The Saxons are coming!

FredG

This will be a fairly long term project. It's using a couple of boxes of Hat 1806 Saxon Infantry which looks a little like this.

32716663581_40d5c1765d_b.jpg

I've made a start with Prince Xavier's Regiment who are all standing smartly to attention. The left arm had to be re-sculpted to give some definition between the musket and the jacket. Not the easiest of tasks. Scalpel and hot needle were used. They came out not too bad. Only about another 174 figures to go.

33091131066_7ae33efeb8_o.jpg

Edited by FredG
typo
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of poses of Grenadiers are on the table now. Eight figures of each pose so not a long job.

The figures are nicely moulded but it's so annoying that they've been sculpted with trousers when all references show that the Saxon infantry of this period wore gaiters. I've not re-sculpted the legs just painted the gaiters in, as with the fusiliers above. I think at this scale it's acceptable to do that for massed troops.

MXY4C2S1xdiVe1F35k2TIa7_o1migD6KX_Lgf0qV

bdmHYP3IY2fmIQInCC1Dn3W8DOF5uxhmkEskuY_r

No doubt that every one has spotted that they're Grenadiers of Prinz Frederick August Regiment 1806.

A little more colour on them now. Lots of detail painting still to add, pom-poms, braids etc.

iVUoOG2a6hQzYGlAts0GR1m7vXUQSLAK14KrtjDQ

EAxWf06uUfoP2Qi3TyW8T4oCI4zawMiYCU8Hg3pk

Please note that not one drop of white paint has been used on these :D

Almost there with this little group of Grenadiers. They're been well soiled with a full sepia wash and brought back to a campaign cleanliness (ie dirty). There's still not a drop of white paint on them.

NwGaor1LxZ-Ri5NBns-0g6FeIQ4cSfl4PfLKXR7V

hknxsvQCpCnvuMAvgMHgs9xJKMz3ycZa6697Mirj

I still have buttons and bases to paint

I swear a friend of mine posed for that bottom left figure :smirk:

11 hours ago, FredG said:

Almost there with this little group of Grenadiers. They're been well soiled with a full sepia wash and brought back to a campaign cleanliness (ie dirty). There's still not a drop of white paint on them.

NwGaor1LxZ-Ri5NBns-0g6FeIQ4cSfl4PfLKXR7V

hknxsvQCpCnvuMAvgMHgs9xJKMz3ycZa6697Mirj

I still have buttons and bases to paint

I swear a friend of mine posed for that bottom left figure :smirk:

If so he must have a twin brother on the right??:P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a bit of an extended painting break due to being 'up north', I'm back in business. The firing line is primed and ready to start.

dt13KXEHD9YiS-UNrRmVKDHvhey6QfldR-Q7-srO

_13N5uCX-ZyPX1Y73H2SpKp6SPx4uxgK-nsHOea4

Edited by FredG
  • Like 1

Painting is progressing on this firing line. I has been extended a little, that's both the painting and the firing line due to the addition of the figures loading their muskets.

it's been decided that they will represent two regiments, von Sanger and von Niesemeuschel.

NpV01Y3OKexkhAXraCg_LiodFUvNYR0zp5_E8jP5

Hrf441ZvoTy_vF7vNLaT57zCz6TXxnZ9dPkppeud

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Oh man, these are so small. Ans so many of them. I would totally go for the dipping method with these if I ever had to paint them.

That would completely defeat the object of the hobby :rage:

I do a lot of research on the uniforms. My aim is to get as much detail of the particular uniform onto a 1.72nd/ 20mm figureas practical.( I've seen 1.72nd figures with dirty fingernails) To then dip the figure ( even if dipping is done with a brush :huh:) and obscure some of the tiny detail which I've painstakingly applied, with a "coloured varnish" is a no no. I'll stick to 'thin' washes and inks. 

For wargamers when the detail is not a priority and it's just to get a little bit of detail on a base colour fine.

I see. So I guess it is a question of style and intention. Without any offence - to me miniatures without shadows and highlights look like toys, no matter how much detail there is. This way of painting is something I realize quite often around here, but usually I don't care to comment. Thanks to your last post I finally kind of understand what's going on - the painting is mainly about historical accurate representation.

Maybe I am too far into the larger fantasy and scifi stuff where endless hours are put into a single miniature to get it to a believable and lifelike look and where smooth colour transitions are the main goal. I totally understand this is not reasonable with the huge masses of small miniatures you paint. I do know since I also paint a lot of gaming miniatures where speed kind of counts to get them to the table while the game is still new. Since I wouldn't skip shadows and highlights on my miniatures dipping is the way to go. This kills the toy look like nothing else with next to no effort and also protects the miniatures while being handled which is a huge plus in my book. If this works against your intentions, my advice is of course nonsense.

No offence taken as my finished figures have shading and highlighting applied. It's  just that often it doesn't show as much in a photo  as in reality due to the lighting bleaching it out.

Now here's an update, note that there is, as yet, no shading or highlighting applied, the uniforms are far too clean and white.

N5-VoEH1ZIpcLUGoAcEt_rs61df77Lj_hkqPHsJr

4GHajffI6CmbyA6UgTAhzrHSkV-LU7cD0w2WYqil

Most of the detail is now done so they're ready to be made filthy then brought back a bit :D. Regimental colours on the pom-poms are still to be applied and of course buttons.

iFm3aR8PJbpt9o7nbLF4pWPzHQ3gloySJObBVUx0

1qAFhzPxpmpFRbjJ0PNxjufh3yfKij6Cf8GqcavY

xtMru2o0B9IvlwYGIpmMAUOd1acKMsBn3RPzTHax

FIqCRwwQ6yDrKy9XHr5Yhq8sYZkXFk1oruaiW1sX

• 3 weeks later...