Hoping for advice on building Lancaster EE133 UM-C2

ExiledFish

A somewhat morbid subject, but I was hoping someone could help me out with some research for a Lancaster kit that's in my To-Do pile (the Revell 1/72). After the Halifax and B-17F (oh God, why do I do this...) :S 

I'm hoping - if I can find that right parts - to replicate a single bomber, B.III EE133, UM-C2 (C-squared) of 626 Squadron. This was a favourite aircraft of Jack Currie, who wrote some excellent books on his time in Bomber Command (I first read 'Lancaster Target' when I was 12 and still have my well-thumbed copy that I still read every year).

I wanted to build a Lancaster that represents the 'workhorses' if you will, flown by tired crews slogging away during the awful winter campaign against Berlin in 43-44. Photos and airframe details are thin on the ground, and all I really know so far is that Charlie Two has needleblade props and I don't know how to trace serial numbers or such.

Anyways, my query revolves around the delightful subject of Bombs...

i know from the 626 Sqn ORB that on Dec 16th 1943 Charlie Two was carrying 1x Cookie, 4,000lb and "(56 x 30)(120 x 4'X')(960 x 4 inc).

Now, I know what a Cookie looks like and I'll try and maybe find a resin one, but the incendiaries....? I think 'X' means two minute delayed action, I know incendiaries came in SBCs and that there's some nice resin ones on Belcher Bits (a handy link here steered me there), but how many containers do 1080 4lbs and 56 30lbs fit into? Does anyone have any ideas at all? I have a clunky set of numbers but that gives me 19 SBCs and 1 Cookie which I don't think I can fit. Looking at assorted pictures Ithink the max would be 18 and a Cookie (fours rows of 4, them a Cookie with two on each side).

Man, this is a horrible subject. It's kit building pedanticism rather than bomb morbidity, I assure you.

(Incidentally, I've been browsing Hannants for additional 1/72 Lancaster parts and I find many designed for Airfix and Hasegawa but few for the Revell kit (Eduard is the same). Daft question maybe, but is it worth taking a gamble with certain components?)

(Also...decal sheets. Any advice on where to find those? I've looked at some but can't find any with C-squared or a 'build-your-own-serial-number'. Do some websites do custom-made ones?)

Apologies for the long post. I did debate the merits of resurrecting old threads, but in the end decided against it. Someone please say if that would have been better as I hate treading on toes.

Edited by ExiledFish
Title change

For the bombs you could also get the Airfix RAF bomber re-supply set (https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/bomber-re-supply-set-1-72.html)

As for the squadron codes / serial numbers, Xtradecal has those: Xtradecal X72RAF2 is a nice complete set with serial numbers and letters in different sizes, you can find it here: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72RAF2 (the page lists which sets it comprises).

Not sure exactly what to do with the "square" but maybe you could slice up some of the existing decals?

As far as interior, you should be able to fit some resin designed for another kit that's not dependent on the exact size of bulkheads and stuff, but the Eduard PE sets are nice and complete in and of themselves. Also, not a whole lot can be seen in a 1/72 Lancaster (especially the front nose compartment and the wireless operator position are all but invisible).

HTH!

Not sure about the bomb questions. But for the photoetch and resin you can transfer stuff designed for one kit to others with a little fiddling around if it needs to be. It might be a shade small or large and you can leave it alone if its a little small. If its a shade to big you might need to trim/file/sand the piece a little, to get it to conform but you can usually make things work. 

I have the Spec of EE139 from my own squadron and was as follows:

Cockpit blister in the starboard side only

Bomb aimers blister was Standard, No '00' in the nose

Pointed props

Old style Pitot head

Fuselage windows

'Window' chute

No H2S

This profile is from my book 'Lancaster Operations'

36216495664_4927115064_z.jpg

'Charlie Two' should have been almost identical . . .

I hope this helps

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
Added profile

9 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

I have the Spec of EE139 from my own squadron and was as follows:

Cockpit blister in the starboard side only

Bomb aimers blister was Standard, No '00' in the nose

Pointed props

Old style Pitot head

Fuselage windows

'Window' chute

No H2S

'Charlie Two' should have been almost identical

Ian

Aha, EE139, Phantom of the Ruhr? I think they would be the same production batch then, though I think C2 was withdrawn to OTU in January 44 so may be missing some late-war mods. I think there's an amusing excerpt in Currie's book mentioning the Windows chute being moved to the nose.

