Pocher Aventador Build (Blue Roadster)

Dr. Fiat

1 hour ago, shood23 said:

Great start to the build darin the tyres do look so much better and it's an ingenious way to install them. 

Shaun 

Thank you Shaun!!!  I especially like that 30 years from now, they will still be the same.  Silicone is SO much more stable over time vs. rubber.

I started working on the front and rear shocks.  The plastic units in the kit and the cheap metal pistons are not particularly realistic, and the turned aluminum pieces from the transkit are much better.  I decided to replace the stock pot metal pistons with actual stainless steel pistons from my old 1/8 scale R/C trucks.  I also made bump stops for the shocks using a silicone septum and a boring tool.  It adds quite a bit or realism- and I will complete these by applying the Ohlins decals from Paul Koo and attaching air hoses to the shock body.

Suspension frontSuspension frontSuspension frontSuspension front

• Like 2

Continued working on the rear shocks.  The rear shocks from the actual car are shown below on the left:

Aventador Stock Shocks

There are two pressure adjustment valves on the lower cap- these are not present in the Pocher kit.  But there are photoetched pieces in Tommaso's transkit that I used to make my own.  I first cut out, sanded, and glued the PE flange to the cap, then drilled a 0.8mm hole in the center.  Into this hole I CA glued a M0.8 hex bolt from Autograph, and it fits nicely.  Note also the nice PE adjustment ring that is on the shock body- this is also from the transkit.  Still to come is the Ohlins decal, and perhaps I will try to make the rubber bushings for the pivot points as are shown in the real units.

Rear shocksRear shocks 2Rear shocks 2Rear shocks

• Like 1

Really wonderful!

Nice add-on kit parts!

I have the same Pocher-car in my kit-queue. There will be some time before I start building mine, but it will be very interesting to follow your progress!

I will buy some add-on kit parts for mine, but I have not made up my mind yet.

Keep on the good work!

8-D

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2017 at 5:12 PM, Mark Bradshaw said:

Tip I found out tonight 

The manual says put the back and side inside panels in first then dash but I couldn't get the dash in until I took out the side panels then the dash went in(just) then the side panels.

How do you post a picture?

Hi Mark- posting pictures is quite easy.  I use Flickr, and have had no issues with this for the last 4 years.  I use my Iphone to take these pictures, and use the Flickr app to upload those pictures to my Flickr photostream.  Every picture in your photostream has it's own URL, or webpage.  All you do is open Flickr, click on the picture you want to include in your Britmodeller post, and go up to the address bar and copy the link.  Simply paste the link in your post and the picture will show up beautifully.  You don't have to use Flickr, but it has been a reliable photo sharing app for me :)

Good luck!

Darin

Working on the brake rotors, compliments of Tommaso Iuele's transkit.  The hub is black, with silver screws.  I had to do a bit of creative masking with some fake eyeballs that my wife had in her stash.  There is nothing like a steel rotor for realism..... Enjoy!

Darin

Brake rotorsBrake rotorsBrake rotorsBrake rotorsBrake rotorsBrake rotors

• Like 1

I decided that since the part count for this Pocher kit + transkit is over 2000 pcs., I had better create an organizing box for all these tiny nuts and bolts and fittings.  Tidiness will be a must on this project!!

Screw BoxScrew BoxScrew Box

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rjfk2002 said:

For organizing the PE sheets I like using Manila folders for each sheet and then tucking the folders into a plastic pocket file. It is really easy to get to each sheet and keeps them flat

Great suggestion!!!!  I'm actually enjoying NOT following the manual, and skipping around to different sections and applying the transkit details as I go.  I hope I don't regret this soon....!!

Rear shock absorbers finished.  In my view, next to the intake manifold and the carbon fiber rocker cover, these rear shocks are the most visible and distinct functional parts of this model when the rear hatch is opened.   The number of coils on these springs is inaccurate, and I could have cut, stretched, and heat treated these to be more true to scale- but the model is quite heavy, and the lessened spring constant k would perhaps result in significant sag.  I did search online for custom springs, but I couldn't find a match.

I used MicroSet for the first time here, lightly brushing the aluminum surface.  The decals (from Paul Koo) were easy to move around and manage.

Finished rear shocksFinished rear shocks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Codger said:

Tip: to eliminate frayed cut edges on your carpets, go to fabric or craft store and get 'FrayCheck' liquid.

Thank you for the suggestion Codger!

It is fitting that the showpiece of the Aventador engine is the intake and rocker cover- and even better when prepared by the hands of a master:).  Thank you Ron (Silver911) for adding your magic to this very important piece, and making it true to scale!  The texture and color is a perfect match to the actual engine.  For the bolts/washers, I used one washer and rivet from the transkit, and the other three were kindly provided by Ron (Hiroboy socket-head rivets).  I am certain that I will use these bolts/washers for all of the cylinder head work, as they are one piece!  The transkit washers have to be removed and prepared individually, and then the rivets added.

I have really been impressed with the teamwork shown on this site, and a genuine willingness to help.  This greatly enhances the building experience!

Thank you again Ron!!

Darin

IntakeIntakeIntakeIntake

• Like 1