Supermarine's best? [Now with added Seafire 47... & Seafang!]

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Now that's looking very nice but those elevators in nose-up take some getting used to! More paint please. 

The elevators do look odd at present, because with no wheels and a level attitude the aircraft looks as though it’s flying.  Once safely perched on its legs they’ll look perfectly normal.

If you don’t mind, I might wait until the primer is dry before going any further.... [gimme a chance!]

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Even though this is a Mojo-build. I thought I'd at least try something other than my normal stuff - so I am trying out Vallejo Model Air's "Fleet Air Arm 1939-1945" set.  [Yes, I know the FR46 wasn't in service in 1945...]

This is their "Sky Type S", lightened quite considerably with white - about 60% Sky, 40% White.  I saw something on the inter webs that suggested that we add an agitator to each Vallejo bottle (AK produce a generous bottle full of stainless steel ball bearings, so I have used them), and then stir the paint in a circular motion, rather than shaking it u0p and down vigorously (and thereby adding air bubbles - the theory being that the bubbles are what starts the paint curing).  Anyway, whether that theory is a load of dingo's kidneys or not, the paint sprayed nicely, with no thinning at all, 15 psi, straight out.  In the picture it is still wet, but it has since dried to a rather pleasing sheen.

36688409513_1819cbbebb_c.jpg

There is an EDSG in the same set, of course - I think that too will need lightening, but so far this experiment seems to be working nicely...

Crisp

• Like 15

That's a very nice coat of Sky type S you have done with the Vallejo paints - interesting to read your comments about having to lighten the colours - amazing how the colour tones vary between various manufacturers for a particular colour(and even between paint batches from same manufacturer sometimes) - watching with interest

CJP

8 hours ago, giemme said:

Very smooth paint job! :clap::clap:

Likewise.

I'm always interested in other folks airbrushing techniques.  I'm a bit of a muppet at it myself.  I ought to practice on a paint mule - but somehow never get around to it.......  Any paint that sprays straight from the bottle is all right by me.  Wot nozzle size do you use Crisp?

I used a Thayer & Chandler Omni 4000 airbrush, which has a .5mm tip.  

The reason I went into such detail about agitators (and shaking in a circular motion rather than up & down) is because - like many, it seems - I have had lots of trouble with airbrushing Vallejo in the past; it tends to clog a lot (even Model Air, supposedly designed for airbrushing without thinning, retarder, flow improver etc.  If you prize the cap off you sometimes find a sort of thick, not-dried-out-but-not-liquid-either, layer the consistency of soft butter - and Vallejo's bottle design means you cannot get a paint stirrer into it.  The agitator might be the way ahead; I mixed the paint for ages, until the ball bearing could easily be heard bashing against the side of the bottle, and then just painted as advertised (15 psi).  Further trials required, but promising.

@CJP, I lightened the paint partly for "scale effect", but mostly because a test stripe suggested that it was a bit intense for post-War.  Also, keep in mind that this is just a base coat; it will get more paint varying the shade a bit.

• Like 3

It does look 'right' for the post-_war Sky type S colour Crisp

Note to idiot self "get small balls" for airbrush paints

Those Vallejo paints are one of my greatest sources of frustration lately

The matt colours come out mostly sheen-ey when you can tell by the drying action on the pallette that it could-a been a matt finish

Little balls in the dumb jars might just be the way forrards

I'm finding an interest in late model ( I used to think them irrelevant, sorry) Seafires, the subtle changes to the Mitchell wing and the mighty big power plants are stirring up a vague little itch

Mostly down to the work you're doing here Crisp

Carry on Number One!

On further viewing, that must be a small bottle of AK balls, top right of the above picture

I now know what to look for int'shop

😀

Edited by perdu

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I used a Thayer & Chandler Omni 4000 airbrush, which has a .5mm tip.  

The reason I went into such detail about agitators (and shaking in a circular motion rather than up & down) is because - like many, it seems - I have had lots of trouble with airbrushing Vallejo in the past; it tends to clog a lot (even Model Air, supposedly designed for airbrushing without thinning, retarder, flow improver etc.  If you prize the cap off you sometimes find a sort of thick, not-dried-out-but-not-liquid-either, layer the consistency of soft butter - and Vallejo's bottle design means you cannot get a paint stirrer into it.  The agitator might be the way ahead; I mixed the paint for ages, until the ball bearing could easily be heard bashing against the side of the bottle, and then just painted as advertised (15 psi).  Further trials required, but promising.

