Revell P51D

Lawzer

Hi folks,

while the Corsair awaits it's wheel HUBS (thanks in advance @Ade H) :

DSC_5444

I thought I'd get another victim on the go (thanks to @mike romeo for the bargain!)...

DSC_5439

DSC_5438

For this I'm going to *try* and use my new toy:

DSC_5440

Bot of a tidy up required maybe first....

DSC_5441

Dog shaking it's head in despair ;)

DSC_5442

Anyway I've decided to do this as it's a fairly colourful scheme (thanks to @rs2man for the cheap decal set!)....

DSC_5443

Reason I'm doing a WIP is this is *well* outside my comfort zone and I'm looking for tips/suggestions.  I'm going to try and re-scribe the whole thing, do a nmf (well, not foil but as close as tamiya acrylics will allow) and perhaps try some pre-shading (done before without a great deal of success) and if you folks think perhaps a bit of black basing.

Anyway, wish me luck :)

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 5

I think you should listen to the dog, mate! ;)

I've got the old Revell 32nd scale MkIII in my stash and it looks just as much of a 'bear' as that old 48th scale one.

If you're going for an NMF then I'd recommend trying Alclad's lacquers - if you can, that is. They also do a black base colour for their metallics which would help with the 'pre-shading' idea. If you're tied to using Tamiya's acrylics then I'd try using some satin (X-18) or gloss (X-1) black for the pre-shading and then a base of X-11 (Chrome Silver) which can be mixed with some X-19 (Smoke) for emphasising selected panels.

HTH

Kev

• Like 1

I'm no expert on scribing, but in my opinion, less is more.  Removable panels (engine and gun panels, f'r instance) and major construction joints do it for me.  

Scribing wings is easier (not easy) due to the flattish section.  Fuse panels less so.  If panel lines go across the fuse halves, you really have to do this once the halves are joined to ensure they match. Scribing on compound cuves: beyond me, I'm afraid!

On the P-51, the first ~40% of the wing chord should be pretty smooth, I believe.

Good luck!

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, modelman182 said:

I think you should listen to the dog, mate! ;)

I've got the old Revell 32nd scale MkIII in my stash and it looks just as much of a 'bear' as that old 48th scale one.

If you're going for an NMF then I'd recommend trying Alclad's lacquers - if you can, that is. They also do a black base colour for their metallics which would help with the 'pre-shading' idea. If you're tied to using Tamiya's acrylics then I'd try using some satin (X-18) or gloss (X-1) black for the pre-shading and then a base of X-11 (Chrome Silver) which can be mixed with some X-19 (Smoke) for emphasising selected panels.

HTH

Kev

Cheers- when (if) it gets that far I'll bear that in mind :)

4 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

I'm no expert on scribing, but in my opinion, less is more.  Removable panels (engine and gun panels, f'r instance) and major construction joints do it for me.  

Scribing wings is easier (not easy) due to the flattish section.  Fuse panels less so.  If panel lines go across the fuse halves, you really have to do this once the halves are joined to ensure they match. Scribing on compound cuves: beyond me, I'm afraid!

On the P-51, the first ~40% of the wing chord should be pretty smooth, I believe.

Good luck!

Regards

Martin

Cheers for the info! :)

i made a start on the scribing (already 3 "deviations" that'll need to be filled).

no pain no gain ;)

OK a small update...

DSC_5445

Scribing has been done.  I fear some of them are like canals but hey ho....

Putty was to cover up some "slips" apart from the rear of the starboard fuselage - sink mark :)

As @mike romeo said it'll be easier to try and scribe the lines that cross the fuselage join after it's been put together.

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dont forget most mustang wings were puttied to help smooth airflow. Very few panel lines other than the gun/ammo panels and a couple of inspection panels.

Hhmmmm.....i may have overstepped the mark a bit :(

i might fill in some of the other lines.....

• Like 1

Hello lawzer i think this will help i took a screenshot from another post a while ago here on BM. I think they had taken it from another Forum. So all credit to whoever's the original post was. I used this when i did my 1/72 P-51 a couple of months ago. SGBsK02.jpg

It shows the different colors of aluminum and duraluminum as well as what was filled in. Hope it helps.

To the Moderators If i violated any rules here at BM. I promise it is unintentional and was never done on purpose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello lawzer i think this will help i took a screenshot from another post a while ago here on BM. I think they had taken it from another Forum. So all credit to whoever's the original post was. I used this when i did my 1/72 P-51 a couple of months ago. SGBsK02.jpg

It shows the different colors of aluminum and duraluminum as well as what was filled in. Hope it helps.

To the Moderators If i violated any rules here at BM. I promise it is unintentional and was never done on purpose. 

Cheers mate! :)

• Like 1

Hi Ian - if you look at the picture of the scheme you are using it is covered in panel lines - look under the wing...

DSC_5443

...'silver birds' look brilliant with sharp black panel lines.

Don't forget - it's not ALL about reality...

...it's about having fun too and if YOU want loads of panel lines and a stunning looking model then go for it!!!

It's your model and - who knows - maybe they ran out of putty on that particular day ;) 

• Like 2

I agree with you BIG X. Build them however you want. I wasn't sure if Lawzer was going for super accurate because of the replaced panel lines in the above posts. Or is this just a fun build. But i thought id point out the wing panel lines in case he wasn't aware. 

• Like 2

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:41, Lawzer said:

1/144 ...had my magnifying glasses on for the weathering ;)

The weathering around the muzzle is superb - remember - less is more ;) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BIG X said:

The weathering around the muzzle is superb - remember - less is more ;) 

Wait till you see the german shepard model i did in full diorama running... ;)

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Wait till you see the german shepard model i did in full diorama running... ;)

I simply have no words - I'll keep my eyes open for RFI in the diorama area of the forum :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

so a small update.  foil seatbelts half on.  front grill drilled out (although it doesn't look like it is in the pics). ready to be buttoned up.  However it's a clear view through the what I believe is the supercharger/oil cooler.  I'll need to try and do something with that....

DSC_5452DSC_5454

DSC_5453DSC_5455

not going to fit the tail wheel or radiator (or supercharger - not sure which) flap till later.  Checked I can do it when fuselage is buttoned up.....

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Good progress!

It's pretty rough going - the plastic is somthick and hard.....broke 3 drill bits already :(

11 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Silver birds, I like em!

Monogram too!

Can I just show you what I picked up for a couple of quid -

IMG_20170918_202217

Lovely...

Are you sure you want to use paint, and not Ali foil?

Ah look, here's a seat....😃

Nice!  I'm on the lookout for kits like these now.  Got a few tamiyas in the stash but going forward - retro all the way :)

foil hhmmmmm - beyond mynskill set but i might give it a go.  Could be the fuselage and most of the wing in foil (it'll end up looking like a bad Christmas turkey ;) ) and the flaps etc painted.......

• Like 3