1/32 Tamiya P-51D Mustang "Missouri Armada"

after the interesting bebate and great build by Olivier, I have become a bit jealous ;) and decided that I will decorate my Mustang with the same scheme the "Armada Missouri"  gotta love the 357th FG colors, It will  be display  in flight, I have  to change some  minor details in order to this especific aircraft  like the fabric elevators and give her a K14 gunsight, also the green/ gray camoflage will be easer than achieve the tedious NMF,  although this build will take some time, I'm in the process of moving to another city and studying my masters so we will see when... 

please visit Olivier's thread  and get lots of useful information regarding the Mustang:http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235029538-missouri-armada-p-51d-mustang-documents-and-partial-scratch-from-the-tamiya-148-kit/&page=1 

cheers

Edited by antonio argudo
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mattlow said:

Glad to see you've resurrected this build Antonio...

Matt

Thanks Matt, yes the NMF is quite challenging and sent me to stop point,  achieving camouflage will be easer, well thats the theory! ;)

cheers

Edited by antonio argudo
  • Like 1

Goggle Spencer Pollard's take on nmf. I've tried it and it's far easier than using Alclad. Basics are use Tamiya AS12 as a primer then other metalics.

Has worked far better than black then alclad for me, and the AS12 sands and recoats a treat when you find blemishes

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, colin said:

Goggle Spencer Pollard's take on nmf. I've tried it and it's far easier than using Alclad. Basics are use Tamiya AS12 as a primer then other metalics.

Has worked far better than black then alclad for me, and the AS12 sands and recoats a treat when you find blemishes

thanks Colin  for the video, very intyeresting indeed, good lessons from the great Spencer!! though this build will be in green/gray camo.

cheers

Hey Antonio,

Yes, the one on the right is correct for 'Missouri Armada'. The one on the left didn't come into being until P-51D-25-NA (and later) production. I really admire your detailed paint work on the pilot figure and interior!

Edited by John Terrell
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, John Terrell said:

Hey Antonio,

Yes, the one on the right is correct for 'Missouri Armada'. The one on the left didn't come into being until P-51D-25-NA (and later) production. I really admire your detailed paint work on the pilot figure and interior!

you are right , also found this wonderfull pictures from the 357th Fg Mustangs

FRE_003178.jpg

FRE_003179.jpg

thank you Jon I'm very glad you like what I did so far, I hope the result will be satisfying to the eye of  Mustang experts ;)

cheers

Edited by antonio argudo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Well, how did I manage to miss this until now? I can see where Olivier got some of his inspiration looking at this. I shall be following closely from now on.

John

Hi John,  Olivier didnt know about my build since yesterday, it was me who got inspired by his Missouri Armada build, before I was going to do "Betty lou" Mustang with a pacific scheme,  but finally I changed it to Missouri Armada ,I'm glad you  enjoy this one mate, thanks!

cheers

• Like 2

On 2/19/2018 at 7:13 PM, colin said:

Goggle Spencer Pollard's take on nmf.

Looked at this last night and was very impressed. Have just decanted AS12 for first time and used through the Ab - wow! What a difference from hosing it on through the can.

I now know how I'm going to do the NMF on my P-51D-5.  Thanks for putting that link up.

Matt

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mattlow said:

So a non rattle can version of AS12 - yes?

EDIT - I see, it is LP-11 must get a bottle or two.

Matt

Sorry to glutter Antonio's thread

Just be careful with some of Tamiya's metal paints, the metallic particles in some can be quite large, that's what I like about AS12 you can't even make them out.

If LP11 is the same make up there shouldn't be a problem, although looking at the picture, the the paint inside looks like there is a lot of stuff floating around in there.

• Like 1