Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

I am proposing (if not to late) a group build covering the kits first produced in the years in which Airfix was still an independent company. Airfix ceased being an independent company in 1981.  

The rules would be simple, any item that was included in Airfix catalogues up to and including 1980. This would include kits first released by other companies, such as some of the larger cars and military vehicles. I would be largely depending on peoples honesty as to what was included in these catalogues, a makers mark inside the kit such as Airfix 1962 would be ideal.

It doesn't matter if the kit you would like to build is a 2017 reboxing, the only thing that matters is that it was first boxed no later than 1980. Pre 1981 kits still available from Airfix include the 1/72 scale Mosquito, Halifax, Sherman and Tiger tanks.

The use of after market parts and decals is permitted. Later releases of old kits with added sprues for different variants also welcome. 

If anyone would care to lend a hand with this I would grateful.

CLARIFICATION OF RULES

What's allowed?

1) Any kit included in any Airfix catalogue up to and including the 1980 catalogue. 

2) For aircraft, All after market parts and decals with the exception of wings and fuselages.

3) Airfix kits first released no later than 1980 but in modern day boxings.

4) Updated versions of pre-1981 kits. Airfix occasionally added extra sprues of parts to update it's pre 1981 kits. All such parts with the exception of wings and fuselages are permitted.

5) For builds other than aircraft please use discretion and common sense when considering the use of aftermarket parts. For example aftermarket tracks, wheels or decking would be acceptable for a vehicle or ship while a aftermarket turret, hull or car body would not. The rule of thumb is that the bare bones or carcass of the model needs to be pre-1981 Airfix, whatever flesh is added to the bones is the choice of the builder.

Notes.

I believe or suspect that Airfix adopted a number of larger armour and other vehicle kits  from extinct manufacturers. If these kits were present in the pre-1981 Airfix range then they are considered acceptable. This is largely to avoid any arguments over pedigree or dna.

If interested names below please. 32445505384_cfdda4c613_k.jpg

• Like 4

On 08/09/2017 at 12:48 PM, old thumper said:

I am proposing (if not to late) a group build covering the years that Airfix was an independent company.

The rules would be simple, any item that was included in Airfix catalogues up to and including 1980. This would include kits first released by other companies, such as some of the larger cars and military vehicles. I would be largely depending on peoples honesty as to what was included in these catalogues, a makers mark inside the kit such as Airfix 1962 would be ideal.

The eligibility of upto and including 1980 would be fairly easy to check, by reference to Scalemates or Airfix Tribute Forum websites.

You could create a list of eligible kits. 

Just to clarify though,  are you proposing pre-1981 boxes?  - for which I've not got any,

or more recent boxings of the kits?  - for which I've got several. 

Edited 06 Dec 2017:

Airfix_Avenger.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

The eligibility of upto and including 1980 would be fairly easy to check, by reference to Scalemates or Airfix Tribute Forum websites.

You could create a list of eligible kits. 

Just to clarify though,  are you proposing pre-1981 boxes?  - for which I've not got any,

or more recent boxings of the kits?  - for which I've got several. 

Just kits that were available up to and including 1980,  it doesn't matter what year the boxing is.

There are a number of kits still in production that would be eligible, plus a lot of others that were recently deleted.

Good question though, I shall amend the original post.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Thinking about this, I may go for my 'oldest' Airfix kit - the DH Comet 4B.

Airfix Comet 4B

Also, what sort of a hand is required with the GB? I'll help all I can.

Regards,

Mike

I am not entirely sure as I have never hosted a group build before, group builds mostly seem to have two hosts though.

Nice choice of kit, it must be worth quite a bit of money.

• Like 2

Hmm - bought a vintage Airfix B-24 in a lot. I had planned to pass this on to a collector but maybe I should play kid and build it OOB as I did ages ago - without bothering with paint. This would be a real "vintage build" :-D

Sign me up please - lets see what happens.

René

• Like 3

5 hours ago, old thumper said:

I am not entirely sure as I have never hosted a group build before, group builds mostly seem to have two hosts though.

Nice choice of kit, it must be worth quite a bit of money.

As usual, there is a source of info...reading what's involved, I can help with that.

