1/12 Ferrari SF70-H

shood23

First off I'd like to take a minute and admit that I am a weak person. I planned to leave this alone until atleast the end October and use it as my winter build when the f1 season finishes, but after looking through the box couldn't stop myself from having a little fiddle (not that way :cwl: ) and as more and more came out the box more bits were trimmed and cut off the mountings and placed together. 

So on to the kit. 

The obligatory box shot. I find it hard to believe how they fit the whole car in this as it's not much bigger than a couple of tamiya boxes. 

20170909_115803

First thing out of the box is this plastic wallet. It's a nice touch compared to the last mfh kit I made.

20170909_115845

Inside the wallet are the assembly instructions and decal guide. 

20170909_115855

Under the decals guide was the decal sheet and carbon decals. 

20170909_115924

So moving into the box again and first out is the etch parts. There's not as many as I thought there would be considering the size of the car.

20170909_120108

Also on the etch plate it comes with some helpful guides to show how the diffuser strakes need to be bent. 

20170909_120117

The tyres are really nice and don't have the fujimi/tamiya centre seem. Also it helps that the Pirelli markings have been pre printed like ebbro as it saves me messing them up like normal. 

20170909_120201

A little comparison between 2 front tyres 15 years apart. On the left is the mfh front tyre and on the right is a revell f2002 front tyre. 

20170909_120256

So it's now at this stage where I got a little impatient and just took every thing out the box. This is all the little bags with all the smaller resin and white metal parts. 

20170909_120406

The rims are nice aluminium, very light and the tyre fit on them like a glove. 

20170909_120442

So in bag 1 was the rear wing, gearbox/rear crash structure, seat, roll hoop/intake and the part for the lower part of the monocoque. 

20170909_120546

In bag 2 are the unique side pods, nose cone, radiator parts, lower body parts and cockpit horns. 

20170909_121210

Bag 3 was the front wing and clever oil cooling sheets. 

20170909_122511

In the last resin bag are the wheel hubs and other little misc parts. 

20170909_122123

Now the floor pan. This is a bit that I have spent around half an hour just looking at today, it is literally a work of art and half the bits for it are not even one yet. 

20170909_115956

And finally the main body section. 

20170909_115947

As you can guess for being a new kit there is little to no extra material that needs sanding off but obviously with resin it's not perfect as there are a couple of bubbles that need sorting and from a few little test the fit in some areas will need a bit of work. 

So this Is where I left the big beastie at the end of the day. 

20170909_122742_001

20170909_122829

It's easily 45cms long from tip to tail and that's before you count the rear end which sticks out another few cms. None of the white metal parts have been touched yet either as I am waiting for a new polisher to turn up. 

More soon  

Shaun  

• Like 5

Are some of the fit issues due to the resin shrinking back or just not a very good fit in general Shaun, because for the price of the kits and being one of their later ones I would have thought it would be spot on

I think it's more due to distortion to be honest Colin as with a little force the gap closes right up, it shouldn't be a major issue as I will be using an epoxy glue so that will hold anything to anything forever. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

Shaun

Looks very impressive and will look forward to following this thread.

The first thought when I opened up this thread was what a coincidence as I have just, this afternoon, received this little beauty, my first 1/12 scale and admittedly 34 years earlier than yours but still a red one!

36975477536_df5184fb10_b.jpg

Be interesting to read your comments on the polisher when it turns up, as (I promise I'm not stalking you) I was contemplating one myself, at around £160 I will have to save my pennies again.

Regards

John

1 hour ago, colin said:

Is the polisher you mention a vibrating type, I wondered if a roller polisher would do the same thing as they are a third cheaper

Colin, obviously I'm not sure what polisher Shaun is thinking of but there's a lot of talk on this site of the electric jewellery polisher and that's the one I've been looking at.

What roller polished was you thinking of?

I have only had experience with one 1/20 MFH kit previously and, to a point, buggered up the white metal tub due to using my drimel at to high a speed and the Chuck scoring the metal. I found using a suede brush on the smaller parts and varnishing immediately after a much better solution for a chrome finish.

