Supermarine's best? [Now with added Seafire 47... & Seafang!]

Nice work on positioning the control surfaces Crisp. Looks much more lively and authentic based on your reference photos. The photo of flight crew is extremely interesting along with all the history that can be inferred from it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Probably heresy to many, but I have always thought the long nose of the Griffon Spit/Seafires made it look even nicer. 

Count me with the heretics then. :) Even more heretical, I can take or leave Spitfires. If I have to take them, make mine Griffon flavoured (no wafers), and preferably with contra-props.

• Like 3

I'm also a fan of dynamically posed control surfaces and if you are going to lock the elevators it makes sense having  then ' nose up ' to keep the tail on the ground. I discovered from reading a book about the re-build of the Bf 109G-4 by Russ Snaddon that there was a control lock designed to hold the stick back in 109Gs, consisting of a T-bar which pulled out from under the seat pan and  fitted into a slot in the control column.

I recently acquired an Airfix 1/48 Spitfire 22/24 and am itching to start it after seeing your Seafire but I promised myself ( again ) this year that I would finish some more from my shelf of doom before starting anything else. We'll see.

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 2

That looks blooming excellent Crisp, makes me want to go & grab my 1/72  Seafire 46 out of the stash, but being a modelling tart, I'll get over that when I see another great looking build. this one is working for me just now though. :D

Steve.

• Like 1

Still making progress, though less dramatic than the last update.  You really don't need to see a photo of a masked canopy!  But the canopy is now glued in place (shut).

Other than that I've been concentrating on the underside - specifically the fairing under the engine and the (Barracudacast again) resin chin intake, which once again fits superbly once cleaned up.

37263075252_2f8656c7ee_c.jpg

37263074072_abe2254c39_b.jpg

I have also been cleaning up the remaining parts - wheels, undercarriage legs, doors etc., as well as starting to clean the resin prop replacement blades (which are visibly different to Airfix's offerings, so well worth the effort).  The Airfix exhausts are pretty decent, actually, though they need to be drilled out.  [I have seen an after-market set of exhausts advertised as "for the Airfix FR46/47 kit", but if so they are wrong; this mark did not have fishtail exhausts].

Tomorrow I will be doing all those little tidy-up jobs on seams etc., plus prepping the surface for paint - yes, we are now getting pretty close to (at the very least) a coat of primer.

Pip pip 

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 12

Really good, quick progress Crisp! 

I've been toying with getting one of those Barracuda intakes, but keep balking at the price (yes, I know it's not that much, but still....And I have invested in the prop & cowling covers!) because I'm not sure how much benefit it brings - do you think the seam would actually show up that much if the Airfix part is used?

Looking forward to the paint going on!

Keith

• Like 1

I can certainly agree with the sentiment about griffon-nosed Spitfires! I my case I blame it on the Matchbox 1/32 Mk 24 which was the object of desire when I as a wee lad.

I saved my allowance for best part of a year (it felt like) to afford to buy it but in the end I got it...(off course it was never finished!)

Good decision about the control surfaces, it brings more life to it. I really like how this comes together too!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

I blame it on the Matchbox 1/32 Mk 24 which was the object of desire when I as a wee lad.

Ditto! Just about my favourite kit as a lad.  Along with the Matchbox 1/32 sea venom.

Cripes - nearly painting already Crisp.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Really good, quick progress Crisp! 

I've been toying with getting one of those Barracuda intakes, but keep balking at the price (yes, I know it's not that much, but still....And I have invested in the prop & cowling covers!) because I'm not sure how much benefit it brings - do you think the seam would actually show up that much if the Airfix part is used?

Looking forward to the paint going on!

Keith

I’d say the Barracuda intake is nice to have rather than vital; with care you could get rid of the seam, and assuming the fit of that part is as good as the rest of the kit, you’d be fine.  The resin version has a nice filter flap inside - which us just a flat wall on Airfix version - but frankly you’ll onoy see that if you peer very closely inside the intake, which is under the nose and tiny anyway.

Prop blades and cowling definitely, because they correct shapes; chin intake lovely but not essential.

• Thanks 1

OK, only primer… but PAINT!

37307070322_f35de940e9_c.jpg

37307069682_c3cc7982e6_c.jpg

37307068742_39dd640db7_c.jpg

37307068442_46415866ab_c.jpg

Your eyes do not decieve you; white underneath, grey on top (both Tamiya).

Oh, and we have guns, too.  Lovely delicate turned brass Master guns; yum.

I'll do a detailed check tomorrow once this is all dry, but my immediate impression is that there are no howlingly horrible seams what I have missed.

Happy!

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 17