Red Arrows Hawk - panel lining?

Dermo245

Hi all,

So I'm well into an RAF Red Arrows Hawk build and thinking about the final finish - I know they keep these super clean and glossy but would it have any kind of panel lining ?

Without, I think it might look a bit toy-like in 1/72...

Suggestions welcomed!

Cheers,

Dermot

21 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

have any kind of panel lining?

I did add a touch to mine. No streaks or weathering as such, just to give some definition. 

I used deep grey. Tried black but they stood out too much against the red. 

The grey is there in the lines but only if you look for it, nothing too 'in your face'

9 hours ago, LotusArenco said:

Not that clean.:blush::D

Have a look here at some wonderful closeups.

Mart

Great photos Mart, thanks for sharing ! :thumbsup2:

7 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

I did add a touch to mine. No streaks or weathering as such, just to give some definition. 

I used deep grey. Tried black but they stood out too much against the red. 

The grey is there in the lines but only if you look for it, nothing too 'in your face'

Tony - that is an unreal build and finish. I don't think mine will be anywhere near as good as that (probably because I'm using a hairy stick).

Great the tip on the deep grey and definitely needs it. And agree 100% with you on Revell Anthracite...a little gem in this scale.

Thanks again.

Dermot

• Thanks 1

I'd say that a lot depends on the kit you're using...

If the Airfix kit, the wide panel lines on this kit call for a very, very light wash at best. Tony's model is very good, with the panel lines barely visible. In my experience with this kit it's very easy to overdo, keep the wash thin and if needed add some more.

With the newer Revell kit the panel lines are much more restrained, a heavier wash would not look as bad as on the Airfix kit. Said that, the principle of only having a hint of panel lines definition is IMHO still correct.

I have experimented in some models with washes based on darkening the base colour, worked well with camouflage colours but I've yet to try with something like red. May be worth a try

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

I have experimented in some models with washes based on darkening the base colour, worked well with camouflage colours but I've yet to try with something like red. May be worth a try

You know what that rings a bell. 

I'm sure I made up a dark red wash as well to try out once I decided not to use the black. 

It looked too strange so thats when I resorted to using the deep grey.