It did occur to me that this might be a 'collector's piece' but I have decided I'm a 'builder', although I will keep the box with the finished model. Maybe the thing to do is to really put in a big effort by including after-market add-ons and really try for a pristine finish. It could represent the journey that some kits have been on...

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

As usual, there is a source of info...reading what's involved, I can help with that.

It did occur to me that this might be a 'collector's piece' but I have decided I'm a 'builder', although I will keep the box with the finished model. Maybe the thing to do is to really put in a big effort by including after-market add-ons and really try for a pristine finish. It could represent the journey that some kits have been on...

Regards,

Mike

OK thanks. I also read the guidelines, it is just that sometimes things can turn out to be more complicated when put into action. Having never hosted a group build before I'm a bit worried that I might run into one or two problems and finish up letting people down which would leave me with guilty conscience.

• Like 2

I think that the help available from the Britmodeller community means that no problems are insurmountable. Looks like we are at 10 Early Airfix Enthusiasts so far (counting you and me) - I saw the figure of 25-30 quoted as being required to qualify as a group build so maybe we need to wait and see if the enthusiasm for the Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build is out there.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

I think that the help available from the Britmodeller community means that no problems are insurmountable. Looks like we are at 10 Early Airfix Enthusiasts so far (counting you and me) - I saw the figure of 25-30 quoted as being required to qualify as a group build so maybe we need to wait and see if the enthusiasm for the Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build is out there.

Regards,

Mike

Yes you are right on all counts.

I am quite happy with 10 recruits in the space of a week though, if not then there is always next year. 

I shall start making a list soon.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 2

In the spirit of being an interfering nuisance can I nominate @Lawzer as he is out buying vintage kits as we speak...

...c'mon Ian you know you should... :wicked:;)  If you do I will.

I have that vintage pontoon bridge to build.  The bridge comes from 1970 and my first encounter with it was 1971 when it came as a full assault set - with troops and tanks and stuff...

...but I digress - I recently acquired the 2004 re-box and I think this would spur me on to do it.  @Lawzer - you could maybe bomb it with a Stuka :lol:

• Like 3

Count me in!!!!!!

So what's the story with a group build?

We take a picture of the kit along with something showing date and time and we get a set amount of time to complete it?

I think at the moment the only thing I have that would fit the bill is a 1/48 mosquito (according to scalemates first released in 1977 - in fact the last one of these I built I'm sure had that stamped on the inside of the fuselage...).....hhmmm......

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Count me in!!!!!!

So what's the story with a group build?

We take a picture of the kit along with something showing date and time and we get a set amount of time to complete it?

I think at the moment the only thing I have that would fit the bill is a 1/48 mosquito (according to scalemates first released in 1977 - in fact the last one of these I built I'm sure had that stamped on the inside of the fuselage...).....hhmmm......

If that furry German Shepherd is in - SO AM I!!!!!!

Ditto with Lawzers comments - I've not done a group build before - so I've no clue what I'm letting myself in for...

• Like 1

I believe a minimum of 30 have to express an interest.  There is then a vote later in 2017 as to which Group Builds will be for 2018.  There is then a vote on all the GBs proposed (I think any BMer can vote).  The most popular GBs get adopted, not sure how the calendar is scheduled.  If adopted the GB usually gets a couple of months, in that time you are supposed to build a kit with an illustrated WIP.

I've voted before but not done a GB.  I think my votes didn't win, but I think anyone can join an adopted GB even if it wasn't theirs.

Cheers

Will

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Prospective "Airfix The Golden Years" group builders so far. 

1) Old Thumper

2) Ventora3300  

3) Rob G

4) Arniec

5) Theplasicsurgeon

6) Malpaso

7) Stevehnz

8) Caerbannog

9) CliffB

10) Zebra

11) Big X

12) Lawzer

13) Greg Destec 

After only one week we are already close to being half way there.

• Like 3

Just had a look at the mossie. Date on fuselage is 1980.  Must have been a new tooling 😂

along with a resin gun bay / canon bay from 1994!

so @BIG X looks like i'll be defending the pontoon bridge ;)

so, i guess this will be a group build (all being well) for next year?

• Like 3