@CJP, I lightened the paint partly for "scale effect", but mostly because a test stripe suggested that it was a bit intense for post-War.  Also, keep in mind that this is just a base coat; it will get more paint varying the shade a bit.

Thanks Ex-FAAWAFU - interesting reading - I have never sprayed Vallejo paints so this technique will be filed away - I changed from enamels to acrylics because they seemed easier to use and to keep the wife happy after her dark looks and mutterings about the smell of enamels when spraying - I have had issues with acrylics peeling off with masking tape more than with enamels and that is after spraying with Tamiya undercoat first - I went back to enamels to paint my Wyvern but will persevere with acrylics.

CJP

@CJP, I am approaching masking for the EDSG with a certain amount of trepidation, it must be admitted.  The surface does look good - slight sheen now that it's dry, but lovely coverage:

23517878888_c9582b9189_b.jpg

The alert amongst you (so that's everyone, obviously…) will have noticed that we also now have radiators.  Here's a shot looking inside, before I stuff the aperture with more foam in order to keep the nice radiator face from getting all Sky-covered.

23517879098_90c65f4cf9_b.jpg

• Like 13

25 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The alert amongst you (so that's everyone, obviously…) will have noticed that we also now have radiators

:D Yes, nice radiators :clap:

I hate to say that, but I also noticed that there might be a seam between the cannon barrels on both wings, more noticeable in the above pic on starboard side ... :shrug:  unless I'm looking at it the wrong way, of course (might be very likely so, mind you :banghead: )

Ciao

Sky underside looks spot on to me!

I think the seam on the wing leading edge might be masking tape not stuck down as there appears to me to be a line running right up to the fuselage side

Roger 

Alas, Giemme is right; I thought I’d opened the holes up enough for the brass guns, but it appears not.  Easily fixed, though, at this stage - so thanks for pointing it out - I’d missed it

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, CJP said:

Vallejo's bottle design means you cannot get a paint stirrer into it.

You can actually Crisp. The small tip at the top of the bottle is easily removed - just push & pull against it & it'll come off (recommended to do this over a piece of kitchen roll!) and it's easy to get a wooden coffee stirrer in. I've also modified an Ikea battery coffee stirrer to fit through the neck by cutting off the 'twirly' bit ( technical term) at the bottom & leaving an L shaped shaft - this makes short work of mixing the paint. 

I've had to do this  for years as I haven't had the muscle strength since getting ill to shake the bottles enough to mix the paint , even with agitators in the bottle

Keith

• Like 4

On 9/28/2017 at 8:35 AM, perdu said:

On further viewing, that must be a small bottle of AK balls, top right of the above picture

I now know what to look for int'shop

Good spot, Bill; that is indeed the AK bottle o’ balls; "AK892 Stainless Steel Shakers", to be precise.  There are enough in a bottle to last for ages.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Thanks 1

Photo spotting time.  There aren't that many photos of Mk 46s around, because there weren't very many 46s and they weren't in service for long... so I have been hoarding any that I can find.

Including this one... which is actually of a Mk.47 (different nose, different windscreen).  [The provenance of the photo is pretty obvious from the URL written on it twice, but despite trawling through their site fairly extensively, I haven't been able to find the original (this came via Google search).  So I am more than happy to give them credit - if I am breaking any rules, then someone let me know and I will remove it].

Anyway... ain't she a beauty?  Actually, that wasn't why I put this up; it's the aircraft behind, which I have only just noticed.  Unless I am very much mistaken, it is that Hen's Tooth of a Naval rarity, the Blackburn Firecrest.  Blimey!

37364912732_2741b004ae_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Anyway... ain't she a beauty?  Actually, that wasn't why I put this up; it's the aircraft behind, which I have only just noticed.  Unless I am very much mistaken, it is that Hen's Tooth of a Naval rarity, the Blackburn Firecrest.  Blimey!

Swept back wings that look frankly - wrong?

Cockpit sat higher up the barrel than even the Saab Tunnan?

No mention of it on the mainstream aeroplane photo?

Yes it looks like it

good spot

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

There is a nagging doubt at the back of my mind that the yellow on the decal sheet may be a tad translucent. Something you may wish to plan ahead for.

Martian