Best way to paint propeller nose? (see link)

Gardner95x

Hi guys,

New to modelling etc, I have a Tamiya FW-190D-9 JV44 and am not sure on the best way to paint the propeller nose, I've painted it black as per instructions but the end of the nose is yellow and am not sure how to mask it properly or if there's an easier way to do it.

Sorry if it's a really simple thing to do but I'm not entirely sure on it!

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/61081focke_jv44/focke.htm

As you can see the propeller nose is yellow at the end

Is the propeller already built ? Or is it still in its seperate components ? I usually paint the lighter color first. Clear coat it and Mask then the Dark color. Then clearcoat it again. And assemble. If its already assembled i would clearcoat it all. Then tape the blades to protect them. Use a piece of tape to get a straight edge. Then apply a liquid masking agent to the black. Carefully cut the tape away with a sharp blade and remove. Then paint the Yellow. When its dry and cured remove the liquid mask and clearcoat it. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Is it all one piece where the black and yellow part is? I'm assuming it is. I would prime it with white, spray the whole thing yellow then use tape such as Tamiya but don't use it straight off the roll as it's too wide. Place it onto a cutting mat and cut a long, thin strip about 1mm wide using a fresh scalpel blade and a steel ruler. Then mask the line between the yellow and the black. The tape will follow the curve easily being so thin. You could also use the new Tamiya fine line tape which bends around curves and shapes easily.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Another way is to paint the dark colour, punch a hole in a piece of plasticard and push that over the spinner, align carefully, then paint the front half/third of the spinner

Or use a round hole stencil from a stationery supplier.

My scale ruler has multi sized holes that I've used for just this purpose.

10 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

use tape such as Tamiya but don't use it straight off the roll as it's too wide. Place it onto a cutting mat and cut a long, thin strip about 1mm wide using a fresh scalpel blade and a steel ruler. Then mask the line between the yellow and the black. The tape will follow the curve easily being so thin. You could also use the new Tamiya fine line tape which bends around curves and shapes easily.

^This way^:yes:

It’s how I’ve always masked items like this.

5Szj1ub.jpg?1

ZTCOYdh.jpg

Apologies for using yellow tape on a yellow item, but it was the nearest thing to grab to show you the general idea.

Mart

• Like 1