Supermarine's best? [Now with added Seafire 47... & Seafang!]

Good to see you're almost ready to go :clap: The dark paint residuals on the top wing look like a sort pf pre-shading - despite of you not liking the method :whistle: 

Looking forward to the new primer/paint round :popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 1

You've really recovered very well,and You're right insisting and removing paint from all thin details, as what you want to avoid is for those residues to compromise the next paint job!!!

I'm not so brave, if I hae a good result with some colours, I prefer to stick to them as experimenting isn't for me! I admire the coolness and calm you kept and how you went through it for the audience!!!

Very "British"!!!B)

I would have reacted the italian way...:swear: :dalek1::rage:( not so British!!!)

Anyway, this paint brought to life the panels detail which is wonderful.Now I sit back and wait for your next update!

You're doing great!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You had your shot, Steve.  And you might have got away with it if it hadn’t been for those pesky Martin Baker blokes.

Well - we all had our 'there but by the grace of.......' moments back then did we not? Thankfully I at least wos rendered invulnerable by the short attention span, lack of imagination and all round resilience of yoof.....Whereas, you Crisp were a senior officer whilst still aviating and so had by then presumably matured somewhat(?) and developed a proper sensibility of the risks.........

These days it just takes a car to drive a tad too close to me when I’m cycling to set me off hyperventilating and imagining doom and disaster......:)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

...you were a senior officer whilst still aviating and so had by then presumably matured somewhat...

Matured?  I’m a WAFU!  (Though I suppose maturing like a fine wine...?)

I’m not sure any aviator really completely outgrows the Inner Hooligan.  They just learn the time & place, and have the experience not to get caught.

Mind you, the 25-year-old me would have split his sides laughing at what went through my head in that glider a few weeks ago as the ground came up to meet us...

• Haha 2

OK, here we go again:

37239985530_fb15b47fb0_c.jpg

37239985110_d9ebd88e00_c.jpg

Alclad Black Primer & Microfiller - I love this stuff!

The underside will receive a similar squirt of white tomorrow, then I can get back to painting yer actual colours.

Crisp

• Like 12

Very good save Mr Ex-FAAWAFU.

The question I'm going to ask is did you de-grease it properly in the first place?

I'm very,very,very new and watching how you guys do it in the airbrushing game(the Mrs bought me one for Christmas a few years ago)

but I've been a professional sprayer for 30+ years and have learnt a few things in the process,I'm thinking airbrushing uses the same

kind of preparation ground rules as does full size spraying.

Granted,on your model you can't use panel wipe or prep-clean(they're solvents,so your paint and then your model would probably dissapear),

but I'd be inclined to handle it wearing latex gloves(no skin oils get onto your primer)and give it a gentle wash in warm water/washing up liquid

then a final light wipe down with a tak-rag(to remove dust,hairs,loose particles,etc)before putting any colour onto it.

I'd have primed it with a neutral grey too(we use a RAL 7016 colour primer for all colours except white,red and yellow top coats,we use white for those).

You might find that your top coat dark grey comes out even darker with a black/dark primer.

Just my few thoughts.

BTW,the detail you guys put into these things is amazing.

Ken.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Kenny Stevens said:

I'm thinking airbrushing uses the same kind of preparation ground rules as does full size spraying.

In the ideal modelling world that would probably be best practice. For myself, if I can remember, I wipe the finished model down with IPA on some kitchen towel. But oftentimes I'm so impatient to get primer on it I don't bother - & the thing is I rarely find there's any difference in the end result. I'm sure it's more down to the properties of the paints used. If you search I'm sure you'll soon find plently of stories about the lack of adhesion of certain acrylic paints that come in small squeezy plastic bottles, whatever preparation has been done! And as an aside, a friend in my model club who exclusively uses Xtracolor enamels and produces absolutely superb paint finishes on his models doesn't even use a primer & says he's never washed a model in his life!

