward to it, will enjoy it with you :).

:popcorn: 

Best regards

TonyT

Hi Tony 

You're not kidding she's massive! Looks odd with the massive fuselage and the short stubby wings, not the usual set up I guess. 

Hope you enjoy following along and I can do it some justice. 

9 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

I hope you do a sterling job on it, having parted with your Sterling currency for this Stirling.

Oh dear Ed. Time to get your :coat: :lol:

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Antb said:

As the X Factor is on tonight it's time to get cracking.

Model building on the X-Factor ? I shall vote for you, no matter what your singing's like.

Best of luck with the build Ant.

:thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Model building on the X-Factor ? I shall vote for you, no matter what your singing's like.

Best of luck with the build Ant.

:thumbsup2:

Tony

Ha cheers mate. 

You really wouldn't want to hear my singing... Tone deaf according to the kids. 

Yes good old X Factor. The only good thing about that programme is that It gives me an excuse to have some bench time. Gets my vote! 

• Like 3

I built the first version when it came out. An out of the box build for this should look fine. The only non-OOB things I did was to tone down the panel lines a little and change the markings. I wanted something different for the markings but the panel lines are a subjective thing. You may well be happy with them.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965440-italeri-stirling/&

The Airfix version is not that bad but the Italeri is rather better, which it should be given the age and cost of the two. I shall follow your build with interest.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Strangely a lovely aircraft in flight but those legs . . .:doh:

I know. They're huuuuuge aren't they. I had toyed with the idea of wheels up but the legs are an appeal of the aircraft. So ugly yet so beautiful. 

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

I built the first version when it came out. An out of the box build for this should look fine. The only non-OOB things I did was to tone down the panel lines a little and change the markings. I wanted something different for the markings but the panel lines are a subjective thing. You may well be happy with them.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965440-italeri-stirling/&

The Airfix version is not that bad but the Italeri is rather better, which it should be given the age and cost of the two. I shall follow your build with interest.

Thanks ed. I know why some folk would be unhappy with the panel lines but I'm ok with them. They should lie down a little once primed and painted (I hope)

I did have a look around for alternate markings but couldn't see much out there for a mark 1. Plenty for a mark 3 though. 

So far progress has been good. Update to follow this evening. 

• Like 1

Hi chaps 

I'm going to have to shelve the build for a week or so. My 3 year old son was rushed to hospital last night and he's having to have an operation in the morning. It's all very unexpected. 

Cheers for now 

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, Antb said:

Hi chaps 

I'm going to have to shelve the build for a week or so. My 3 year old son was rushed to hospital last night and he's having to have an operation in the morning. It's all very unexpected. 

Cheers for now 

I'm very sorry to hear that Ant, I hope all goes well and he makes a quick recovery.

gazza l

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Sh.t!  I just liked with a laugh (the original topic cause of the title). Just read the latest comments :(

hope all goes well mate.

Hey up Lawzer - you can go back to your laugh and click on it to make it go away or change it for something else...

Regards - Bill Gates

• Like 1

Evening guys. 

Thank you all for the lovely comments. They mean a great deal. 

Just a quick update. The operation went well and they located the source of the problem. He's in a lot of pain despite being dosed up on morphine but fingers crossed they've said around a week and he should be home. This is great as its the wife's and my birthday on the 19th so would be a great present. 

Anyway I don't want to turn this away from the build thread but wanted to say thank you for the comments again. You guys are the best. 

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, Antb said:

Evening guys. 

Thank you all for the lovely comments. They mean a great deal. 

Just a quick update. The operation went well and they located the source of the problem. He's in a lot of pain despite being dosed up on morphine but fingers crossed they've said around a week and he should be home. This is great as its the wife's and my birthday on the 19th so would be a great present. 

Anyway I don't want to turn this away from the build thread but wanted to say thank you for the comments again. You guys are the best. 

Let's hope for a brilliant birthday then :cake:

• Like 2