Supermarine's best? [Now with added Seafire 47... & Seafang!]

13 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

37625468742_27cfe41ac3_c.jpg

Adds appropriate Griffon note "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" noise.

Excellent progress Crisp, hope you recover from your fall as quickly as you are restoring your mojo sir...

• Like 4

9 hours ago, perdu said:

I've driven junk to the dump before, Lara (the Midge) is well known there 

I have demonstrated on more than one occasion to our equivalent dump-Meisters that an Audi TT has far more room in the boot than you might think...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 2

Getting ready for EDSG.  I am not going to show you the endless series of teeny bits of masking tape which now adorn the Sky parts of my Seafire.  Suffice it to say she is ready for her next coat, and I am as confident as I ever am (i.e. not very) that we should avoid too many horrible grey intrusions into that pristine underside.  Only time will tell; the sections at the wing root, under the tail and around the cannons are especially dogs.

Anyway.  EDSG.  Lots and lots and lots off discussion about the "right" colour for this all over the interwebs.  After a lot of experimentation, and based on the colour of the RN Historic Flight Sea Fury (which ought to be authentic, and even if it isn't, looks bloody wonderful) I have decided that the Colourcoats enamel EDSG is as close to the original as we're going to get - especially keeping in mind that my usual technique is to spray a base coat which is pretty much full-on EDSG, unfaded, no scale effect... and then play with changing it, fading it, varying it etc from there.

I don't want to paint this in enamel, however, so I started doing some comparisons on my unused Mk.47 folding wing (one of which is primed in white and the other in black, so I try anything I want).  

37642678182_d6c0793c33_c.jpg

OK.  The aileron and flap area is the Colourcoats enamel (still drying in places).  Then left to right (all Tamiya) XF-22 RLM Grey (clearly wrong, but useful to rule it out!); then XF-24 Dark Grey; then XF-54 Dark Sea Grey.  The pure Dark Grey is actually very close to the naked eye, but i think I will add a few drops of XF-54 to lighten it just a tad.

It won't be sprayed today, because I have just done the areas of Duraluminium which will be the basis of weathering on the wing roots etc.  But it might happen tomorrow!

More soon

Crisp

• Like 7

Just caught up on this thread. Pity about the first attempt at the upper surfaces, hope the second attempt works out better.

As for crashing aircraft simulators, try flying a Link Trainer without visual aids, not easy. Apparently I managed to fly fairly smoothly at -2,000ft going by the external instrumentation :wall:

Gondor

• Like 1

Just because I can, and while I am waiting for things to dry fully on the main airframe, we have our first transfers (stickers / decals - they'll always be transfers to me!).

37627996936_9df09b03e8_c.jpg

12 LOCK / UNLOCK marks, plus 3 of the 6 blade marks - the other 3 blades have only just had their yellow tips painted, and anyway I thought it would probably be easier to position the LOCK / UNLOCK marks without the forward set of blades glued in place.

On, on

Crisp

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

I really admire your patience here, Crisp :worthy: It is true that I hate decals, but 18, even for a double propeller, seems a huge number to me :frantic:

Well worth it though, I must say :)

Ciao

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of the fall to earth Crisp but hope that it is responding to treatment OK. :thumbsup2:

The job applications as well attract my best wishes  - in actively considering a career change myself I'm becoming aware that gentlemen of a maturer temporal dimension are in a - shall we say - challenging operational environment. I hope something comes through for you soon.

Oh. I've just been quietly enjoying the Seafire coming to life as well, but then you could take that as read about all of your work as far as I'm concerned! :D

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Airscrew(s) done (apart from a little weathering on the blades, plus a matt coat):

I knew something was badly wrong!!!

As I saw it, I thought: "mmhhhh...no good, too glossy and no weathering!!!!

Very disappointing!!!:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Base coat of EDSG is on!  This is my home brew EDSG - 6 parts XF-24 Dark Grey, 2 parts XF-54 Dark Sea Grey, 1 part XF-50 Field Blue; subsequent coats will be that mix with varying degrees of lightening to break up the large expanses of the same colour.  However, it's a start and I am very pleased with it:

37660970882_0124c30810_c.jpg

37660970682_1448b62b45_c.jpg

P.S. a cheeky shot with the airscrews in place (not glued) - an impression of monstrous power!

37693443461_c55936df4b_c.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 17

16 hours ago, giemme said:

Crisp, I think you have a sense for aircraft poses :worthy: . That last shot is really evocative :clap:

I’m with Giorgio on this.  She’s going to be a beauty Crisp.  Of course we are all now expecting some stunning RFI poses :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bedders said:

Looking forward to seeing the Dark Slate Grey...

Baint gonna be none of that on this build; pure post-War EDSG over Sky, low demarkation (like the early Sea Furies, which were exact contemporaries)

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Paint gonna be none of that on this build; pure post-War EDSg over Sky, low demarkation (like the early Sea Furies, which were exact contemporaries)

Ah gotcha. Even nicer!

Justin

• Like 1