Supermarine's best? [Now with added Seafire 47... & Seafang!]

55 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

The white is uber thin though so you have to build that up with lots of mistings.

And then you think 'it just needs one more misting'.....and suddenly all your panel lines are gone! I'm still removing the paint from the panel lines on a Fujimi FG1 after that 'one more misting'- the microfiller bit worked well for me!

Keith

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I once crashed a Hunter simulator at Chivenor, but that's another story.

And I crashed a brand new BAC 1-11 one at Redifon when they were making them. Also another story....!!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That's what simulators are for!  

If I remember right, I crashed the Merlin on trying a deck landing on a (virtual) deck that was well out of limits. The combination of loads of movement and the fact that the visuals close in are pretty limited, so refs for things like DLs are dodgy, ended up with me in the sea.  Great fun; I was only in there because one of the Sim instructors was a mate of mine.  It was only a few weeks before I left the RN.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

I was just being silly - pretending the 1-11 was a Canberra on a low level stike mission...:whistle:   It lasted about 3 minutes....

It shows the development there's been in sims though, this one was a huge, beautifully modelled landscape of the area around (IIRC) Gatwick, which had a small TV camera mounted on a gantry over it that tracked over said landscape following your (limited) control inputs, projecting the image onto a small TV screen in front of the pilot! Great fun, but more limited than the simplest computer game today!

Keith

• Like 3

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

this one was a huge, beautifully modelled landscape of the area around (IIRC) Gatwick, which had a small TV camera mounted on a gantry over it that tracked over said landscape following your (limited) control inputs, projecting the image onto a small TV screen in front of the pilot!

sounds like the simulator at Kinloss wot I crashed one afternoon ('cept the landscape was a bit different, obviously).  Probably made the same noise though

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, hendie said:

sounds like the simulator at Kinloss wot I crashed one afternoon ('cept the landscape was a bit different, obviously).  Probably made the same noise though

Would the sim at Kinloss just have been miles and miles of Ogin and a beach and a runway?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 05/10/2017 at 22:01, perdu said:

I suppose because it's green it isn't a hinged tail one (yet?)

It looks like it has a hinged tail, there is a detent in the aerial running along the port side by a crease in the skin - humble apology for the thread hijack, Crisp.

Super work on the priming Crisp. I bought a tack cloth once but it was so rough and sticky that it proved useless.  Is there a particular type that suits scale modelling? I currently blow clean air from a spare airbrush over the model to dislodge dust. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hendie said:

sounds like the simulator at Kinloss wot I crashed one afternoon

Me to! Undershot and touched down on the Findhorn road. Possibly distracted by the spider walking across the model.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, abat said:

Super work on the priming Crisp. I bought a tack cloth once but it was so rough and sticky that it proved useless.  Is there a particular type that suits scale modelling? I currently blow clean air from a spare airbrush over the model to dislodge dust. 

Proper "Tak-Rag" are the best.

They come in a white packet with "Tak-Rag" printed on it in green,they're the ones we use at work.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, perdu said:

Don't get carried away and thus forget to tell us the recipe for EDSG in Tamiya will you Crisp

Whilst you're at it Crisp.  If you're in a paint mixing frame of mind; feel free to knock up some 1980's RAF Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey in Tamiya and publish the recipe :whistle:..........:)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Don't get carried away and thus forget to tell us the recipe for EDSG in Tamiya will you Crisp

The Sky looks excellent

Lovely recovery

I will try, certainly.  

The Sky is not terribly scientific; at a guess it is 7 parts XF-21 Sky, 2 parts X-2 White & 1 part XF-19 Sky Grey, but essentially I added grey and white to the Sky base until it felt about right... (bearing in mind that it is sprayed on top of white primer, which also makes a difference, of course).  The basic XF-21 Tamiya Sky is pretty good, but too intensely greenish for this period, to my eyes - especially in scale.  So much of this is a judgement about what looks good to you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

Whilst you're at it Crisp.  If you're in a paint mixing frame of mind; feel free to knock up some 1980's RAF Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey in Tamiya and publish the recipe :whistle:..........:)

You might like to mix up a little Tamiya dark green out of the recipe from my Jagwarr thread

XF-61 Dark Green.     five parts

XF-60 Dark Yellow.    two parts

XF-64 Red Brown.      one part

This was a very close match for your Avatar shot of that youngster in his superjet

I just trusted the Humbrol colour for the Dark Sea Grey,but a nice definitive Tamiya would be good

Walks away whistling quietly down the lane............😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sky variation coat now done (a few random squiggles with slightly darker and slightly lighter versions of the base coat); getting ready for the next stage:

36911662674_aff87725ea_c.jpg

More soon - busy with job applications at the moment, but trying to make a little progress each day.

Crisp

• Like 8