If you're one of the gradually reducing number of folks that aren't currently receiving notifications to topics you've subscribed to, or PMs you're receiving, first check you've got the correct address in your profile, then drop in and post your experience in this thread, remembering to tell us your email provider's details, which is the part after the @ in your email address.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

shood23

1/12 Ferrari SF70-H

Nice work Shaun,

I don't think anyone has answered you yet, but I think the part you asked to be identified are the turning vanes that sit under the nose just behind the front wing pylons.

Your indeed correct f1insider no body has answered it yet. Your almost correct in the what and where they are, they are the tuning vanes directly beneath the lower front suspension arms. 

Shaun 

Right so I've really been slacking on this build I feel with the updates not really progressing the build enough so I have decided to move rear wards on the car and get a few on the more overlooked parts done while I'm waiting for other bits to be ready for the next phase. 

So before I left for work today I got out the rear underside body panels that I had sprayed up in gloss black. You can't really tell in the picture but the surface is a mirror. Honestly one of the best rattle can blacks I have ever used. 

20171016_130111

So now moving on, before I sprayed the part I took a template with masking tape. Using mfh square carbon decal I cut around the template to give that little bit more room for error. Stuck it down with micro set and micro sol and a little heat from the wife's hairdryer and voila. Again the picture doesn't show the full effect of how well the decal sat down on the part but given how many different angle there are there is very little to be unhappy about. 

20171016_130026

And just sat on the floor pan to give a representation of where the part will go. It also shows the curvature a little better. 

20171016_130204

More soon 

Shaun 

That seems to have gone down a treat Shaun, do you know who makes those for mfh

I was wondering who might have done them for mfh, have used some Hobby design ones and they settled like these with microsol

Ah I understand Colin. At the moment I'm not too sure but when I get in from work I'll have a gander at the sheet to see if there's a name anywhere. 

And you are indeed correct Mr sabre this car is taking up a lot of space aswell as a lot of my spare time so far. Just hoping I can get some red and white on the main parts of the car before I shut the airbrush down over the winter. 

Shaun 

So finally an update to this build. 

Most of my time went to to finishing another build but this was worked a little also. My main priority was getting the body ready for final primer, so sorting all the little gaps and bits have been the main work but it is finally finished and I can now get 1 last coat of grey primer down, flat it down ready for the white primer and then hopefully some lovely 2017 Ferrari red paint. 

20171110_105845

This area just where the fins on the side of the moncoque are was the worst for fit and the line just didn't want to fill

20171110_105925

And then finally one of the stormtroop style inlets.

20171110_105933

More soon 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23

Right so after a bit of an extended break this is kind of back on the table. 

So starting off with the bad. 

The oil coolers, or what ever Ferrari used them for, for some reason had bubbled even though they have never been near any souce of heat. So I cut them off and will have a sort of Austria spec floor now. I could heat them and flatten them out again but honestly as I don't know what caused the bubble in the first place I don't want to risk it happening again after I've painted and got decals on. 

20180103_124830

Obviously after taking them off the floor required quite a bit of clean up. It didn't take too long so I'm not to worried. 

20180103_124909

I'm not sure if I had said before but I wasn't happy with the finish on the wheels so into ipa they went and out come the filler to fix the bits I wasn't 100% happy with. 

20180103_124840

The gearbox area was one of the bits I was originally going to take a short cut with as it wasn't going to be seen much but this just bugged me so again I have filled the gaps and soon will get some more primer on. 

20180103_124849

The little horned s-duct part had the gaps filled also. 

20180103_125016

The nose has also had it main aero bit added and gaps filled it's now ready for primer. 

20180103_125007

And finally on the prep side of things there was always a little dip on the part of the body where the shark fin meets the engine cover from top to bottom. I feel this may have been caused by me being too hard while sanding but it fixed now so I can happily move on. 

20180103_124942

So now the nose cone has been sprayed with primer again. There are a couple a very small bits I'm not 100% happy with but it's mainly just for in the primer that I can sand out. 

20180110_162623

The main body has been sprayed in primer again also. As you will see the lower front suspension arms have been glued on also, this was because when I tried them out testing the gap was huge so I got it closed as much as I could but ultimately I would not be happy with even a 1mm gap that shouldn't be there so glued them on and filled the gap. 

20180110_162450

The biggest part to change is the floor pan. The whole bit has now been primed, flatted back and sprayed with Halfords gloss black. Now I just need to get the carbon on and it's done. 

20180110_162409

More soon 

Shaun 

Great progress Shaun, I know how these little issues can eat away at you. it's always better to go back and work through them rather than leave them be.

looking forward to the next update.

Keith.

great build so far!