Precise blues for Blue Steel??

Planefannz

Hi All,

I have searched the archives here and found a couple of discussions about the Blue Steel missile, but I wonder if anyone knows FOR SURE what colours the lighter and darker blue Blue Steels were.

There definitely were 2 different blues, but actual specifications for the colours must be known somewhere??  Someone said that one of the blues was PRU Blue but I just painted my Victor Blue Steel that colour and it doesn't  look right for either blue.

Any hard info appreciated.

Mark Robson

Auckland

NZ

5 hours ago, Planefannz said:

Hi All,

I have searched the archives here and found a couple of discussions about the Blue Steel missile, but I wonder if anyone knows FOR SURE what colours the lighter and darker blue Blue Steels were.

There definitely were 2 different blues, but actual specifications for the colours must be known somewhere??  Someone said that one of the blues was PRU Blue but I just painted my Victor Blue Steel that colour and it doesn't  look right for either blue.

Any hard info appreciated.

Mark Robson

Auckland

NZ

The introduction of Blue Steel missile into service coincided with the RAF adopting the NATO weapon colour marking system (1963/64).This system introduced a light blue identification colour for Practice ammunition. The NATO standard quoted  US FS paint system colours, but permitted the use of national standard equivalent colours, therefore the RAF selected "equivalent" colours from the British BS381c colour palette that it used for all British military equipment.

The equivalent colour selected for the blue practice marking was BS 381c 102 Turquoise blue, and the first Blue steel practice rounds were painted this colour. However this colour was soon deemed to be too light and not consistent with the NATO  FS blue colour, so  the standard practice blue colour was then changed to BS381c 113 Deep Saxe Blue. The Blue steel practice missiles were eventually repainted in this colour.

Deep Saxe Blue is the colour that is still currently used for British practice munitions.

Selwyn

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1