As a novice I'm always reading from the more experienced guys on this site.

John

These are the ones I've looked at, don't think you could put any thing to large in them though, they aren't as quck as a vibrating one so it's said and I'm not even sure if they would work with white metal, depends what medium you use for polishing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Rotary-Tumbler-Jewelry-Polisher-Finisher-Machine-With-Polishing-Bead-3kg-From-UK/895069696?iid=252944507778

• Like 1

Right so to answer some of the questions raised. I was getting a magnetic polisher not a rotary one but unfortunately the guy I was supposed to be getting it off called off our deal ( I suspect someone offered him more for it) so after this I was in a bit of a foul mood and just left the car alone but last night and this morning I have started on a few of the white metal parts with the new dremel and polisher set I bought with the money that was going to go to the polisher, I never had the polisher set with my old dremel and my god it's good so this lifted my mood and more and more metal parts are getting ready for primer.

I did consider the rotary one but like you say Colin I was unsure on what medium to use so didn't want to waste money on something that may not have worked or even worse could have damaged stuff on a kit worth this much. 

And John that c4 just looks amazing, up until the sf70 was announced I did consider an older Ferrari or the xjr jags or possibly old 956s but a current spec f1 was too Good for me to look over but one of the other listed above will be bought next year. 

An update to the build will be up later as I am just waiting to do a tape test on a bit of resin that's had primer on. 

Shaun 

Right so some progress on the "big rari" as my youngest calls it. 

Today I made a start at cleaning up some of the metal bits and as it's going to be with the new dremel instead of a polisher I wanted to test on something I have multiples of so out comes Raikkonens and vettels steering wheels. 

20170910_111040

Now this is in no indication to who's car I am building as I was pretty confident that nothing bad would happen so Raikkonens wheel has been cleaned up and vettels not. 

20170910_111218

As that went well I made a start to the actual wheels. A small amount of material was needed to be removed from the disc of spokes so it fit in the Aluminium rim nicely. 

20170910_120722

Obviously being me I needed to see how it sat on the car.

20170910_120704

Not long after I got them in primer and now it's just a case of deciding between zeros and alclad for the rim colour. 

20170914_133738

Also another slightly more complex shape was dremeled and put in primer just so I could figure out if I needed another bit end to get in some of the deeper corners. A round of applause to anyone who can tell me where this bit goes on the car. 

20170914_133756

All of the resin bits have been scrubbed in fairy liquid water with sponges and tooth brushes then another round of scrubbing in a bowl of diluted window cleaner, it said it decreases so thought it couldn't hurt, once bits where dried I wanted to get some primer on a part that isn't too important to tape test. So this little bit that goes inside the car to block up the hole for the radiator was used as it pretty flat and would be easy to clean if anything wasn't right. But all went ok and no primer came off. 

20170914_134026

Some parts for the under body have been epoxy glued on and with some super glue in the corners just to make sure it's stuck stuck. 

20170914_133938

A little casualty that I think many people who make this will have is the little attachment point for the t wing. I bent mine but it's so small and a very easy fix and hopefully won't be noticeable when some paint is on. 

20170914_134007

Now on to some of the fixes to fitment I've had to do. 

The under body part is a little short and needed 2 layers of very thin plastic sheet to block up. Honestly most who have this issue so t even bother as the gap is literally under half a millimetre but for me if I can see it's not right I won't be happy. 

So I the 2 red circles 2 layers of thin card were added. 

2017-09-14_16.03.22

And finally so far the little horns on the top of the chassis. The piece was a tiny bit too wide, again when I say a tiny bit I mean the thickness of the micro saw I used to chop it and a few light scrapes over sand paper so again  under half a mm but again if I didn't try to fix it would have bugged me for the whole build. 

20170914_134305

So for today that's it. Maybe with some spare time over the weekend I may actually get to a priming body parts stage but I wouldn't hold out any hope of that. 

Anyway more soon 

Shaun 

• Like 3

Loving this thread. The weekends over Shaun and I need to know how this is coming on as I'm in the Canaries at the moment and getting withdrawal symptoms. It sad when you even contemplate taking a new kit on holiday to get some prep work in.

