Special Hobby Hawker Tempest II. ON HOLD FOR NOW.

I've just found this in my photo stash...

mk11

I know its not MW774, its 742 but I think its a 54 Sqn machine, the spinner and tail band are the same and the blooming box art shows it!...

36017599183_1ede56b3a0_b.jpg

So later onto day I'll be mainly masking and spraying the stabs with the white bars, its not a show stopper but I'm baffled as to how I managed to miss, what is quite an obvious thing!

Laters

Iain

• Like 1

Just now, snapper_city said:

The more of these in see built the more I want one. Great job so far. 

Morning mate

Its a great kit and TBH it doesn't need all the resin do-dads, the gun bay plugin has caused me all sorts of problems and TBH I'm not very happy with it now, if I did another (Tempest Mk V for example) I wouldn't bother with them.

Oh and thanks for the comments.

Iain

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Morning mate

Its a great kit and TBH it doesn't need all the resin do-dads, the gun bay plugin has caused me all sorts of problems and TBH I'm not very happy with it now, if I did another (Tempest Mk V for example) I wouldn't bother with them.

Oh and thanks for the comments.

Iain

Thanks for the advice. 

Well that didn't go exactly as planned.

I thought I'd dip the canopy and I've managed to ruin it, the large registration decals that go under the wing shattered when I tried to apply them, the undercarriage is fighting me all the way and I just found out that it doesn't fit in my display case..so I'm gonna put this to one side for the foreseeable future and decide what to do next.

Thanks for looking in.

Iain

Some pictures of the canopy...

Created with Photo Editor- http://axiem.net/editor

So there you have it. I gotta say it's a fine looking aeroplane and if it gets finished it will look the part....it's just that as of now I've had enough of it.

Til next time 

Iain

Probably the best thing to do is put it on one side and build something simple to get the urge back,  as for the canopy you could always get in touch with those nice people at SH for a replacement one or use an AM one, the kit one it looks just like the Squadron vacform Hawker Typhoon one that I used on my MDC Typhoon. Hope all that work does not go to waste though.

Cheers

Dennis, 

• Like 1

Fair do's if you put it on the shelf iain but the canopy should be a easy enough fix ,did you dip it in future clear ? It looks like it hasn't  adhered properly,  give it an isopropyl alcohol bath over night it won't  harm the plastic, you've done a sterling job,  it looks like a really nice model so far, i like the gun bays. 

Glynn

5 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Fair do's if you put it on the shelf iain but the canopy should be a easy enough fix ,did you dip it in future clear ? It looks like it hasn't  adhered properly,  give it an isopropyl alcohol bath over night it won't  harm the plastic, you've done a sterling job,  it looks like a really nice model so far, i like the gun bays. 

Glynn

Hiya

I used humbrol clear - will IPA clean it off in the same way? 

• Like 1

oops

I thought I had some IPA to hand...erm I don't think it was the right stuff as the canopy has literally melted! I did take a picture but its not pretty!

You gotta laugh though, I'll try Special Hobby for a replacement and if no joy there I'll look at after market.

Its really not the end of the world is it?

Cheers all and see you later

Iain

8 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hiya

I used humbrol clear - will IPA clean it off in the same way? 

I see its too late, the acrylic version yes would have come off with ipa,  good luck with a replacement 

• Like 1

Let's all hope that SH can come to the party on this one. 

I've just caught up with this build and it really needs to get finished - you've done a wonderful job so far it would be a shame to S.O.D it. 

Recovery is the key word here - like a trophy girlfriend / wife - she's just too beautiful not to display in all her glory. 

Cheers and best of modelling luck... Dave.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hewy said:

I see its too late, the acrylic version yes would have come off with ipa,  good luck with a replacement 

Hi mate 

lol it will teach me to label my products more clearly and confuse enamel thinners for IPA 😆😱

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Let's all hope that SH can come to the party on this one. 

I've just caught up with this build and it really needs to get finished - you've done a wonderful job so far it would be a shame to S.O.D it. 

Recovery is the key word here - like a trophy girlfriend / wife - she's just too beautiful not to display in all her glory. 

Cheers and best of modelling luck... Dave.   

Hey Dave

I’m away from home on an ADR course for a couple of days and on the drive up I did a little thinking about my problem. The plane is too nice to confin to the SOD so I’ve been in line and found a web site that allows you to down load the correct fonts for RAF serial numbers / letters so when I get home I’ll make some masks and spray them so that’s the decal problem sorted, the canopy can be replaced and the undercarriage just needs some fettling, nothing more. So watch this space it will get finished! 😎

cheers all

Iain

• Like 5