Whirlybird 1/72 Avro 707C

Hello folks.

Here is my latest work of art:rofl:from my very slow workstation, the Whirlybird 1/72 Avro 707C vacform kit. This is my second attempt at a vacform kit, the other is on the shelf of doom but I was determined this would not follow it. If I am honest vac form are not the easiest kits to build, much detail has to be added and you have to wing it( no pun intended) for most of the build.

After inspecting the various items within the box I decided to do a wheels up model, my first, as I felt the U/C detail and quality were poor but this meant I had to build a little display stand so keeping it simple was the order of the day.

You get a couple of resin engine intakes and these took some time to fettle into place but this was the norm for this build, returning several times to parts of the build to sand, refill and sand again.

Paints are Alclad II in various shades, overlaid with Alclad Gloss varnish. The decals are from the kit and again the first time I have used these decals and found them easy to use. Various aerials and pitot tubes are from Albion Alloys rod and other bits from scrap plastic.

All panel lines were scribed onto the kit but a bleamish did present itself on a wing and I forgot to paint the coaming in the cockpit, other than that it did not turn out too bad.

The stand simply has a photo of Farnborough laid onto a wood base which is where WZ744  served for many a year, having a long life as a research platform and is still alive and well at IWM Cosford.

Thanks for taking the time too look

Gary

DSC_0251

DSC_0259

DSC_0258

DSC_0255

DSC_0253

DSC_0254

• Like 22

Well done for bringing this (unknown to me) British jet to the forum. A most interesting read on Wiki. Early development of the Vulcan.

Btw. Why do you describe it as a 'whirly bird'? I couldn't see that reference in my quick reading up on the aircraft.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Well done for bringing this (unknown to me) British jet to the forum. A most interesting read on Wiki. Early development of the Vulcan.

Btw. Why do you describe it as a 'whirly bird'? I couldn't see that reference in my quick reading up on the aircraft.

Hi Vinnie, as Pete in Lincs said it is the name of a model company also sometimes labelled as ' Whirlykits' and I believe they took over the Project X label when that company ceased production, they have a website, www.whirlybirdmodels.com. One of their focus points are experimental and prototype in Vac form and resin.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, I would like to do all three versions in their full rainbow spectrum of colours, red, blue, orange and maybe the early 'pink with cheat line, if Father time is good to me.

Gary

24 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Hi Vinnie, as Pete in Lincs said it is the name of a model company also sometimes labelled as ' Whirlykits' and I believe they took over the Project X label when that company ceased production, they have a website, www.whirlybirdmodels.com. One of their focus points are experimental and prototype in Vac form and resin.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, I would like to do all three versions in their full rainbow spectrum of colours, red, blue, orange and maybe the early 'pink with cheat line, if Father time is good to me.

Gary

Ah, I see. Thanks, Pete and Gary.

Nice job. I like the neat way you managed to fit the canopy - not an easy task on a vacform. I suppose I really should have one of these in my collection but never liked the look of the two seater. Have you seen the real thing at Cosford? It is not as shiny as yours and I think that I read somewhere that it was actually painted silver. Does anyone know?

I think the moulds for the 707A (which I really want) have been lost and I now wondering if it would be possible to make one using this kit with a new canopy as the airframe, apart from the cockpit was apparently the same.

John

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John R said:

Have you seen the real thing at Cosford? It is not as shiny as yours

I do believe you are correct John, now that you mention it that info has come flooding back into my brain cell{singular}, luckily an easy fix with a dash of matt varnish which should tone it down a little.

I went to Cosford last year but it was not on display so a return visit is required.

Cheers

Gary

It's no longer on display at Cosford which is a shame. There's a Jet Provost in its place for the kids to climb in. It's a real shame as the Avro is unique and can't be seen anywhere else....unlike a jet provost. :wtf:

4 hours ago, John R said:

Don't be too quick.

Fair comment John, I shall leave it for now until I can dig up something more concrete. Thanks.

3 hours ago, HP42 said:

It's no longer on display at Cosford

I could not agree more, put the JP in the picnic area and let the Avro live in the hall....a strange decision indeed. Would you know where it now resides as my Wrecks and Relics library is a little outdated at the moment?

Thanks HP42.

2 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Fair comment John, I shall leave it for now until I can dig up something more concrete. Thanks.

I could not agree more, put the JP in the picnic area and let the Avro live in the hall....a strange decision indeed. Would you know where it now resides as my Wrecks and Relics library is a little outdated at the moment?

Thanks HP42.

I'm not sure but I guess it's still at Cosford in storage. Display space is at a premium there whilst the Hendon B of B hall is being refurbished, Cosford is playing host to the Defiant (partly dismantled and worth a look) as well as the Ju88, Me109, Spitfire and Hurricane. Not that this is the reason for the 707 not being on display as it was formerly in the prototypes hangar at the top of the site anyway. I hope they can have a shuffle round when Hendon is finished and find a way of bringing it back.

Just getting on my high horse for a moment, :hobbyhorse:I think Cosford is looking very unloved at the moment. I know it's all down to cash but the place is badly in need of a refresh. Models are falling off their strings in cabinets and many exhibits have precious little information on them. The V2 is stuck at the back of the bottom hangar and difficult to see. Imagine how well that thing could be brought to life visually (not physically!) and be made to tell an incredible story. Instead it's displayed in such a way that you'd think nobody wanted it to be seen. 

As we're a modelling fraternity here, I do wonder if we could help the place with a modelling refresh?  ...see, back on topic... :bangin:

...meanwhile, back at the RFI. Gary, that's a super model. I have the same kit in the stash and I look at it from time to time before thinking...nah, too hard, perhaps later.... You've done a fabulous job and I really like the display stand. :clap2:

10 hours ago, HP42 said:

As we're a modelling fraternity here, I do wonder if we could help the place with a modelling refresh?

Now that is a good idea, if I was thirty years younger and in a suit I would call it ' blue sky thinking'. There must be several modelling clubs all within striking distance of Cosford and it would certainly be a mojo restorer and a way of keeping displays current. I have been to so many museums and come across the same problem of dusty cabinets and models within that look like they have been in the middle of an airfield attack, broken U/C, weapons fallen off, covered in dust ,etc. Also, info of where the model fits in with the larger story would be nice for the general public.

Thanks for your kind words regarding the model, it is not perfect by any stretch and the stand is in the same vein as the kit; a prototype, while it works on screen I doubt I would come over the finish line in any competitions. It is a tricky little kit for someone like myself with little or no experience of vac form kits but it is the nature of the genre I model; short run, resin or vac form so it is really a case of 'crack on' or not build it. Period. Occasionally a mainstream kit comes along or one which can be modified but they are not the norm. 

Go on, give yours a go, it is why you purchased it.

Thanks

Gary