Mi-24 Hind? Ident help

Julien

Is this still a Hind D, or one of the later retirements? the whole Mi-24 Hind? seems a minefield and this has cooling filters for the exhaust I have not seen before.

01.jpg

Thx

Julien

This is Mi-24V from the exhibit dedicated to Afghanistan war at the premises of the military museum in Kiev.

This particular aircraft is a fairly early machine of the V version. 

The filters are a fairly standard feature for Afghan War hinds and Mi-8s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BallsBuster said:

This is Mi-24V from the exhibit dedicated to Afghanistan war at the premises of the military museum in Kiev.

This particular aircraft is a fairly early machine of the V version. 

The filters are a fairly standard feature for Afghan War hinds and Mi-8s.

Thanks, going by what you said this is also a V?

d01.jpg

• Like 1

Yes that is a V, on display at Momino.  You notice the distinctive fuselage lean of the type well in those pics.

I think if you see the Russian designation MN-24B (reverse the N) that equates to a Mi-24V.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Julien said:

the whole Mi-24 designation thing is a mine field.

Not really, it is all very easy:

the Mi-24 “D” models still had the Falanga missiles on the wing tips (the short "cigars" with big wings on perforated metal rails) with its guidance head, under the operators (the one in the front) cockpit. It is the square-ish looking small dome painted camo colour on the left side (looking in direction of flight).

For the “V” the supersonic Sturm anti tank missiles in pairs on the wing tips (no rails) inside the cylindrical green containers. And the guidance antenna inside a perfectly round black coloured dome under the cockpit of the operator. It is bigger and round in comparison to the Falanga guidance dome.

Everything else like the dust filters (PZU) on the intakes, or the exhaust cooling mixer (EVU or later bigger EVU M), the Ispanka "disco-light" or the different versions of the ASO-2V jammer dispensers were used on all versions so they are not of importance in identifying the sub-type of the Mi-24.

Best regards

Gabor   

• Like 3

19 hours ago, 71chally said:

Yes that is a V, on display at Momino.  You notice the distinctive fuselage lean of the type well in those pics.

I think if you see the Russian designation MN-24B (reverse the N) that equates to a Mi-24V.

Actually it's at Zhulyany. Kiev. I took the photo at Easter. :bleh::D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shar2 said:

Actually it's at Zhulyany. Kiev. I took the photo at Easter. :bleh::D

I think you are mistaken or your photos got mixed up. I have been to Zhul. many times and do not remember hills there at all. 

I have also been in the GPW museum and the display stand many times.... I do remember this exhibit and the very characteristic stone clad walls. (the other hint is the piece of an AFV next to the Hind) not many of those in Zhuliany right? Or may be they added those to Zhuliany in the past year, then I am sorry.

19 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I am off to the naughty step as it is blatantly obvious that it is Duxford.

The plaque in Ukrainian clearly excludes Monino as a contender... or Duxford for that matter.

What hills, what AFV? There's a Mil 4 to the left of the Hind. Since Zhulyany is the only place I've been to in Ukraine I cannot have got my photos mixed up. :D and you can see the buildings on the other side of the airport.

f01.jpg

You can see the V behind the A here.

If you're talking about the first picture, yes, that is the Museum of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in World War 2. Not known as the Great Patriotic War museum anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shar2 said:

If you're talking about the first picture, yes, that is the Museum of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in World War 2. Not known as the Great Patriotic War museum anymore.

Yes, I was referring to the very first picture, which started the discussion.

You can see the hill in the background and the AFV on the picture's right side.

I presume they renamed the museum lately, but the exhibition in front of it is still the Afghan War one.

37 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Oh no, what have I (inadvertently!) started, actually I blame Scimitar!

Cracking Hind pics by the way, Shar2.

I really need absolutely dead centre front on, and rear on pics for references, so your V shot fits the bill nicely.

Well I have sent all my photos to Julien for adding to the walkaround section, so keep your eyes peeled. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

actually I blame Scimitar!

Duxford/Weston-Super-Mare/Monino/Ukraine.Can't blame me. Closest I've come to the Ukraine is Presov or Kosice in Slovakia!

Next year though...

The early Hind that SHAR2 posted is a beauty.

Does anyone remember an Airfix Magazine article in which someone used a Puma as the base to make a Hind?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Does anyone remember an Airfix Magazine article in which someone used a Puma as the base to make a Hind?

Both cinematographic masterpieces Rambo 3 and Red Dawn featured Puma's dressed up as Hinds.

Cheers,

Andre