Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

Me too please. I've got a SPAD S.VII that is aching to be built, greatest kit I ever did as a kid, plus a Mosquito I think.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maltadefender said:

Me too please. I've got a SPAD S.VII that is aching to be built, greatest kit I ever did as a kid, plus a Mosquito I think.

Welcome aboard!

it looks like with this gb we might actually almost do a complete build of the 1980 catalouge!! 😄

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 2

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Ventora3300 said:

Just as a reminder, this Group Build has been given the slot 2nd June 2018 to 22nd September 2018.

I should be able to find something around that time. What exactly will depend on other GBs on the ATF, but I have plenty to choose from

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I just went through the 1980 catalogue link and found I have 18 eligible kits. Possibly a few more kits that were in catalogues prior to that as well.

So what to build??

Them all! 😄

8 hours ago, Ratch said:

I should be able to find something around that time. What exactly will depend on other GBs on the ATF, but I have plenty to choose from

And the ranks keep on growing! 👍

• Like 2

Keep the kit suggestions coming in, everyone. Every time a kit is mentioned, I'm off to the archives to check if I can immerse myself in any original Roy Cross box art!

100_1612

June will be here before we know it!

• Like 3

On 1/11/2018 at 12:20 PM, Ventora3300 said:

For all the modellers who are interested in participating in this GB, perhaps this link I found to an on-line version of the Airfix 1980 Catalogue will help in checking the kits they wish to build are 'in scope'. Have fun!

http://www.vintage-airfix.com/1980_catalogue_list.php?page=1

Does anyone have a paper copy of the Airfix 1980 Catalogue?

Will double-check in the attic later but fairly sure I have a paper copy of that catalogue.

Dermot 

Edited by Dermo245
typos!
  • Like 2

Please count me in, I've got a few good candidates. The current shortlist is CA-13 Boomerang, Blenheim IV, SBD Dauntless or TBD Devastator.

EDIT: Might also consider the TBM-3 Avenger, I've been wanting to build a VC-97 aircraft with the fish hook emblem on the tail for ages but I only have two Hasegawa TBM-3 kits and my current plan is to build one as a TBM-3D nightfighter off of USS Enterprise for the Carriers Ahoy! GB and the other as a postwar RCN version (which I might try slipping into a 1950s edition of NATO vs. Warsaw Pact if that goes ahead for next year)...

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Sabre_days said:

Please count me in, I've got a few good candidates. The current shortlist is CA-13 Boomerang, Blenheim IV, SBD Dauntless or TBD Devastator.

EDIT: Might also consider the TBM-3 Avenger, I've been wanting to build a VC-97 aircraft with the fish hook emblem on the tail for ages but I only have two Hasegawa TBM-3 kits and my current plan is to build one as a TBM-3D nightfighter off of USS Enterprise for the Carriers Ahoy! GB and the other as a postwar RCN version (which I might try slipping into a 1950s edition of NATO vs. Warsaw Pact if that goes ahead for next year)...

welcome aboard!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:13, Sabre_days said:

Choices, choices. I never even knew there was such an aircraft as a Boomerang until I started this recent run of 'stashing up' of Airfix. I did a bit of research and the undercarriage certainly looks different. I've only ever build the good old Blenheim IV and Avenger kits before and enjoyed them both. Looking forward to seeing your choice(s) in the GB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 31/01/2018 at 23:40, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I just went through the 1980 catalogue link and found I have 18 eligible kits. Possibly a few more kits that were in catalogues prior to that as well.

So what to build??

Don't make me say it...   :wicked:  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Strangeways said:

I'd like to be in on this too, if possible. I have, er, a 'few' potential candidates in the stash.

Of course, welcome aboard! Sometime before June we can get our decisions made and choices posted up. Look forward to it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Strangeways said:

I'd like to be in on this too, if possible. I have, er, a 'few' potential candidates in the stash.

Well that settles that then.. I’m sure  I now know where my votes going to go!!  This build will be inspirational and no doubt unbelievable. Mike, it’ll be fantastic to have you along to motivate all of us. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm already in on this GB with the 1/48 Mosquito FB.VI, but I'm going to give two kits a go as I'm just waiting for the Panavia 200 MRCA to arrive after buying it on EBay, don't quite know why I've waited so long to acquire the kit again, I remember having enormous fun building it as a youngster.

Cheers, M.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkSH said:

I'm already in on this GB with the 1/48 Mosquito FB.VI, but I'm going to give two kits a go as I'm just waiting for the Panavia 200 MRCA to arrive after buying it on EBay, don't quite know why I've waited so long to acquire the kit again, I remember having enormous fun building it as a youngster.

Cheers, M.

Excellent!  Which markings you going for with the mosquito?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Excellent!  Which markings you going for with the mosquito?

I'm doing a post war Mossie of No.21 sqn at Gutersloh PZ471 YH.F 1947 the markings will be home printed....hopefully.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MarkSH said:

I'm doing a post war Mossie of No.21 sqn at Gutersloh PZ471 YH.F 1947 the markings will be home printed....hopefully.

Phew - i can still do black ruffe then!

• Like 2

Pretty please, can I play with the big boys?

This brought on a lot of nostalgia, I thought of an HMS Hotspur, because it was my first ship kit and a reward for swimming 25 metres (wot a swiz, eh? It had only been 25 yards the year before; I should've swam faster. But I kept missing out on it. Next up was a Herald of Free Enterprise as the ship I'd always wanted to build but never did. Sadly as rare now as they were then, but a lot more expensive.

Then I stumbled across this...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/182105-airfix-r204-b-r-lowmac-14-ton 

That was until I encountered it on a 2nd hand site. I had no idea it existed, though I've seen the lowmac without any load several times. Still a bit pricey, so I've brought the lowmac and the job as separate dipole repos and saved a slug of money.

Is that eliigible please?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Pretty please, can I play with the big boys?

This brought on a lot of nostalgia, I thought of an HMS Hotspur, because it was my first ship kit and a reward for swimming 25 metres (wot a swiz, eh? It had only been 25 yards the year before; I should've swam faster. But I kept missing out on it. Next up was a Herald of Free Enterprise as the ship I'd always wanted to build but never did. Sadly as rare now as they were then, but a lot more expensive.

Then I stumbled across this...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/182105-airfix-r204-b-r-lowmac-14-ton 

That was until I encountered it on a 2nd hand site. I had no idea it existed, though I've seen the lowmac without any load several times. Still a bit pricey, so I've brought the lowmac and the job as separate dipole repos and saved a slug of money.

Is that eliigible please?

The original idea for the gb was anything produced by airfix up to 1981 so I would say most certainly this fits the criteria!

welcome aboard!

• Like 2