That resin piece you used as a test looked like it had some light ridges to it, was it a enhanced on the photo or actually like that? 

By the way, is this your first 1/12 kit? The c4 is mine but I have a couple tamiya F102 1/10 RC cars but even then I was blown away with the size of the cockpit for the c4.

John

Edited by Hugh Jampton
Bad English

Lucky for some John sunning it up in the canary islands, I know where I'd rather be between here and there. And yeah the little resin  primer test bit wasn't fully cleaned up on the edges it was only really just to see if I'd got all the mould release stuff off. Also no this isn't my first I have an f2008 part made in storage which I need to repaint at some point plus I made most of the 90s tamiya 1/12 kits. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

A small update to the build after such a disappointing Singapore gp for Ferrari, if the commentators were right it was the first time in Ferraris history in a gp where 2 cars have started and none have finished the first lap. 

After priming the wheels I noticed that I forgot to add a couple of bits on them so the what I'm guessing is wheel weight and valve stem was added and just need another coat of primer to get right. 

20170918_182759

Something that has slowed the process down quite a lot is the gaps between the side pods and the main body section. The gaps have slowly been filled up with plastic card to a look that I'm now happy with. 

Right side. 

20170918_182736

Left side. 

20170918_182725

Apart from that the only other things that have been done is the mould line down each side of the body from the side pods to the rear have been sanded back and filled in places and also the join between the upper and lower chassis parts has been filed and sanded until all level.. And then finally the whole body surface was sanded back to get ready for a little primer to see how much more sanding is needed. 

20170918_182643

Hopefully now the side pods are done I can really crack on with some other areas. 

Shaun 

• Like 3

So tume for this week's instalment of my big mfh build. 

After finally sorting the side pods at tge end of my last update i made the call to put some primer of the body and frankly I'm glad I did as there was so much I missed when sanding. Excuse the mess in the background I needed to make space for the car which as you can see is too large for my little makeshift picture cube, so it's either make a new bigger one or just buy one for not too much from eBay. 

20170921_154032

So above was done just before the weekend and since then I changed focus a little and made some progress with the floor pan, but then after looking at the mountain of pictures I have of the floor from the early to mid season car I noticed Ferrari use around 6-7 different styles of carbon fibre on just the floor alone so a swift order put in to hiroboy was made for some carbon to add to the many I already have. 

20170926_175144

Also while looking at the pictures I made the call to add rivets what not to the engine cover and where ever else they are needed so some rivets of larger diameters were also added to the order. 

20170926_175207

And then finally today I went around the car and drilled out the holes and deepen the recesses already in the body to accommodate the little rivets, which I am glad to say won't be out there shiny as Ferrari have them very dark in colour. Also this picture will give a better idea why I was glad I primed the body from the pin holes and dips near the airbox and on the shark fin. 

20170926_174817

More to come shortly 

Shaun 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Evening chaps. 

So unlike vettels and Ferraris championship effectively being over this build is far from it. 

The body is taking steady progress I just need to get the horns on and I can finally get some final primer on. 

20171008_140822

Most of the metal bits on the floor pan have been glued on minus the ones that will get in the way when it comes to carbon decals later on. Then like the body part above had some primer put on. 

20171008_140845

Again same sort of story with the gearbox part. Metal parts glued on and primer applied. 

20171008_140958

Then it was the same thing for the drive shaft shrouds but this was more for locating all the little pin holes in the metal that will have some filler put on before moving forward. 

20171008_140906

The wheels were painted but I think I may have gone a touch heavy with the paint so there's a possibility I may be striping and restating the wheels. 

20171008_140949

And finally the exhaust main tube has been painted with zero bike forks gold as in pretty much all of the reference I've seen it's a shiny gold colour, apart from the lovely clear pictures from the Malaysian gp of the car on the grid with the engine cover off. But this gold was the closest I colour get to the chrome gold on the real car so it stays. 

20171008_140933

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 3