"I think I see a plane over there with my name on it." F-104G

"Hey, Ridley!" "Yeah?" "You got any Beeman's?" "I might have Mystic." "Well loan me some, would ya? I'll pay ya back later." "Fair enough!" "I think I see a plane over there with my name on it!"

The film was "The Right Stuff" back in 1983 and this was the cue for Chuck Yeagar's flight in the F-104 Starfighter which. for me, is still one of the most thrilling aviation sequences ever filmed. I started this kit three years ago and it depicts 63-13269, one of the two Lockheed F-104G Starfighters used in the film. It is unusual in being mainly covered in silver foil to try to give an accurate metallic effect. She measures 22 inches in length.

The kit is the old 1980 vintage Revell 1/32nd scale F-104G Starfighter, I think I got it on eBay for about £8! It is a very straightforward build, not too detailed, goes together fairly well. It does have raised panel lines which is perfect for 'foiling' and as you can see here I have been able to add different shaded panels especially at the 'hot' end of the plane.

IMGP2758size

Overall the foil went on well, I also used Humbrol 27001 metallic paint in a couple of areas, also a rattle can of Halfords Aluminium spray. The white wings upper surfaces were sprayed Halfords Appliance White.

IMGP2777size

The decals were a mix from the original kit, the spares box, and a few from a Victory decals set.

IMGP2767size

She first flew on 2nd March 1962 and became the 69th TFTS Commander's aircraft at Luke AFB in Arizona in 1980 wearing "Fighting 69th" tail art. She starred in the film "The Right Stuff" in 1982; the pilots were Lt Col Robert Patterson (USAF) and

Oberstleutnant Heinrich Thueringer (GAF); she was flown until end of operation at Luke AFB on March 16, 1983. She was struck off charge order July 19, 1983 and transferred to Taiwan (ROCAF) in 1983 coded "4383" under project "Ali Shan No.8" to 2 Wing. She was withdrawn from use August 6, 1996 and written off in 1st Depot at Pingtung AB, then scrapped.

IMGP2775size

And this is her in the sun. Have to say I am really pleased with this build and I want to dedicate it to Major Mike Vivian (USAF Retd) who helped train German pilots as an Instructor Pilot with the 58th Tactical Fighter Training Wing at Luke AFB in the early 80's.

As always all inaccuracies and mistakes are purely mine! Michael

IMGP2780size

• Like 40

What a tribute to Sam Shepard who has passed away in July that his role in the Right Stuff is still so fondly remembered. I agree that the scene involving this aircraft is highly memorable.

Also, this F-104 looks simply awesome..!

Jay

Very nice job of an iconic fighter. I actually built the Revell 1/32 model once but it was in one of those colourful anniversary schemes which I dislike. On a model it's just toylike. Your version is much better. 

I can see my DVD of The Right Stuff as I sit here and am tempted to put it on and see the real thing. 

Of course the movie is kind to Chuck, apparently in reality he 'didn't do a very good job' in the real NF104. He is quite the character, amazing to think he's still alive.

Edit didn't think that was a bad phrase. didn't do a very good job

But he frequently referred to what happened to the pooch.

Edited by noelh

Hello Base,

Monogram, always good. But, this one looks like a masterpiece.

Almost 40 years old and see what you did with it. My sincere compliments,

Orion / The Netherlands.