Napoleonic Uniforms (All)

FredG

This site has links to Napoleonic Uniforms of most of the combative nations.

Napoleon. His Army and Enemies

Note to Microsoft Edge users:- Each of the articles linked can be made into .pdf files using the free app, Print Friendly and PDF. Just put the name in Edge search and it'll take you to the store. It's very easy to use, even for us oldies. Chrome has the app too.

More goodies here, The Napoleon Series: Organisation, strategy and tactics

Edited by FredG
added link
  • Like 1

Thank you Fred.

A lot of very interesting information, except now I'm a bit confused. I am making a British Hussar, (Airfix kit), as at Waterloo. Up to now I had this guy as wearing a Shako and clean shaven, but the first link posted above suggests British Hussars wore Busby's and had a moustache - ?? Could there have been variations between Regiments? If so, maybe this explains differences in information?

PR

Peter,

British Hussars wore both Shako and Busby at Waterloo. It depends on the Regiment.

Considering the Hussars ( Light Dragoons) wore the most expensive uniforms, they changed them frequently. 

7b8d8de9365ca9e8d6bca3921014ef6a--britis

The research into who wore what and when is all part of the Napoleonic painter's fun. There's also the designation of Hussar and Light Dragoon.

Have fun deciding which to paint.

4d3963959b445f0550638550ec375bea--napole

Edited by FredG
Punctuation

I've marked in the Regiments on the Waterloo Hussars. 

3MCNfiEdk4FlSTYkPDXAcWV5bYff28s4kxv_3aC7

I'm playing with embedding from Google Photos so please bear with me.

10th Hussars

XhGciL13ilDJCrtNZW04Pfx2SpVtBLx1t8K96cR4

KhaUCealyOyDPa9RBESFq_Hj8WAB-kegIRWS5gut

Edited by FredG
New images added

Thank you Fred. I'm doing the 10th so looks like a shako. Appreciate the clarification.

The Airfix kit has spikes on the heel of the Hussars' boots, but I presume there should be a small round spur disc mounted on this?

PR

Spurs are not something I've paid a lot of attention to as my figures are 1/72 and 20mm. The Osprey illustrators do have a noticable spiked wheel fitted. 

EHyoy8OEc751fp4IxFQfbRWSMVXbHJYDenfRAeWa

dwiCdanMms3gUuZbRpZ207iPZqG6iNKYyl2bmOKm

eX9bbWLLEfRvWPBnXa8Qvt5g9LQNvlFvTN4cLu9o

Napoleonic Hussar Officer's spurs

s-l300.jpg

As worn by Prince Harry

v2?webp=true&v=0&sig=718c72ddadc0ed9f97c

Hope this helps

12 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Thank you Fred. I'm doing the 10th so looks like a shako. Appreciate the clarification.

The Airfix kit has spikes on the heel of the Hussars' boots, but I presume there should be a small round spur disc mounted on this?

PR

Not  necessarily; the pointed bar spur [p.r.i.c.k. spur] was far more common. Rowel spurs were more expensive and used mostly by officers who could afford them

As said, Hussar uniforms developed quickly and changed often.  Colonels often working to out do other Colonels.  Pay very careful attention to dates of illustrations.  Not so much a Waterloo as it was only a few days of a Campaign but in the Peninsula you also need to take account of what equipment was used on campaign.  Frequently the Pelise was left in the depot and only the Dolman worn..