Incidentally the Phantom was my reserve choice if Charlie Two doesn't work out. Fun fact you probably already know - Jim Cassidy, navigator on his and Jack Currie's first tour (incl. C2), flew his second tour's 2nd Op on the Phantom in late 1944 to Aschaffenburg - the Phantom's 121st and last Op before being moved to an HCU. Spooky! :) 

The bomb aimers blister - is the Standard one not as, er, 'bulgey' as the one with the OO Z-Equipment?

Ditto the pitot head - I sound a dunce here, but what is the old style version?

Thanks to everyone for the tips - I shall follow that link for decals and maybe take the plunge on some additional parts for the exterior so long as they don't break the bank. I'll keep googling about for the SBC info, if no joy I'll just stuff it with the max SBCs I can neatly squeeze in around a Cookie :S

3 hours ago, ExiledFish said:

A somewhat morbid subject, but I was hoping someone could help me out with some research for a Lancaster kit that's in my To-Do pile (the Revell 1/72). After the Halifax and B-17F (oh God, why do I do this...) :S 

I'm hoping - if I can find that right parts - to replicate a single bomber, B.III EE133, UM-C2 (C-squared) of 626 Squadron. This was a favourite aircraft of Jack Currie, who wrote some excellent books on his time in Bomber Command (I first read 'Lancaster Target' when I was 12 and still have my well-thumbed copy that I still read every year).

I wanted to build a Lancaster that represents the 'workhorses' if you will, flown by tired crews slogging away during the awful winter campaign against Berlin in 43-44. Photos and airframe details are thin on the ground, and all I really know so far is that Charlie Two has needleblade props and I don't know how to trace serial numbers or such.

i know from the 626 Sqn ORB that on Dec 16th 1943 Charlie Two was carrying 1x Cookie, 4,000lb and "(56 x 30)(120 x 4'X')(960 x 4 inc).

Now, I know what a Cookie looks like and I'll try and maybe find a resin one, but the incendiaries....? I think 'X' means two minute delayed action, I know incendiaries came in SBCs and that there's some nice resin ones on Belcher Bits (a handy link here steered me there), but how many containers do 1080 4lbs and 56 30lbs fit into? Does anyone have any ideas at all? I have a clunky set of numbers but that gives me 19 SBCs and 1 Cookie which I don't think I can fit. Looking at assorted pictures Ithink the max would be 18 and a Cookie (fours rows of 4, them a Cookie with two on each side).

Man, this is a horrible subject. It's kit building pedanticism rather than bomb morbidity, I assure you.

(Incidentally, I've been browsing Hannants for additional 1/72 Lancaster parts and I find many designed for Airfix and Hasegawa but few for the Revell kit (Eduard is the same). Daft question maybe, but is it worth taking a gamble with certain components?)

(Also...decal sheets. Any advice on where to find those? I've looked at some but can't find any with C-squared or a 'build-your-own-serial-number'. Do some websites do custom-made ones?)

Apologies for the long post. I did debate the merits of resurrecting old threads, but in the end decided against it. Someone please say if that would have been better as I hate treading on toes.

Bomb wise as far as I know, Lancaster could carry both the small and large versions of the SBC.

One Lancaster large SBC could carry 360 x 4lb incendiaries. so 1080 x 4lb would go into three SBC's.

Each Lancaster large SBC could carry  14 x 30lb incendiaries so 56 x 30 would go into four SBC's.

for a total of seven SBC's in the bomb load.

the 4 X  4lb bomb had a small explosive charge inside to dissuade  German firefighters  from trying to put them out. they could have either 2 or 4 second delays on them,  all 4lb incendiary bomb loads always contained some  4X bombs.

Selwyn

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

One Lancaster large SBC could carry 360 x 4lb incendiaries. so 1080 x 4lb would go into three SBC's.

Each Lancaster large SBC could carry  14 x 30lb incendiaries so 56 x 30 would go into four SBC's.

Selwyn

Thankyou! That's a great help! Was the number of incendiaries per SBC standardised, or could it vary? Seven SBCs and a Cookie seems an odd number for a 'maximum effort' 

i shall have to seek out pictures of a large SBC...

1 hour ago, ExiledFish said:

Thankyou! That's a great help! Was the number of incendiaries per SBC standardised, or could it vary? Seven SBCs and a Cookie seems an odd number for a 'maximum effort' 

i shall have to seek out pictures of a large SBC...

5 hours ago, ExiledFish said:

Berlin was a long

flight = more fuel, less bomb load.

Someone here will probably be able to tell you the ratios.

5 hours ago, ExiledFish said:

Incidentally, I've been browsing Hannants for additional 1/72 Lancaster parts and I find many designed for Airfix and Hasegawa but few for the Revell kit (Eduard is the same). Daft question maybe, but is it worth taking a gamble with certain components?)

decal sheets,  Xtradecal do generic sheets, only problem,  the RAF did not use generic codes,  they could and did vary a lot, there was no specfic "font" if you will.

