Damaged WNW kits on sale.

Bear Paw

Hello I am very curious about these and so wondered if any one had got one yet?

So what exactly is the damage to the kit? How much damage is there? I am expecting it will be more than a crushed box corner. 

Andrew. 

Check out 'Hyperscale' site on this same topic. The general consensus amongst those who have received their 'water damaged' kits is VERY positive Andrew with damage seemingly being limited to the box itself whilst the parts and contents are pretty much perfect.

I am waiting for my DH9a to arrive (about 48 quid inc. P&P) any time soon so I will post up and let you and the chaps know the condition when it arrives if anyone is still thinking of taking the plunge.

Gary

• Like 1

I got mine--a DFW C.V, an AMC DH.9, and an early Fee. 

The insides of the box were in perfect condition, including decals and instructions. 

The boxes were damaged. Some vandal wrote, in big black letters, WD on them. I am very happy. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, redcap said:

Check out 'Hyperscale' site on this same topic. The general consensus amongst those who have received their 'water damaged' kits is VERY positive Andrew with damage seemingly being limited to the box itself whilst the parts and contents are pretty much perfect.

I am waiting for my DH9a to arrive (about 48 quid inc. P&P) any time soon so I will post up and let you and the chaps know the condition when it arrives if anyone is still thinking of taking the plunge.

Gary

Thanks Gary, that is reassuring as coincidentally I too have ordered the 'damaged' DH9. Itcost me $89 including PP. So I will wait and see.  

Andrew. 

40 minutes ago, Jeff.K said:

The insides of the box were in perfect condition, including decals and instructions. 

The boxes were damaged. Some vandal wrote, in big black letters, WD on them. I am very happy. 

Good to hear Jeff! I am sure you can forgive that vandal for that price.  😏

Andrew.  

On 09/09/2017 at 11:56 AM, Jeff.K said:

That sounds like REALLY good news indeed as I still wait for mine to arrive. Thanks for letting us know Jeff!

Gary

i can resist anything. except temptation. 

i pounced on that Rumpler C.IV. it's shipped and on the way. it's a bit sentimental... my uncle built the Guillow's Rumpler C.V for me when i was a kid. 

briefly, the Albatros D.Va was listed in the damaged kits. i pounced on that too. it hasn't shipped yet. 

sale's apparently over, only things left are the pre-painted dioramas. they look good but what's left for me to do? 

On 9/9/2017 at 6:56 AM, Jeff.K said:

Reportedly the WD stands for Warehouse damage, and it's to keep them from being resold at full retail. But like you, the box on mine was the only thing marred.

yep it's Warehouse Damage, according to Dave at WNW (he should know). 

so far i've only heard of one kit going out with damaged plastic. quite a few are missing instruction booklets but those are easily downloaded. the highest percentage barely have any recognizable damage to the box. 

i'll check in when the Rumpler and Albatros land. 

17 minutes ago, redcap said:

All very encouraging news but STILL waiting for my WD kit (DH9) to arrive over 2 weeks after ordering it and WNW marking it as posted. I hope at this price this one doesn't go missing!

Gary

Wingnut Wings do say on their website that most orders arrive in 10 to 30 days, so I'm not too worried yet about my Ninak and FE2b.  Just waiting to see how much those cutpurses at Royal Mail will want to release them to me!

5 hours ago, 593jones said:

Wingnut Wings do say on their website that most orders arrive in 10 to 30 days, so I'm not too worried yet about my Ninak and FE2b.  Just waiting to see how much those cutpurses at Royal Mail will want to release them to me!

I thought now VAT / national taxes were included in their price - they certainly get added when you buy their kits now - the days of HMRC adding a charge and the weasel worded Parcel Force 'handling fee' to collect it 'on your behalf'  was now a thing of the past? Don't say we are now having TWO lots of VAT added to WNW kits?

Gary

56 minutes ago, redcap said:

I thought now VAT / national taxes were included in their price - they certainly get added when you buy their kits now - the days of HMRC adding a charge and the weasel worded Parcel Force 'handling fee' to collect it 'on your behalf'  was now a thing of the past? Don't say we are now having TWO lots of VAT added to WNW kits?

Gary

I wasn't aware that VAT was included in the price now, it's some years since I last bought a WNW kit so possibly things could have changed, however if you look at the Help/FAQ section on their website it does say this: 'Depending on what country you live in and the value of your order there may be additional customs tariffs and duties, value added tax (VAT/GST) and/or other fees imposed by your government and/or mail provider. We are not responsible for these fees and they are your responsibility.'   Just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Not going to labour the point as I will doubtless find out when it lands, but I am sure that when I last ordered direct (from Weta) it auto calculated the additional UK tax when I checked out and also added the shipping cost. It has always been an utter lottery buying these kits from abroad then running the gauntlet of HMRC and Parcel Force with their own charges added on. This was a one off purchae in the damaged sale and as I always do, I shall be sticking with Duncan (Black Mike) in the future for all subsequent purchases of this brand.

Gary

Having had a look at the HMRC website there is provision for reclaiming import charges on goods which are rejected as a result of being damaged; however this does not apply when the goods were known to be damaged when the sale was made.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/importing-goods-from-outside-the-eu

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/refunds-and-waivers-on-customs-debt

So that rules that out!

4 hours ago, redcap said:

I am sure that when I last ordered direct (from Weta)

ordering from Weta is different. shipping rates are even a bit different. 

most likely you'll be charged import duties and VAT; i was. yeah i'm in Thailand, but it does suggest they're not included in the price for anyone... 

To keep those updated in the UK who were expecting their damaged WNW kits, after Parcel Force (PF) have extracted their ransom the kits may not be quite the 'bargain' you were hoping for.

JUST received my PF ransom note today and they are charging me a modest £7.70 in VAT......PLUS £11.25 'clearance fee' to collect it. I was always under the impression VAT wasn't collected if under £8.00 but obviously that's now changed too. Oh....and looking on the PF website, the clearance fee is given as £8.00 but having just queried that with a member of their staff on the phone, I was told "Oh sorry about that luv'.... but it's just gone up and the website should be getting updated soon."  So that's a 40% increase in charging to process your tax too absent any explanation as to how this is justified! Amazing, I can do my own tax return each year and be entrusted to hand over thousands of quid to HMRC but can't pay £7.00 directly myself for a model kit. Madness!

That's me done now with importing anything from the hobby which attracts import tax and if I can't but it here or (for now) the EU, I will do without it. The tax bit I get and acknowledge, but I am not being ripped off by PF "fees" after this parcel has been paid for.

Gary

I had a similar demand from PF today, but at £11.25, its still a cheap clearance fee. Commercial importers charged £17.50 25 years ago. I paid online and have just collected my kit to save me sitting in all day tomorrow.

The kit box is just pulp, but the contents are all in plastic bags and are fine. The decal sheet has an airhole in the bag, and they have been slightly affected, but perfectly usable. Instructions like wise in a sealed bag.

At the end of the day I've paid £60 for a kit that Hannants knock out for twice that.

I call that a bargain.