fewr9fkr9595

That looks promising... water based, eh?  Wonder how they stand up to tape?  I'm still looking for my holy grail, which is an alternative to Alclad, as I don't like the way they "go off" after a couple of year, going gritty and making spraying a total faff as you have to strain the paint first.  Seems more prevalent in the darker colours, and the darker they are, the worse the effect is.  I'd like to try these, and also the non-Alclad AMMO paints too, but you can imagine how much money's worth of Alclad I've got going off on my metallics shelves :crying:

Hi Mike, I can confirm they take tape fine, as not long after the wheels wells were masked off with tamiya tape (detacked on the back of the hand to be safe) and sprayed in a mixed light grey (from mission black and white) 

The regular mission paints take tape perfectly too, see this here that I did earlier in the year that required loads and lots and then some more masking. Used their primary colours with my own mixed greys as this was when the paint first came out with an armour only range. 

As to your curiosity over mig ammo metal acrylics, I dabbled with them 

over Christmas... 

Lastly, in your quest for an alclad replacement, another decent waterbased metal paint I would reccomend is Vallejo metal color. Not to be confused with their inferior model air metallics in regular 17ml bottles. These are the Dumpy 35ml bottle with black fliptop cap. Good range of shades, very fine finish, mix well with each other and regular model colour. Takes masking well also. Didn't rate their specific gloss black primer or metal varnish. I have a build in the cabinet (not the one below mind) that is still tacky today from that varnish. 

Cheers, Tony

42 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Takes masking well also. Didn't rate their specific gloss black primer or metal varnish.

Now I didn't get on at all with these metallics.  They applied nicely, but lifted when I removed the masking :crying: The primer & varnish were bad too... In fact, it was the varnish that lifted, come to think of it :hmmm: Smells odd when you spray it. :hypnotised:  Maybe I need to try it with my favourite gloss varnish... just need to get 'em back from Julien is all :owww:

What's your Favourite? Here its alclad aquagloss or ak gauzy all the way. I tend to seal most metals before masking for all the smaller sprayed details anyways, protects the fragile finish from my sausages. 

Perhaps you need to try vallejo metal color over stynylrez? 

One point for me - ak gauzy only pre, not post, decals. 

Favourites are Gauzy if it's not going to get sanded afterward as it's just so shiny and easy to apply, Alclad Aqua Gloss for barrier coats with some possible light sanding needed, but for areas that will need "proper" sanding such as around the carrier film of decals, it still has to be Klear.  I have a couple of bottles left, so I pick & choose what tasks I use it for to eke it out :)

NEVER try to sand Gauzy - that's its achilles heal. :owww:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

This build was primed in the gloss black stynylrez, another new product to me, to make this an all acrylic NMF. (Link for gloss stynylrez at bottom of the post) 

Why, oh why do people persist in using gloss black primer for natural metal finishes?? This is necessary ONLY for chrome and super shiny metallics. For a normal natural metal appearance as seen on most aircraft, it is NOT NECESSARY! A smooth gray primer will work, and so will the bare, unpainted plastic in many cases.

• Like 2

I now stock the Mission Models paints and have been really pleased with the results that I have had from the 'samples' that fell out of the rack and onto my desk. I haven't tried the metallic ones yet though as I can't see past the AK Xtreme Metallics for NMF paint jobs.

I have to say that the MM faded aluminium looks good on Tony's Mig so I might have to look at trying that out too.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2017 at 10:15 AM, Tony Oliver said:

Order made! Along with some other goodies ;) 

Thanks Tony, they are in the Post so should be with you by Wednesday. Do show us how you get on with the RAF colours as I have only tried the Luftwaffe colours so far.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

At the risk of sounding heretical or just plain dense do you have any idea as to the suitability of these paints using ye olde hairy sticks?

Well I only brush small details not whole kits. I can say the normal colours do brush fine, the metals are a bit thinner so would need many coats. Haven't tried brushing these yet. 

Wouldn't fancy brushing an NMF myself but nothing to stop you trying I suppose? 

PS this plane is now complete, RFI here:

• Thanks 1

Cheers for that! Having only recent experience with acrylics I've found the internet adage 'dilute to the consistency of skim milk and apply multiple coats' has worked quite well for me. So I may grab a bottle of one of these and give it a trial whirl.

I recently brush painted a 1/72 Airfix Spit 22 in the OOB NMF scheme as part of my relearning process and it doesn't look too terrible. (To the naked eye, I've yet to shove it under a macro-lens!)

The Mission Models paints have got rave reviews wherever I've looked and should, fingers crossed, be an improvement over the bog standard Tamiya colours I'm currently using.

What could possibly go wrong?? :wink:

Edited by Gazontipede
I can haz no grammar
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some of the other shades,

sprayed onto some 1/72 exhaust parts. This was primed in gloss black stynylrez. 

Cold rolled steel, which has used the gloss below to give a lovely sheen. 

And then the burnt iron, which is a matt paint so had ended up as a satin finish on the gloss surface. 

Both were built up in lots of thin layers. 

Very impressed 👍🏿 

A73_ACDE3-6_EEC-4556-_BC7_B-271_F9249279

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The new gloss black base and Chrome from Mission Models is now in stock at BlackMike Models along with the new Clear Coats and other new Aircraft colours announce a month or so ago. It'll take a day or so for me to get them onto the website but bare with me.

Duncan B

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Oooh do I sniff RAF day fighter colours? 

Standby for an order! 

Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey? The clear coats have arrived too. They are up on the website now.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1