Turns out there is a 'value pack'  which lists the other sheets

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72RAF2

Description:
RAF Red Bomber Serials and Squadron Codes. Bumper pack including all four Xtradecal red bomber code and serial sheets X72126, X72210, X72211 and X72212. Four decal sheets for the price of three.
(RAF codes/RAF code letters/RAF serial numbers) serial letters 

X72126 RAF WWII Red 8" serial letters and numbers, stencil and non-stencil styles and 48" x 30" x 6" code numbers to go with MD082. To replace Modeldecal MD083 which is now out of print.

X72210 RAF WWII Dull red bomber code letters 48" high x 24" x 6" stroke. (RAF codes/RAF code letters/RAF serial numbers)

X72211 RAF WWII Dull red bomber code letters 48" high x 30" x 6" stroke. Was MD081. MD083 Red 48" numbers and 8" serials now renumbered Xtradecal X72126 and goes with this sheet. (RAF codes/RAF code letters/RAF serial numbers)

X72212 RAF WWII Dull red letters and numbers 36" high x 6" and 4.5" strokes. Was MD084.
8" red serials to go with this sheet on Xtradecal X72126. (RAF codes/RAF code letters/RAF serial numbers)

if you don't have a reference photo,  try to find another plane of the same sq and era and use that as a guide, note the different styles noted above...quick google of '626 squadron Lancaster'

this is 44/45,but a veteran

this has the "2" square, you cold probably  use an 8 inch serial decal (others may know more)

FF02.jpg

the codes look on a quick eyeball to be 48x24x6 inch type,   but you'd need a 43/44 pic for confirmation. Note there are plenty of very knowledgeable members here,   just ask.

Note,  if you use 'edit' then 'full edit'  on your first post you can change the thread heading,  

eg "info required on B.III EE133, UM-C2 (C-squared) of 626 Squadron."  for example.

I just google the above

http://www.626-squadron.co.uk/groundcrew.htm

and

http://www.626-squadron.co.uk/crews6.html

has a pic of EE133

img24.jpg

Jack Curries' Crew taken in January 1944 with  EE133  'Charley Two' in the background and without Jim Cassidy.

Left to right Myring, Currie, Bretell, Protheroe, Walker, Fairburn

note strip of perspex cut from rear turret for improved vision.

The Revell Lanc  has a few issue,  the big problem is  to do with the outer wing dihedral.  if you are planning on adding bells and whistles, you may want to get a better base kit.

this may help

if you don't have them, the Lancaster at War books can be got cheap, and have an amazing amount of photos.

eg this is reprint of Vol1 and 2 as a single edition

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lancaster-Mike-Garbett/dp/1856480550

copies 1p and post

HTH

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Berlin was a long

flight = more fuel, less bomb load.

Someone here will probably be able to tell you the ratios.

if you don't have a reference photo,  try to find another plane of the same sq and era and use that as a guide, note the different styles noted above...quick google of '626 squadron Lancaster'

this is 44/45,but a veteran

the codes look on a quick eyeball to be 48x24x6 inch type,   but you'd need a 43/44 pic for confirmation. Note there are plenty of very knowledgeable members here,   just ask.

Note,  if you use 'edit' then 'full edit'  on your first post you can change the thread heading,  

eg "info required on B.III EE133, UM-C2 (C-squared) of 626 Squadron."  for example.

I just google the above

The Revell Lanc  has a few issue,  the big problem is  to do with the outer wing dihedral.  if you are planning on adding bells and whistles, you may want to get a better base kit.

this may help

HTH

That's my one picture! Neatly shows the needleblades, though I'd forgotten about the rear turret perspex :S Nice detail! I've got the Lancaster at War 1/2 volumes and have been all over the 626 Squadron website so have an approximation of what the sqn numbers should look like. I've spent hours today looking up bombs and aerials and variants and all sorts - time has flown :D 

I'm not sure on bombs vs Berlin - even 'Usual' load, to use the code, was 12 SBCs and a Cookie. The average 626 Squadron Lancaster on December 16th was carrying the same number of 30lb-ers and Cookie as C2, but also 1110 4lb-ers. So C2 (and two others) were carrying 150 less than the average. Maybe an older aircraft with reduced performance - it was withdrawn a month after?

I was plumbing for a 1/72 scale to match my Halifax and B-17F so went for three kits from Revell. I might have a look at other 1/72 Lancasters, but not sure if I'll change it to be honest - I'll have a think. EDIT: Hmm, the Airfix B.I(FE)/B.III kit does seem to have the better rep than the Revell or Hasegawa. Intriguing...

