Supermarine's best? [Now with added Seafire 47... & Seafang!]

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I am getting there, but some of the stuff I have seen is mind-blowing, so I know I have a way to go.

Oh I dunno... you seem to have mastered it from where I'm sitting.   Unlike some other builds I have seen, you manage to keep the weathering/chipping to a subtly refrained and convincing finish.

Will you be oil dotting on top?

• Like 1

Probably not oil dotting, I think; these aircraft weren't in service for long enough to get seriously faded (not least because they didn't go to sea).   I might do a little, but having seen @woody37's fabulous results with pastels on his Lincoln, I think I'm going to do any further weathering that way - after all, one of the points of this build was to try new techniques (actually I have used pastels a bit, so it wouldn't be completely new to me).

Thanks for the compliment; I try to build something that looks at least plausible - wartime aircraft certainly got into a right state at times, but this is 4 years later on an RNVR Squadron which only flew at weekends, so they FR46s weren't thrashed to death.  Less is more!

Anyway, the transfers / stickers / decals are all on:

37089257453_a4a5385073_c.jpg

37089257123_e2bcb4c5a1_c.jpg

37089256753_0060e66008_c.jpg

37089256453_6eaf211f2c_c.jpg

The only markings now missing are the yellow cut marks around the canopy (which will have to await unmasking, obviously), plus the side numbers (the yellow 104 marks).  The side numbers are going to be sprayed through Montex masks, just like the under wing serials - I have left them until now because I thought it was going to be tough to line them up with nothing else around.

The undercarriage also awaits - it's ready, but won't be going on until all painting & weathering is complete.

I am away all day tomorrow, but reckon we're pretty close to RFI now.

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 26

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:15 AM, Darby said:

By all accounts LA546 is under the ownership of a Mr PR Arnold. This I have been reliably informed of and have a very good contact regarding Seafire stuff 'behind the wire' so to speak. If you need a 'heads up' on owt give me a shout.

And that Mr PR Arnold is by all accounts THE man to talk to about Spitfires and Seafires. He's a walking, talking, photographing, internet-posting encyclopedia on the subject. I think he posts here from time to time, too, as Mark12 (he has one of those too ;-) ). If you've ever seen the photo/meme of a man with a Griffon Spit fuselage poking out of his single-car garage, that's Peter.

Apologies if I'm going over previously-covered ground but I've only read up to page four (beautiful build, Crisp!) and had to chime in.

• Like 4

Wow

I think I detect a change of scheme for my Sea Fury...

She looks kinda wonderful Crisp, just a bit tastyer than blarry marvellous

Can't wait to see her sat, just there

Waiting to fly

• Like 1

It looks great Crisp! As to weathering, these aircraft were kept in immaculate condition. A former ground crew member from Culham I once met recalls spending most of the week making sure they were spotless in readiness for the weekend aviators to arrive on a Friday afternoon and the son of a former Commander Air of the base confirms that there was all Hell to pay if his father encountered any dirt on any of the base's aircraft.

Martian

• Like 4

She is a gorgeous thing of delectable beauty Crisp....!!:heart:

One thing (probably obvious, but you never know) to mention to those thinking of trying the hairspray/chipping fluid weathering business, is that it only works with acrylic paints!

Keith

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

She is a gorgeous thing of delectable beauty Crisp....!!:heart:

One thing (probably obvious, but you never know) to mention to those thinking of trying the hairspray/chipping fluid weathering business, is that it only works with acrylic paints!

Keith

Interesting piece of information Keith - thanks for sharing

CJP

• Like 1

I just looked at those pics again, is there something wrong with the starboard wing roundel? I thought it was just reflection at first but the same lighter patch shows on both right and left views......

Ian

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I just looked at those pics again, is there something wrong with the starboard wing roundel? I thought it was just reflection at first but the same lighter patch shows on both right and left views......

Ian

That's a bit weird isn't it, hadn't noticed that! Nothing can be seen in the overhead shot though....

Keith

Just to reassure you that there is nothing sinister in the lack of progress on the Seafire; I have simply been away for a few days.  Back now, so hoping to get her over the line this week.

I have enjoyed this build so much that I have acquired a second kit (this time the more recent re-box; different markings, but same moulds), with a view to building a Mk47 (with folded wings, obviously).  Having also acquired the new Airfix Walrus at the same time, I am torn about which to do next; still not quite ready to go back to miniscule soldering tasks on the Sea King.

