Beriev BE-4 Russian puddle jumper *FINISHED*

Apologies the the unseemly lack of progress. I have had multiple goes of filling the gaps in the wings and it's nearly there.

Photos of progress this week I promise.

So much for the quick build, "I'll have it done in a week e sez ! " :rage:

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Hi Rob

I think we must have been really bad in a previous life, but surely we couldn't all have been Vlad the Impaler !

Thankfully we get lots of encouragement / Kicks up the bottom from fellow builders on here to make us keep going  :kissing2: :fight:

cheers Pat

• Haha 3

I couldn't visit the site of your suffering Pat without sending some positive vibes your way.

That looks a manly wrestle you're having there with that creature of the deeps: quite astonishing what the Gulf Stream washes up onto the Scottish shoreline these days!

The very best of luck with this recalcitrant Beastie!

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

Don't give up. I know how filling gaps and seams can be irritating, as they tend to give a fight. It's also the modelling task I dislike the most. But in the end, all effort put into making seams and gaps disappear pays off.

Cheers

Jaime

• 1 month later...

Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes !

Working away from home for the next couple of days so an opportunity to continue with the Be-4.

IMG_3651

This is as far as I had got, lots of wing filler, sanding refilling, repeat.....

IMG_3652

First coat of H30 applied the lighter lines on the top of the wing is the filler showing through, so a second coat will be required.

IMG_3654

The underwing floats have no locating holes, so this is a first fit, once the glue is dry I will see how they look, but they don't feel very sturdy.

IMG_3653

The clear parts are shocking but as I don't have anything else to use, they will be dipped in Klear when I get home which might them at least a bit more see through !

This is where I'm staying so, not too much to distract me from the Be-4 !

20171106_165838

cheers Pat

• Like 6

Plenty of distractions up there Pat, the light is gob smackingly subtle and... soft. And some of the landscapes are mindbending.

But maybe you're not a photographer. :)

Your wee Beriev is looking rather yummy - keep on keeping on and get 'er done!

• Like 1

Good to see that something is happening, and on a very interesting and unusual subject too.

Funny how when I was last where you are at present, the light was a little different ..... we could barely see the signpost for the fog/low cloud. As they say in your parts, you go up a mountain to view the mist and miss the view!

P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Long forgotten, but determined to get finished.

This week saw me flying to the Western Isles due to Storm Caroline. So when not restoring the power a chance to catch up on the Be-4 taken there in a Tupperware box inside my kit bag ! 

The canopies are not the greatest with little if any signs of framing to follow for masking, pics below;

IMG_3680

IMG_3681

There were then Clearfixed into position 

IMG_3682

IMG_3689

The observant of you will notice a wing float missing which didn't survive the journey, but was fortunately captured in the box ;)

So repairs, Decals and done !

• Like 3

Stand by your beds, he's only gone and finished one !

IMG_3695

Despite a bit of a struggle with the decals I'm declaring this one finished :phew:

IMG_3693

IMG_3694

IMG_3692

Thank you for all the support, so much for the quick build !

Still got the MC72, Rose's Arado 196 and the long stalled Perth to do plus.... a cheeky Matchbox MG TC in the Matchbox GB !

cheers Pat

:cheers:

• Like 5

Well Done Pat

The traveling 'Puddle Jumper' looks good - but it is a funny old thing isn't it, not I'd suggest one of Mr Berievs more elegant designs with that thumping great radial above the cockpit.  Reminds me a little of the Fairchild F91 of 5 years previous, although the F91 was a civilian craft and slightly svelter.

Great to see it complete - onwards with the next one(s)!

Take Care

Andrew

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SeaPlane said:

Well Done Pat

The traveling 'Puddle Jumper' looks good - but it is a funny old thing isn't it, not I'd suggest one of Mr Berievs more elegant designs with that thumping great radial above the cockpit.  Reminds me a little of the Fairchild F91 of 5 years previous, although the F91 was a civilian craft and slightly svelter.

Great to see it complete - onwards with the next one(s)!

Take Care

Andrew

Thanks Andrew

Interestingly enough when I went to fit the prop on the front of "the thumping great radial" I found it fouls on the front of the fuselage !

The original aircraft would have been rather uncomfortable and challenging to fly it that had beeen true for the actual aircraft !

Next job the MC72 and young Rose's Arado 196. I'm afraid the Perth is looking like missing out on this GB.

cheers Pat

On 09/12/2017 at 10:35 PM, jrlx said:

Congratulations, Pat! :clap2:It's a very interesting aircraft very well done!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks very much Jaime

Your encouragement of us all throughout this GB has been a major part of its success so far, keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job on the Be-4, Pat! It's always great to see some Soviet GPW types, especially a rather obscure one like this. I never thought about the resemblance to the Fairchild 91, but it is there. I've always thought of the Be-4 being a bit like a monoplane Sea Otter. I used to have this kit many, many moons ago, but I suspect it got lost in my great migration from Houston, Texas. I just might need to get another one, though.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 1