Thankyou for the decal measurements! I was looking at those earlier and was quite baffled! Can you interpret 48x24x6 for me? Is that height, total width and, um, something...? How did you gauge that by eye? Amazing.

Sorry for all the posts :S

Edited by ExiledFish

6 minutes ago, ExiledFish said:

Can you interpret 48x24x6 for me? Is that height, total width and, um, something...?

height 48 inch, width 24 inch, the 6 inch is width of the stroke of the letter.

12 minutes ago, ExiledFish said:

I'm not sure on bombs vs Berlin - even 'Usual' load, to use the code, was 12 SBCs and a Cookie. The average 626 Squadron Lancaster on December 16th was carrying the same number of 30lb-ers and Cookie as C2, but also 1110 4lb-ers. So C2 (and two others) were carrying 150 less than the average. Maybe an older aircraft with reduced performance - it was withdrawn a month after?

It was a guess!

as a new member,  I don't know what you already know or don't,  ( it's worth mentioning briefly what you know as well as what you don't! )

I don't know enough on the bomb loads,  again,  other here may well do, I've seen some very knowledgeable posts on this,  @Selwyn  has made some very informative posts on munition details that I had no idea about at all, regarding colours for example   and there are  other equally knowledgeable folks  here, @Mancunian airman  is very good on many details,as  demonstrated above.

I can say that overall the better  the question,  the better the answers.

No need to apologise for all the posts,  the forum is here for questions :) 

one final point, the site search is not great,  I find it easier to use google and 'britmodeller'  into the search term.

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

It was a guess!

as a new member,  I don't know what you already know or don't,  ( it's worth mentioning briefly what you know as well as what you don't! )

I don't know enough on the bomb loads,  again,  other here may well do, I've seen some very knowledgeable posts on this,  @Selwyn  has made some very informative posts on munition details that I had no idea about at all, regarding colours for example   and there are  other equally knowledgeable folks  here, @Mancunian airman  is very good on many details,as  demonstrated above.

I can say that overall the better  the question,  the better the answers.

No need to apologise for all the posts,  the forum is here for questions :) 

one final point, the site search is not great,  I find it easier to use google and 'britmodeller'  into the search term.

cheers

T

:) I apologise if that came off badly - I didn't intend it to at all, I'm finding everything here fascinating with very very knowledgable people. The curse of internet text-speak strikes again :D . I have a decent amateurish knowledge of Bomber Command, but less on aircraft technical info and my knowledge of kit-building specifics is, well, 'experienced beginner'. I'm only just at the stage of using etch, basic mods or non-box paint scheme or decals etc. So bomb layouts, decal measurements, B.I/B.III differences, types of glue, non-Tamiya/Humbrol tools & liquids etc are all new to me. But yes, it would help if I said all this when asking Q's, so I'll take that on board.

:) I think though, after reading your thoughts on the Revell kit & following the link you gave, that I'll definitely get the Airfix 1/72 instead. It has the better rep and leaves more scope for some extra exterior details.

Don't get too paranoid about how to ask a question- Troy just likes to answer every conceivable wrinkle!  It really isn't possible to say, "Look, I know xyz, so don't bother addressing that, but I don't know q, and thought I knew m but someone will now tell me that what I thought I knew was erroneous..."

And then of course there'll be the wise-guys like me who pipe in even when they don't actually have answers to your questions...

As for the kits, some of us get rather too carried away about "accuracy", but I certainly wouldn't junk a kit you already have because someone told you a different one is "better".  I MIGHT do that, but I'm not telling someone else to ... except in certain cases!  If you run that way, more power to you, but if you don't, don't feel ashamed.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ExiledFish said:

Yes it is. I do it all the time. Some parts fit straight on, some just need a wee bit of fettling. The only a/m parts to be wary of are canopies; they don't always fit another model, but if there is no other available I make it fit - usually, sometimes

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ExiledFish said:

Aha, EE139, Phantom of the Ruhr? I think they would be the same production batch then, though I think C2 was withdrawn to OTU in January 44 so may be missing some late-war mods. I think there's an amusing excerpt in Currie's book mentioning the Windows chute being moved to the nose.

Incidentally the Phantom was my reserve choice if Charlie Two doesn't work out. Fun fact you probably already know - Jim Cassidy, navigator on his and Jack Currie's first tour (incl. C2), flew his second tour's 2nd Op on the Phantom in late 1944 to Aschaffenburg - the Phantom's 121st and last Op before being moved to an HCU. Spooky! :) 

The bomb aimers blister - is the Standard one not as, er, 'bulgey' as the one with the OO Z-Equipment?