Only two things have happened since you last saw the 46; the side numbers are now painted, and for some strange reason [it’s never happened to me before, darling] the fuselage roundels peeled off.  No lifting paint or other damage of any kind; the transfers just parted company with the airframe.  I used a mixture of sources for the markings - some unused Eduard transfers, some generic Xtradecals, some Airfix - and to be honest I can’t remember which these were.  I’ll put up a picture later.  Anyway; no harm done.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5
  • Sad 4

In the beginning, I wasn't too enthousiastic about the camouflage you chose, but I was wrong!!!

It underlines perfectly the elegant shape of this aircraft!!!

As you mentioned you have to choose between the Walrus and the FR47, it reminded me I built the Grand Phoenix reboxing a few years ago and that was real fun!!! I love the detail of this model, so...it may be the best option as you're still hot!!!

9sxeuc.jpg

I'd go for this one!!!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 6

2 hours ago, massimo said:

9sxeuc.jpg

Massimo, you’re not the guy who built this one...http://www.drivefly.it/gallery/supermarine-seafire-fr-47.php ...are you?  Yours is lovely, anyway; early production 47, eh, with the wing support struts?  [You can tell I’ve been reading up on Seafire permutations!]

I have always preferred the immediate post-War low demarcation scheme to the later/Korea high demarcation one; when I get round to a Sea Fury (& it’s a complete cert that the new Airfix one will fly into my stash just as soon as it’s available), that too will have more EDSG than Sky.  I just love the way it looks.

The Grand Phoenix set is extremely hard to find nowadays, but you can get the engine, cockpit and airscrew separately.  Not that I’ve checked, obviously.

Incidentally, though I am undecided about which to do next, I have made a very exciting discovery while looking at options for the Walrus; W3040 / AA5R, the lower one in this Xtradecal set [https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48174], appears in my Dad’s logbook.  So guess which Shagbat’s going to be built?!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Incidentally, though I am undecided about which to do next, I have made a very exciting discovery while looking at options for the Walrus; W3040 / AA5R, the lower one in this Xtradecal set [https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48174], appears in my Dad’s logbook.  So guess which Shagbat’s going to be built?!

How wonderful.  Looking forward to that build :)

FWIW, my vote goes for the Mk47 as next build - I'm quite partial to fighters, you know, especially if good looking, and even more so if you spice them up with folded wings and so on :wink:

I hate to say that, but those roundels were really meant to be painted on ... :whistle:

:)

Ciao

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Massimo, you’re not the guy who built this one...http://www.drivefly.it/gallery/supermarine-seafire-fr-47.php ...are you?  Yours is lovely, anyway; early production 47, eh, with the wing support struts?  [You can tell I’ve been reading up on Seafire permutations!]

Hi Crisp,

no, I'm not. That's probably far better than mine,  but this model was a real joy to build and is still one of my favourite. I bought it in one of my visits to Oulton Broad's sanctuary and I have to say that griffon is amazing.At the time it was the only offer, as the separate one was avaliable just some time later. I don't know if the struts are accurate, as I copied those fitted to the Seafire 17 at Yeovilton and later I asked myself if they were fitted to the FR47....but I'm pretty sure to have seen at least a picture with them on...

The other addition were the side rockets used for takeoff.

vyw2o7.jpg

About the Walrus, it's good you've got a connection to that one on the Xtradecal sheet, so ....just go for it!!!

It'll probably be a more complex builld thaan the Seafire, but ...we've got time!!!:D

Ciao

Massimo

OK, just to prove that I haven't somehow melted it by mistake, or similar, here she is as of this evening:

37930362711_d81f34751b_c.jpg

37930362241_890397dcf4_c.jpg

As for the next build, I actually made my mind up some time ago - I have even made a small start, and here's a clue:

37930364061_a6deed5b73_c.jpg

In due course a separate build thread will be laid down - but not until I have finished off her older sister.

Fitting the Aires Griffon does require some pretty drastic kit-cutting:

37899545892_e7b1faffdb_c.jpg

But I think it will be worth it:

37877594056_458d875543_c.jpg

I am still waiting for a parcel to arrive from Lowestoft with a few Walrus goodies in it.  It is by no means impossible that I will work on both manifestations of R J Mitchell's genius at the same time!

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 16