Special Hobby Hawker Tempest II. ON HOLD FOR NOW.

Hi everyone

I started this one back along, put it to one side and I've recently picked it back up.

I posted these pictures along with the original thread but they've since disappeared so.....

36017599183_75d5619792_k.jpg

35992336294_214f182b99_k.jpg

36687101791_4d9c518785_k.jpg

36826814015_a7bc143479_k.jpg

36017596783_1c2dbe3b27_k.jpg

36017597263_172d7b9605_k.jpg

36656449592_c96ab4f89c_k.jpg

And this is the scheme I going for.... (its not I'm doing scheme A)

36017592433_c3c2f6ede3_k.jpg

I've been working on the cockpit over the past couple of weeks but I don't have pictures yet, but I'll take some later on today.

Cheers all

• Like 7

I'll be following this - just bought one of these so hope to pick up some tips!

I can't decide whether mine will be camouflaged (in which case probably the same scheme you're doing) or the aluminium example from Malaya. Or maybe the Indian one.

Hi everyone

I just want to try a test. Can you let me know what you think? Can you see the video? The cockpit is only placed together its not glued yet.

Please tap the photo.

Test

Cheers guys n gals

Iain

• Like 1

That's looking great, I'm waiting for the non Hi Tech version to come out before I get one as it is outside my normal WW2 subjects so I don't want to fork out a load of dosh for something that will not fit in with my collection.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spitfire said:

That's looking great, I'm waiting for the non Hi Tech version to come out before I get one as it is outside my normal WW2 subjects so I don't want to fork out a load of dosh for something that will not fit in with my collection.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis

Cheers mate appreciate it. I can testify that so far the level of detail (even without the resin) is very good and the fit of parts although not perfect isn't too bad either,

Tomorrow I'll make a start on the seat belts, the rather splended RB productions Sutton belts, these are the only additions I've made to the kit.

In preparation for adding the belts I've already super glued the fittings to the seat before I painted it to ensure a good strong bond and to glue the paper of the belts I'll use Gator glue followed by a touch of weathering with pastels.

Cheers

Iain

Good to see you back with this one Iain, the cockpit looks very good to me.

I have been tempted to get one but can't decide on which mark, so I will probably wait for Eduard and get one of each, and like Dennis I have limited display space.

Cheers

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

Hi everyone

I've had a very productive day to day (it's amazing what you can do on a day off 😎).

First thing this morning I spent a couple of hours on the gun bay, sanding and fettling it to get it to fit and although it's not perfect it's not too bad either. I still need to add the bullets and cannon to the structure plus the small ancillary bits and bobs before I can prime and paint it.

One thing I do regret from earlier is that I elected to super glue the gun bay to the lower wing to allow me to sand the upper wing to get it thin enough for the resin insert, I must of knocked the gun bay whilst it was drying as it's about .3 mm off from where it should be, it's not a show stopper but it's very annoying none the less.

I've also made up the wheel well inserts which were a little fiddly but now that they have dried (glue) look ok and they just need priming, painting and weathering.

The cockpit is about 98% finished, I've added the Mk II gyro gunsight (less the PE which I'll add later) it just needs a flat coat as does the rest of the cockpit and the instruments picking out with pva glue to give them that nice glass look once it's dry.

I've dry fitted all the main components and I must say I'm very happy with the results, she is going to be a good looking lady when she's finished.

I don't have any progress pictures, I'll take some over the next few days, before I button her up.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 2

On 15/09/2017 at 7:27 AM, Fritag said:

Like the grey highlights in the cockpit.  I think that'll be very effective when the fuselage is closed up :D

Hi Steve

Actually you can't see much of anything when it's all together, which is a shame as Special Hobby have done a pretty decent job on the cockpit - still I know it's there 👍

On 15/09/2017 at 9:18 AM, Biggles87 said:

Good to see you back with this one Iain, the cockpit looks very good to me.

I have been tempted to get one but can't decide on which mark, so I will probably wait for Eduard and get one of each, and like Dennis I have limited display space.

Cheers

John

Hi John

Cheers mate. It's a lovely kit with just the right amount of resin and PE and it fits together ok to, the only thing I don't like is the HGW belts, I just can't get on with them, I find the RB production belts much easier to use.

Thanks for looking

Iain

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone

Its been a while but I am still podding alone with this one. So far I've managed to get 80% of the painting complete, I still need to finish off the undercarriage wells and gun bay. The kit has been great to build, however if I was to do another I wouldn't open up the gun bay in the wing as its caused me no end of problems and it still doesn't fit very well.

37687446342_5a41861c13_b.jpg

37049383033_91a1caa478_b.jpg

37687448742_470b3e99e3_b.jpg

37009910484_65e3e2f134_b.jpg

37461874660_11b80a1ce2_b.jpg

37009913764_8a449c7b23_b.jpg

37461876960_671ed05706_b.jpg

As you can see from this picture there is quite a large gap between the gun bay insert and the wing..

37049390263_cac1c06d1e_b.jpg

37461878230_4de49782a8_b.jpg

..but that said it sure does look like a Tempest!

Cheers

Iain

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all

Well what can I say I've stared the decaling and I've made 2 yes 2 school boy errors. I'm not going to tell you what they are you have to guess 👍

Created with Photo Editor- http://axiem.net/editor

A hussar for anyone that spots em!

Cheers 

Iain

• Like 5

Very nice!! Makes me anxious to get my Airfix Sea Fury! I know, not the same kit, but the anxiousness remains. That paint is looking great and the decal application too. And though that gun bay may have caused problems, it's looking pretty sharp all in all.

As for the 'boo-boos,' do I get a huzzah for the wing tip lights and exhausts painted the fuse color..?

Edited by Thom216

6 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Very nice!! Makes me anxious to get my Airfix Sea Fury! I know, not the same kit, but the anxiousness remains. That paint is looking great and the decal application too. And though that gun bay may have caused problems, it's looking pretty sharp all in all.

As for the 'boo-boos,' do I get a huzzah for the wing tip lights and exhausts painted the fuse color..?

Hey Thom

The gun bay has caused me no end of grief - in hind sight I wish I hadn't opened the wing up and installed it - as for the huzzah, Nope sorry the nav lights and and exhausts will both be finished in due course :D, thanks for trying though.

Iain 

Morning

Question: Should MW774, HF*X have white bands on the horizontal Stabilisers? Like the 2nd plane in this shot...

1850-72

or a screen shot from FS2004..

Tem2A

Any information would be appreciated before I get too far ahead of my self and masking becomes a problem.

TIA

Iain