1/12 Ferrari SF70-H

shood23

agree, zero paints cover lovely. just a shame they come in such big bottles. i have bottles of the stuff with just small amounts used, with so much waste ill never use again.

• Thanks 1

On 16/02/2018 at 7:45 AM, Kev The Modeller said:

What a great finish to the red mate looks flawless.  What needle size and pressure did you use mate.

Needle is 0.5 I think at roughly 22-26 psi. Clear coat will go up a little higher though as I find it lays down nicer. 

On 16/02/2018 at 1:15 PM, Hugh Jampton said:

Stunning!

I'm sure you will but can you describe your finishing and polishing techniques in detail further on, I love the way your bodywork look with all you other builds.

Regards

John

For now I don't touch the paint unless I have to. Ironically I did inbetween coats as a huge bit of junk got on the nose cone, this was just sanded off with 2500 grit wet and dry then recoated.

After a couple of coats of clear I will sand back a little with the 2500 again then maybe 1 more coat of clear, then decals, more clear, then micromesh from 4000 up through the grades to 12000 and finally some Brazilian wax and never touch it with bare hands again. If I do anything differently for this because of size I will point it out when I do it though. 

2 hours ago, noeyedears said:

agree, zero paints cover lovely. just a shame they come in such big bottles. i have bottles of the stuff with just small amounts used, with so much waste ill never use again.

I know exactly what you mean, for this I ordered 2 60ml pots thinking it was going to be like the 04-06 frmerrari red which I went through near enough 1 whole pot for a 1/20 car a while ago. But so far on the whole body I've only used around 10-15ml so I've got alot left over for the Tamiya SF70H and the DTM SF70H if I ever build them. 

Shaun  

• Like 1

Right so before I get around to adding some clear to the body on this build (zero paint clear not Mr top coat this time) I feel I need to get all the other body parts to the same readiness. 

So the front wing has had all the gaps sanded through to take any extra material out properly and all the holes have been drilled and a mock up off all front end components was done but not pictured just to make sure it all sat right. Then finally some primer. 

20180222_184907

The front hatch bit with s-duct was put in primer a while ago but dumbly I forgot to add the little antenna stork so this was added and all primer coated again then flatter back so it's now fully ready for white primer then the red. 

20180222_190049

Its quite nicely contrasting with the red though. 

20180222_190228

The rear panels that hide all the inner suspension components have also had a coat of primer added. 

20180222_185939

And then finally the side aero parts have been put in primer. Not quite sure what happened to these last 2 pictures as they on on a black background not blue. 

20180222_185916

Anyway more soon 

Shaun  

• Like 1

On 20/02/2018 at 09:56, shood23 said:

Needle is 0.5 I think at roughly 22-26 psi. Clear coat will go up a little higher though as I find it lays down nicer. 

Interesting, I'd have thought that was too small and you'd get issues with clogging, clearly you don't.  I'm assuming you're using only Zero paints?

As for clear through, what probably 0.2 what thinning ratio and pressure do you use?  Sorry for all the questions mate just trying to learn. 

Don't worry kev ask away I'm happy to help. 

All the colour coats of paint I've used on this so far have been zero paints only the primers have not been. I've only ever had issues with clogging with alclad gloss black base but I'm putting that down to more my fault than alclad as it wasn't too long after i first started using an airbrush.

And I use my good old trusty iwata revolution CR for everything so the clear coat will also be painted with a 0.5 at probably just under 30psi as I find that works a little better at higher pressure. But for now I need to wait for a slightly better temp and humidity day until I can even think about clear as that's the big trick I've learnt is the better conditions the better finish.

Shaun