Supermarine's best? [Now with added Seafire 47... & Seafang!]

Wow Crisp, she's looking rather splendid, i do like the shade of EDSG now you have the gloss coat on her. The prop and spinner are a treat, congrats. I do like the wong-over shots on your spray jig.

Colin

• Like 1

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. It almost, I say almost....(Bill cover your ears) makes me want to move up to 1/48 and get the kit... I think by now that we've established that "Crisp" is a suitable adjective. So I'd say it is looking very Ex-FAAWAFU!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Really the finest 1/48 Spit/Seafire I ever followed Crisp, really considering repainting my part-painted Sea Fury in the earlier scheme

Stripes are far too everyday on a Sea Fury, this year don't ya think?

A thought, whilst I'm in a pensive mood

1/48

Tomoshenko

The rest of us?

Just a think I've thunk...

😉

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

There's some good news and there's some bad news...

She's on her wheels!

37263155084_37d5bcb550_c.jpg

No undercarriage doors yet, and no pitot head, but now very little left to add to the structure.

However... it isn't terribly obvious in that picture, but when I unmasked the canopy I found this:

37263154764_774a9ac4ab_c.jpg

There are weird white marks on the INSIDE of the canopy.  I am rather baffled; I cleaned the canopy meticulously before glue and masking, for this very reason.  But it looks a right mess, so I suspect it's going to have to come off before we're through.

Bugger!

Crisp

• Like 3
  • Sad 8

That's a real shame, she was coming along nicely. I'm sure you'll put it right though Crisp. 

Al these late WW2 and ealy post-war FAA builds are giving me hankering to break out some of the stash and get the EDSG and Sky flowing.

I'm looking forward to seeing her finished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntPhillips said:

Al these late WW2 and ealy post-war FAA builds are giving me hankering to break out some of the stash and get the EDSG and Sky flowing.

I wonder whether EDSG over Sky would look good on an Austin-Healey 3000.

The Seafire's looking gorgeous. I'm sure the canopy can be sorted.

Justin

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

There are weird white marks on the INSIDE of the canopy.  I am rather baffled; I cleaned the canopy meticulously before glue and masking, for this very reason.  But it looks a right mess, so I suspect it's going to have to come off before we're through.

Bugger!

Crisp, do you dip your canopies in klear (or similar) at all? I don't recall seeing this in the thread so far.

I have a theory... (get those people with the white coat that buttons up at the back, out of here!). My suspicion is that the fumes from the adhesive solvent gather and attack the surface of clear plastic if it isn't dipped. I'm also fussy about applying the adhesive onto the edges/surfaces to be glued together then let them have a second to "disperse" a bit and then join the surfaces together. Then (on no, there's more!?) hold the thing upside down so that any fumes go upwards and away from the clear canopy while it sets properly.

I'm completely mad, possibly certifiable, but this process seems to work for me.

• Like 1

That's a beauty.

I can't really see the dust inside the canopy in the pic, but you'll have it taken care of in no time if it bothers you. I have the canopy pop off of 1/3rd of the time anyway when I'm de-masking,  so I can attest that re-attaching canopies isn't too much of a pain.

10 hours ago, hairystick said:

Crisp, do you dip your canopies in klear (or similar) at all? I don't recall seeing this in the thread so far.

I have a theory... (get those people with the white coat that buttons up at the back, out of here!). My suspicion is that the fumes from the adhesive solvent gather and attack the surface of clear plastic if it isn't dipped. I'm also fussy about applying the adhesive onto the edges/surfaces to be glued together then let them have a second to "disperse" a bit and then join the surfaces together. Then (on no, there's more!?) hold the thing upside down so that any fumes go upwards and away from the clear canopy while it sets properly.

I'm completely mad, possibly certifiable, but this process seems to work for me.

I agree a 100% with you.

I do the same.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Waaw Crisp,

That's a very nice Seafire, congratulations.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I have the canopy pop off of 1/3rd of the time anyway when I'm de-masking,  so I can attest that re-attaching canopies isn't too much of a pain.

And I’ve knocked the windscreen off (post-painting) on all of the builds I’ve posted WIPs on so far - through straightforward clumsiness.  So I’ll second Cookie’s attestation.  A minor irritant to a man of your calibre, Crisp.  

Thanks, all.  Yes, I do dip my canopies.  After thinking about the process I used, I may be a victim of my own fastidiousness - in an effort to avoid any marks inside the canopy (ha!) I polished the inside with Tamiya polishing compound.  I wonder whether I fiited it before the compound was completely dry, thus missing a bit I hadn’t polished properly?  Or possibly the polish has reacted with some subsequent process?  We’ll soon see; if it polishes off in about 10 seconds...

It’s no biggie; my only real disappointment is that the windscreen has faired in nicely, but I am about to undo all that!  Bill, Cookie, if it were just a bit of dust, I’d love with it - I’ll try to get a better photo, because it is actually several large pale grey smears...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Crisp,

Have been following your entertaining and amazing build as part of a remedial plan to get back on form, (whatever that is...). She looks sublime and is giving me the urge to pull out one of mine from the stash.

Sorry to hear about the last minute oopsy, but, as with the rest, I am sure that you will triumph!

Could the pale smears be left-over residue from the Tamiya compound?

On-On,

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

Sorted.  Prised the canopy off (thank goodness I only used canopy glue), re-polished it, refitted.

Before:

37305152664_fce30f844e_c.jpg

After:

37305151964_e57beea73a_c.jpg

I'll let that cure just to be sure, then fit the undercarriage doors and pitot head to finish the job.

More later

Crisp

• Like 16