Ditto the pitot head - I sound a dunce here, but what is the old style version?

Thanks to everyone for the tips - I shall follow that link for decals and maybe take the plunge on some additional parts for the exterior so long as they don't break the bank. I'll keep googling about for the SBC info, if no joy I'll just stuff it with the max SBCs I can neatly squeeze in around a Cookie :S

The pitot head can be seen at the front beneath the nose section. Later type was along the fuselage/ bomb bay/floor externally located.

The BA's blister was initially 'shallow' as seen on the Manchester and very early Lancasters. Next came a 'Standard' type that was more bulbous than the previous version, with the later modified type, same larger size,  having the two 'OO' circles indicating IFF MK IV (I think).

There is a photo that exists of LM321 which Jack also flew and that had some nose artwork; it was later transferred to 100 Squadron.

Good luck with your research and build

Ian

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Bomb wise as far as I know, Lancaster could carry both the small and large versions of the SBC.

the 4 X  4lb bomb had a small explosive charge inside to dissuade  German firefighters  from trying to put them out. they could have either 2 or 4 second delays on them,  all 4lb incendiary bomb loads always contained some  4X bombs.

Selwyn

Actually the large SBC could only carry 150 x 4lb incendiaries or 12 x 30 lb incendiaries. They did carry a mix a large and smaller SBCs, the smaller ones carried 90 x 4lb or 8 x 30lb.

edit: some more info, here is a Lancaster with the large deeper SBCs, along with a even smaller one that looks like it carried 60 x 4lb or 4 x 30lb incendiaries:

Mildenhall.jpg

Here is info about SBCs, scroll down slightly to Incendiary Bombs:

SBC

Jari

Edited by Finn
  • Like 1

Again, dozens of thankyou's to everyone replying! Wonderfully helpful.

One thought about SBCs - I wonder whether these were mounted in a conventional bomb carrier 'cradle' or whether they were bolted into the bomb bay using the mechanism at the top (visible in the above image) that allowed them to hinge open, drop incendiaries, and return the Container to the airbase for reuse?

Does anyone know where records of Lancaster serial numbers may be found? Something that may list the manufacturing and technical history of the aircraft  and to which units it was sent to? 

Or rather, do such records even exist? It's common to read of engine serials being traced to particular aircraft or of an aircraft that flew with several squadrons, so there must be a record of all this somewhere, surely?

Edited by ExiledFish
Amending SBC paragraph

Airline published "Lancaster, the definitive history" which lists all Lancasters completed and has most of their service histories.  There are serial/code tables, so you can see, for example, how many Lancasters coded?"A" flew with a given unit.  My copy has disappeared but I'm sure some lucky soul on here has a copy that they could thumb through for you.

Squadron code letters should, if applied according to the book, be 48" High and 30" wide with 5" strokes but, as already discussed, variations were legion.  If you want some small 2s for the codes ("C2") you might want to try finding a transfer sheet from the 1980sAirfix Lancaster which had markings for ED888 (same production batch as EE133 and the Dams raid aeroplanes) "PM: M2"; other options may also be available (I think the new Airfix B. II has some but I need to check).  I can also check my transfer bank for you as I think I have at least one of these sheets knocking around looking for a home.

I've found the Revell kit a bit disappointing: apart from dihedral and tail wheel size issues (amongst others) the cockpit is also a bit of a cock-up: the pilot's seat ends up too high and too far back and the platform on which it is mounted in the real aeroplane doesn't extend as far back as Revell would have it.  It is also wider.  Airfix, in both the 1980s and present kit's, have it much more accurately.  The engineering of the new Airfix kit is more complex but I prefer it.

Yes the SBC were mounted with the bomb cradle, here is a Halifax getting a SBC load:

616067a530b761556c397bc73670de4a--handle

Here is a video showing a SBC being loaded with incendiaries:

at the 21:48 mark you'll see the SBC being loaded onto a Wellington.

Jari

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SBC were brought back for re-use.

The original publication that listed Lancaster serials  'Lancaster: Story of a Famous Bomber ' has had several reprints in numerous other books.

Its not detailed to the point of every squadron code(s) or engine serial numbers but individual records for each Lancaster do exist from Air Ministry records held at KEW, Public Records Office.

Ian

• Thanks 1

What a great photo, not only showing the SBC's but also the Commer vehicle, Nissen hut and bomb shelter . . . . wonderful combination

Searchlight is interesting  . . . part of the 'Sandra' system  ? ?      :idea: