Trumpeter 1/700 Prinz Eugen (1945)

This is the Trumpeter 1/700 Prinz Eugen as she looked in 1945. The kit has had many parts replaced with aftermarket parts, the 8 inch and 4.1 inch gun barrels are from Master, most of the photo etch was from WEM, The mainmast is by Flyhawk, as are the single 40mm Bofors guns (yes the Germans did have Bofors guns in 1945!). The model was badly damaged in an accident a few years ago and I've just repaired it recently, so the odd small part might be missing.

thanks

Mike

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and water

Image may contain: water and outdoor

Image may contain: water

Image may contain: outdoor and water

Image may contain: outdoor

Edited by Mikemx
  • Like 19

She wasn't 'wasted'. She was used to learn about how effective nuclear weapons would be against capital ships. (Nukes themselves are of course a whole different discussion.)

Preservation would have been problematic - who would have paid to keep afloat a ship belonging to a defeated enemy, especially one that belonged to a ideal like Nazism? Can you imagine the outcry? The US and UK have had enough political and financial trouble keeping alive their own historic ships, there'd be no chance of a German vessel being accorded that honour.

Nice model Mike. Those old warships certainly had a grandeur that is missing in the modern cookie cutter all-grey designs.

• Like 2

Off Topic ( Great Model by the way ) -  nice book on her to read is Prinz Eugen by Fritz-Otto Busch ( Futura paperback )

this also details in depth - her fire support missions on the Eastern front in 1944/45 ( which are often forgotten )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 73north said:

Off Topic ( Great Model by the way ) -  nice book on her to read is Prinz Eugen by Fritz-Otto Busch ( Futura paperback )

this also details in depth - her fire support missions on the Eastern front in 1944/45 ( which are often forgotten )

Its great book, read it as a kid and loved Prinz ever since. Glad that he/she is still with us in a way - better than being scrapped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 73north said:

I haven't forgotten them. The German navy performed heroics trying to help soldiers and civilians alike, to get them away from the red army.

2 hours ago, DaveH said:

Nice one Mike, nice to see her finished....:clap2:

Cheers

Dave :coolio:

You saw it up close and personal at the Sutton Coldfield sold a while ago, when it was originally finished! It died at the following Telford show but I thought I best start resurrecting the ones that got damaged!

thanks

Mike

Great finish to your model. Fantastic work.

Amazingly Prinz Eugen can actually be seen on Google Maps

Google Map Link

She capsized off Kwajalein Atoll where she had been towed after surviving the nuclear blasts at Bikini Atoll. It appears from photographs on Google Maps that it is possible to snorkel dive onto the wreck and that one of her propellers lies out of the water! I suppose she will have been stripped of most "stuff" before the Operation Crossroads Nuclear Tests and I do idly wonder (as I'm never going to be in a position to visit the Marshall Islands) how radioactive she is?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Barrie Durrant said:

That's a very nice model....thanks for sharing.  How did you achieve the realistic water base? (If you don't mind me asking) :thumbsup:

Thanks, the base is from Coastalkit Bases.

thanks

Mike

Edited by Mikemx