Keith

• Like 5

@Kenny Stevens, did I de-grease properly?  Depends on how you define "properly", I guess.  Put it this way: I prepared the surface for painting the way I always do - micromesh up to 8000 grit (sometimes further; depends on the surface finish I am trying to reproduce; the shinier the eventual finish I am aiming for, the more polishing work I put into the basic plastic), followed by wipe with IPA and then a tack cloth to pick up any remaining hairs, fluff etc.  Then primer.  Repeat micromesh and tack cloth on primer layer once fully cured, then paint.

That process has always worked very well in the past (and again with the Alclad primer coat re-applied post paint strip).  I am a firm believer that it is almost impossible to do too much work to prepare the model for paint once you have finished with shoving your greasy fingerprints all over it during the build.

You are of course right about the colour of the primer, but that was a deliberate choice; scale EDSG is a notoriously hard colour to get right (you only have to look at the variations on offer in the relatively few paint brands that offer a pre-mixed EDSG; they vary from a quite pale grey to almost black, with varying amounts of blue shade in between.  I therefore mix my own, and previous experiments have led me to a method which involves a coat of EDSG that is strictly too light, but painted over a dark (ideally black) primer; the combination seems to give a good EDSG look, at least to my eyes.  The pale Sky underside is different, which is why the underside of the wings, tail and fuselage will be primed in white (also Alclad Primer / Microfiller).

• Like 5

And that post perfectly illustrates the difference between a good model painter and Mr. Slapdashmodelpainter - i.e. the likes of me...!! 

But, and it may well just be luck, I still cannot recall a time when I've had any significant, or just any, tbh, paint lifting with the acrylic paints that I use - Gunze, Tamiya, Xtracrylix, Revell or my ever dwindling stocks of the late, lamented Aeromaster. Never had any with enamels...

I suppose the difference is definitely in the final result though, as your Seafire will soon ably demonstrate Crisp....!!

Keith

• Like 2

I do have white Alclad primer filler, I think it behooves me to prime the Bucc and the Gannet with it 'just to see' after the flogging you've just had with ValleyJoe's paint stuffs

Like you I've been hoping they'd be a worthwhile addition to the paint cupboard. 😠

• Like 2

Hi Crisp, just found your build thread. I was in the UK when you started and I'm still playing catch-up! Love the build, shame about the paint and having to strip it off, ouch! I have a kit in the stash but other thing have priority... like finishing two Merlins!!!

Colin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Crisp, just found your build thread. I was in the UK when you started and I'm still playing catch-up! Love the build, shame about the paint and having to strip it off, ouch! I have a kit in the stash but other thing have priority... like finishing two Merlins!!!

Colin

I have an Airfix 1/48 Merlin in the stash, with vague ideas of converting it to a Pinger cab.  More realistically it’ll end up as a Junglie - perhaps a Mk.4?  So in due course I might well be picking your brains re the differences.  Merlins were just coming in as I left the Mob - the closest I got to flying one was ritually crashing the sim,

• Haha 1

Hi Crisp, oh dear, crashing the sim, big no,no! One of my Merlins is a Pingers Mk2 jobby, lots to do there besides the interior the biggest job is the folded MRH!!! Otherwise, where do you put the thing? I got some seriously goood ref, via a freind on 814 or was it 5 at CulD, plus an explanation from the then assistant AEO as to it's workings. I'll gladly share what I have.

You can find my build thread soemwhere within the annuls of Britmodeller...

Colin

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

In the ideal modelling world that would probably be best practice. For myself, if I can remember, I wipe the finished model down with IPA on some kitchen towel. But oftentimes I'm so impatient to get primer on it I don't bother - & the thing is I rarely find there's any difference in the end result. I'm sure it's more down to the properties of the paints used. If you search I'm sure you'll soon find plently of stories about the lack of adhesion of certain acrylic paints that come in small squeezy plastic bottles, whatever preparation has been done! And as an aside, a friend in my model club who exclusively uses Xtracolor enamels and produces absolutely superb paint finishes on his models doesn't even use a primer & says he's never washed a model in his life!

Keith

A pretty sound practice there keefr22. We too in the big scale sometimes get a substrate that doesn't like the paints we use(all 2K stuff),

but that's usually something that the shotblaster or the de-greasing plant hasn't managed to remove(we got a lot of cast and steel product

from the far east)which kindly manifests itself once the primer goes on......

10 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

@Kenny Stevens, did I de-grease properly?  Depends on how you define "properly", I guess.  Put it this way: I prepared the surface for painting the way I always do - micromesh up to 8000 grit (sometimes further; depends on the surface finish I am trying to reproduce; the shinier the eventual finish I am aiming for, the more polishing work I put into the basic plastic), followed by wipe with IPA and then a tack cloth to pick up any remaining hairs, fluff etc.  Then primer.  Repeat micromesh and tack cloth on primer layer once fully cured, then paint.

That process has always worked very well in the past (and again with the Alclad primer coat re-applied post paint strip).  I am a firm believer that it is almost impossible to do too much work to prepare the model for paint once you have finished with shoving your greasy fingerprints all over it during the build.

You are of course right about the colour of the primer, but that was a deliberate choice; scale EDSG is a notoriously hard colour to get right (you only have to look at the variations on offer in the relatively few paint brands that offer a pre-mixed EDSG; they vary from a quite pale grey to almost black, with varying amounts of blue shade in between.  I therefore mix my own, and previous experiments have led me to a method which involves a coat of EDSG that is strictly too light, but painted over a dark (ideally black) primer; the combination seems to give a good EDSG look, at least to my eyes.  The pale Sky underside is different, which is why the underside of the wings, tail and fuselage will be primed in white (also Alclad Primer / Microfiller).

Again Ex-FAAWAFU,as with keefr22,very good prep practices.

I see now why you use a black primer and mix your own top coat.

We use paints from only two manufacturers(HMG and Sherwin-Williams),that way we get consistant primer and colour shade results.

Thanks for your time and explainations.

As I said,airbrushing is a new art to me,so I'm rather skating about looking,watching,listening and hopefully learning so that

when I do have a go with my own airbrush,I might just have some idea of what to do.

• Like 4

...and the underside now primed in white (Alclad again).

37469470186_8ded90bb9c_c.jpg

There will now be a pause for a few days, because we are going away.  I'll no doubt be posting, but there won't be any modelling!

Laters

Crisp

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'm sure with your experience you'll soon master the black art! :)

Keith

Thankyou keefr22.

As I said in my intro a while back,I'm not a modeller at all but I am good friends with one.

He's a professional painter too and an airbrusher(I used to work with him too a while ago).

He has some awsome model planes(mostly Royal Navy jobs)and he aimed me into this forum  to see what you guys can do with an airbrush,

I must say I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far.^_^.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

There will now be a pause for a few days, because we are going away.

You mean you'll leave us with our mouths watering? Model all primed and ready for paint and you go? 

I think that should be declared illegal - might ask Steve @Fritag an opinion about that... :D:D:D

Enjoy your time off :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I have an Airfix 1/48 Merlin in the stash, with vague ideas of converting it to a Pinger cab.  More realistically it’ll end up as a Junglie - perhaps a Mk.4?  So in due course I might well be picking your brains re the differences.  Merlins were just coming in as I left the Mob - the closest I got to flying one was ritually crashing the sim,

...funny old thing, just today

37487478302_27fbbc810b_c.jpgMerlin HC.3A ZJ994 AC by James Thomas, on Flickr

I worked on the Merlin sim building at Culdrose when it was being constructed, that was hard work!

Superb recovery work with the Seafire!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Excellent work and good save all round. I do like the Alclad primers. Recommend them. I find they give a nice smooth finish (providing hey are applied to a well prepped surface), and are quite resilient. The white is uber thin though so you have to build that up with lots of mistings.

• Like 1