Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

Hi guys,

just found the GB calendar and this one sure does appeal.

I have a terrible past record with the couple of GBs I have entered, but if I keep persevering, one day maybe I will finish a kit in the allocated time!

If it is still OK to enter, I would like to do so with the Hawkers Sea Hawk (1962 issue), plastic bag and all, with a few aftermarket PE, white metal, resin and decals. Did I hear jam to a pig?

I have quite a few original Airfix kits pre-1980, but I have been looking at the Sea Hawk far too often to choose another one instead!

Hope it flies.

Cheers

JR

• Like 4

The other day I added a further 8 vintage Airfix kits to my stash:

Fairey Rotodyne

Fokker Friendship

Ford Trimotor

Mauretania

Bristol Superfreighter

Handley Page HP42

Hormone Helicopter

Vickers Vanguard

I have to admit I am thinking of doing one of those in a Raspberry Ripple scheme, so I hope there is a bit of leeway on authenticity (please!!).

Ray

PS - It will not be the ship I promise!

• Like 4

I found an MPC US Airfix boxing of the original Lancaster kit in the 'forgotten' box and an MPC issue of the B747.

So many classics, so little time. Still undecided on the first of my builds.

Edited by Romeo Alpha Yankee
It's a US Airfix Lanc, not MPC
  • Like 4

On 1/21/2018 at 09:32, Ray S said:

Fairey Rotodyne

Fokker Friendship

Ford Trimotor

Mauretania

Bristol Superfreighter

Handley Page HP42

Hormone Helicopter

Vickers Vanguard

I have to admit I am thinking of doing one of those in a Raspberry Ripple scheme, so I hope there is a bit of leeway on authenticity (please!!).

Ray

Yes any scheme you want to do is fine.  Lets face it - a LOT of decals of this age will be shot so no other option ;)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I just checked from Scalemates database that my Bilek- bagging contains an Airfix FW 189 kit that dates from 1967. Happy that this should be eligible. V-P

Yes it's eligible :)

That's quite amazing that a kit from 1967 is still on the go today with no (as far as I can tell) changes other than decals (and plastic I'd guess)!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I found an MPC boxing of the original Lancaster kit in the 'forgotten' box and an MPC issue of the B747.

SoO many classics, so little time. Still undecided on the first of my builds.

I've never seen the MPC boxing of the lancaster....

Interesting schemes :yes:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I've never seen the MPC boxing of the lancaster....

Interesting schemes :yes:

My mistake, it is actually a US Airfix boxing (with boxing copyright of 1979). Got confused after seeing the MPC instructions for the B747

28055585339_ca6fbd359c_o.jpg

With the old mustard colours plastic. takes me back to when I built the C-130 with the Bloodhound missile back it the 70s, which reminds me I have an old Airfix C-130 that would also fit this GB.

38935237145_54851e34a2_o.jpg

The kit decals (from Scalemaster) are shot though

28055585139_7bfd926043_o.jpg

• Like 5

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 09:32, Ray S said:

Fairey Rotodyne

Fokker Friendship

Ford Trimotor

Mauretania

Bristol Superfreighter

Handley Page HP42

Hormone Helicopter

Vickers Vanguard

Ray

Sounds intriguing! No specific rules on paint schemes, authentic or not. I think 'fun' starting with the early kits is the intended name of the game!

Regards, Mike

• Like 4

5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I just checked from Scalemates database that my Bilek- bagging contains an Airfix FW 189 kit that dates from 1967. Happy that this should be eligible. V-P

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Yes it's eligible :)

That's quite amazing that a kit from 1967 is still on the go today with no (as far as I can tell) changes other than decals (and plastic I'd guess)!

Mmmmm... a very interesting re-boxing by Bilek in 199X since Scalemates also shows Airfix doing a further re-boxing thereafter. Seems to indicate that it is the original mold being employed here but I wonder if a copy mold was made or it got passed between companies? Is there any reference to Airfix on the molded sprues, I wonder? 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

My mistake, it is actually a US Airfix boxing (with boxing copyright of 1979). Got confused after seeing the MPC instructions for the B747

With the old mustard colours plastic. takes me back to when I built the C-130 with the Bloodhound missile back it the 70s, which reminds me I have an old Airfix C-130 that would also fit this GB.

The kit decals (from Scalemaster) are shot though

Yes, very interesting how Scalemates shows the re-boxing of the Lancaster by first MPC then back to Airfix then finally by US Airfix. It seems to show then that Airfix moved on to a 'new tool'.

I'm going to see if it says anything about Airfix passing molds around or licensing in here!

100_1609

• Like 2

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:08, Grandboof said:

Roll on June Aer Lingus F-27 Beagle Basset (original box) BA 707 etc 

Martin H

That covers the entire range of seating capacity! As a kid, I did the Boeing 707 as a transition from props to jets - models had to have four of them though.

• Like 2

I have a couple of kits winging their way for this GB, a Firefly Mk.5, kit no 298 which according to Scalemates was released in 1966, and a 1978 boxing of an AVRO 504K (61048), both in 1/72 scale. I have wanted to build a 504 for a while but have never got around to it, this GB seems to be the ideal time to put that right.

• Like 5

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 00:26, nimrod54 said:

I have a couple of kits winging their way for this GB, a Firefly Mk.5, kit no 298 which according to Scalemates was released in 1966, and a 1978 boxing of an AVRO 504K (61048), both in 1/72 scale. I have wanted to build a 504 for a while but have never got around to it, this GB seems to be the ideal time to put that right.

John, I couldn't see you on the thread previously so welcome aboard! Hope you get time to do both.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

John, I couldn't see you on the thread previously so welcome aboard! Hope you get time to do both.

Sorry Ventora, I thought that I had signed up for this one. It was one of my voting choices and I had intended jumping on board then, chalk it up to a senior moment. :winkgrin:

Cheers

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Sorry Ventora, I thought that I had signed up for this one. It was one of my voting choices and I had intended jumping on board then, chalk it up to a senior moment. :winkgrin:

Cheers

Welcome aboard!

• Like 2

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 00:26, nimrod54 said:

My kits arrived this afternoon. I have had a quick inspection of both boxes and the Firefly looks to be a nice kit, the fuselage and wing parts are off the sprue in a separate zip-lock bag but I think that all the parts are there. The Avro 504 will need some work to sort out a few prominent ejector pin marks some of which run through the wing ribs, and in both kits the decals may need replacing.

26035916428_bb0327153e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 16:15, JOCKNEY said:

Is there a easy way to find a list of kits that qualify for this GB ?

cheers Pat

Pat, yes there is, http://www.vintage-airfix.com/1980_catalogue_list.php?page=1

I posted this up earlier in the thread....

• Like 3

On 1/27/2018 at 16:15, JOCKNEY said:

Is there a easy way to find a list of kits that qualify for this GB ?

cheers Pat

Or if you have a specific kit in mind and can't confirm if it qualifies let us know....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Pat, yes there is, http://www.vintage-airfix.com/1980_catalogue_list.php?page=1

I posted this up earlier in the thread....

On 27/01/2018 at 4:17 PM, MarkSH said:

I checked on Vintage-Airfix.com they have the contents of most if not all of the catalogues.

7 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Or if you have a specific kit in mind and can't confirm if it qualifies let us know....

Apologies to one and all, a display of muppetry on my part by not reading the thread more carefully :doh:

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1