Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

15 minutes ago, badger said:

Heres to dads! :drink:

Indeed. I still hear Dad telling an 8-year old me "Take your time, don't glue everything together at once or you'll make a mess."

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Ted said:

Indeed. I still hear Dad telling an 8-year old me "Take your time, don't glue everything together at once or you'll make a mess."

My best dad modelling memory is him helping me clean humbrol gloss red enamel paint out of the (newish) carpet after I rather too vigorously opened the tin with a screwdriver to paint a red arrows hawk.

He even helped defend me against my mums displeasure.

He then built me a desk in the utility room to paint at!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, shatters said:

Can I join too please with this 

resized_b0304fe9-fd69-490b-9fad-9eca706e

resized_41efdc6c-c694-47b2-b5f5-a42032d3

Can just make out 1968 on the inside wing, though the decals look shot.

Phil

Welcome aboard!

i think i said before i reckon after this gb the vast majority of the 1981 airfix catalouge will be built 👍

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 2

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 15:24, Ted said:

Can I join? It's a toss up between either of these two kits:

Welcome, Ted. I actually made the 1911 Rolls Royce Kit while I was working overseas in the 1980's - really enjoyed making it but ended up giving it away to a workmate's son - I think he was impressed...but I didn't enquire how long it lasted...

Please build both if you have time!

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Welcome, Ted. I actually made the 1911 Rolls Royce Kit while I was working overseas in the 1980's - really enjoyed making it but ended up giving it away to a workmate's son - I think he was impressed...but I didn't enquire how long it lasted...

Please build both if you have time!

Thanks! I'll start with one of the kits and see how it goes :)

• Like 3

@Lawzer @Ventora3300 Hi Guys - am I right in thinking it is OK to clear flash from kits before the GB actually starts...

I don't want to jump the gun - I just think I saw it on other GB threads in the past and this GB may need that more than most :lol:

Oh the excitement mounts - how many days to go???

We need an updated list of willing victims - sorry participants...

...and a countdown clock :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not sure that cleaning the flash off is such a good idea; anxious that there won't be a kit left if I do that! Seriously, because I'm using Dapol repops in the interests of economy I've been peering through the plastic bags and there isn't much to clean off. Indeed they look very good for their age and vintage, even if the instructions do warn that the moulds used are over 50 years old (no need to get personal I say).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

I'm not sure that cleaning the flash off is such a good idea; anxious that there won't be a kit left if I do that! Seriously, because I'm using Dapol repops in the interests of economy I've been peering through the plastic bags and there isn't much to clean off. Indeed they look very good for their age and vintage, even if the instructions do warn that the moulds used are over 50 years old (no need to get personal I say).

same here - more flash than kit on some things :lol:  but that's part of the charm of this GB - I read the Dapol info about 'please ignore the part numbers - as they bear no resemblance to the instructions' - but they are pretty simple kits - so let's just look at the pretty pictures and figure it our that way :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

@Lawzer @Ventora3300 Hi Guys - am I right in thinking it is OK to clear flash from kits before the GB actually starts...

I don't want to jump the gun - I just think I saw it on other GB threads in the past and this GB may need that more than most :lol:

Resist, resist! Now, you know that cleaning off flash is the first step in starting the kit! Far be it from us to spoil your fun but it is recognised that a bit of fiddling about / handling an old kit is essential to keep the 'nostalgic' modeller sane!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

Oh, and I forgot to say that Lawzer and I managed to persuade Rabbit Leader to run a modeller and kit listing with stats for this GB just as he did for the Matchbox one. I think he may be trying to get one going on the Hawker GB at the moment so we will need to be patient! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ventora3300 said:

Oh, and I forgot to say that Lawzer and I managed to persuade Rabbit Leader to run a modeller and kit listing with stats for this GB just as he did for the Matchbox one. I think he may be trying to get one going on the Hawker GB at the moment so we will need to be patient! 

...where is that emoticon with the twiddling thumbs impatiently :lol: only joking...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I've been looking through the stash I have finally decided on what to build. I found this

IMG_3790

Make a nice change from painting camouflage :winkgrin:

cheers Pat

Timely subject Pat, especially with the recent findings of USS Lexington of late.. should be a popular build and thread. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 4

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I've been looking through the stash I have finally decided on what to build. I found this

IMG_3790

Make a nice change from painting camouflage :winkgrin:

cheers Pat

Loving the memories flooding back as a kid in a model shop gawping at all the airfix box art.......

• Like 3

On 06/03/2018 at 16:30, BIG X said:

I'm pretty much thinking the same. Got the old spit out the other day for a quick look and the flash..... 🤧

Incidentally I'm undecided on whether I model a malta spit in grey and some form of blue or a Tunisian version in desert colours. 

Decisions decisions. 

Oh and it is June isn't it when we start? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Antb said:

I'm pretty much thinking the same. Got the old spit out the other day for a quick look and the flash..... 🤧

Incidentally I'm undecided on whether I model a malta spit in grey and some form of blue or a Tunisian version in desert colours. 

Decisions decisions. 

Oh and it is June isn't it when we start? 

I'm liking the sound of desert colours - does yours come with a trop filter...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I'm liking the sound of desert colours - does yours come with a trop filter...

It does mate but I'd need the aboukir filter, which it doesn't have. 

Its the choice of these two: 

IMG_0735.jpg

I bought the mask sets ages ago and was set on EP436 S V but now not so sure...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well I've got my entry down to one,the Short's Stirling,I got one as a Christmas present off my parent's just at the time I stopped building model's

in my late teen's It sat around in it's box for a few year's and must have gone in the bin when they moved into their last house after I'd flown the nest,

the folk's have gone now so it's great excuse for a trip down memory lane!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Antb said:

It does mate but I'd need the aboukir filter, which it doesn't have. 

Its the choice of these two: 

IMG_0735.jpg

I bought the mask sets ages ago and was set on EP436 S V but now not so sure...

...on reflection...  I would go with S V - why...

...I'm not keen on 'Clipped Spits' -  :worry: looks nervously around - :coat: hurriedly get's coat - :pilot: swiftly heads for the door...  :sorry: sorry folks :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

...on reflection...  I would go with S V - why...

...I'm not keen on 'Clipped Spits' -  :worry: looks nervously around - :coat: hurriedly get's coat - :pilot: swiftly heads for the door...  :sorry: sorry folks :winkgrin:

🤣

I do quite like the idea of the desert camouflage but I'm not sure. 

I've got time to keep thinking 

• Like 3

The stirling!

I only say that because when I was a kid I was never able to get hold of one of those kits......not selfish in the slightest ;)

• Like 5

The Stirling is always a fascinating build whatever the manufacturer or age of kit, but I would love to see the Bulldog built up in a nice bright colour scheme, never built one myself, must remedy that.

Cheers, M.

• Like 6