This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Panzer Vor!!!

Star Wars Films

Hi

Can anyone tell me in what order the films are supposed to be watched ?

Or at least how they all fit in with one and other 

Thanks 

A can of worms opened you have. Officially the order (so far) is:

Episode I The Phantom Menace
Episode II Attack of the Clones
Episode III Revenge of the Sith
(Han Solo film currently in production)
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Episode IV A New Hope (the Original Star Wars)
Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
Episode VI Return of the Jedi
Episode VII The Force Awakens
Episode VIII The Last Jedi
Episode IX - TBA

Plus there are the animated TV shows, holiday specials, lets not go there.

However the best viewing order is much debated. Personally I'd go for Rogue One, IV, V, II, III, VI, VII, VIII. Don't bother with 1, the only plot point you miss is the giveaway of the surprise at the end of V.

Thank you 

Tbh the Rogue one looks quite good but I couldn't work out how it fitted with her finding Luke on that island (don,t know what film that was )

Rogue is the best of the Lot IMO but takes place 25 (or so) years previously - you need to see at least IV, V and VI in between for that last scene to make sense.

For true Star Wars nerds, this site has the full sequence debate, plus the original films v the re-edited special editions. Contains (many) spoilers (seriously, have you never seen Star Wars??)

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

Yeah John pretty much got you covered. As far as the last scene goes, if you watch R1 first it's just foreshadowing, instead of fan service. I watched Gundam 0083 way before I watched Zeta.  I didn't feel as if the experience was ruined,  I just had an different  run order than most.

52 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Thank you 

Tbh the Rogue one looks quite good but I couldn't work out how it fitted with her finding Luke on that island (don,t know what film that was )

Your getting the order completely wrong.  R1 takes place 4 movies before that scene. 

IMHO don't expect alot. Just shut your brain off and enjoy the ride. It is at it essence a children's film.

No can of worms really, if you're asking chronologically then as per the first reply.
If you're asking which you can happily avoid, episode 1 and 2, third only passable because of the lightsaber battle between Obi Wan and Anakin.

Rogue one directly precedes episode IV where Leia and crew get sucked up into the big pointy space cruiser and is worth it solely for the badass Darth scene as they're getting the death star schematics to the rebel alliance.

I've  seen all the Star wars films .the original ones , the terrible 1 111 111 and the  The Force awakens but not Rogue One 

I didn't rate 1  11 111 (rubbish )

Not keen on The force awakens  which to me was a rerun of  A new Hope (poor acting poor sets )

So was need to see Rogue one  then the Last Jedi 

Thanks

Rogue one is very good, a much darker overall atmosphere, no characters you know well aside from brief Vader, Leia (CG) and Tarkin, (CG).
Well worth the watch, if possible on a big screen, if you can't view it in a cinema Blu-ray and the biggest screen imaginable, I happened to be treated to it at a friends on his 50" TV as living in the middle of nowhere a cinema trip is something you have to plan in advance and I didn't get to see it on the big big screen.
However, as above, Rogue one ends IMMEDIATELY prior to A new hope starting.

Skip the :poop:ones and watch the good ones repeatedly until the order doesn't matter any more :)

All in the original chronological order from episode 1 (Darth Maul lightsaber scenes are THE best!) to episode iv. Add Rogue 1 in before a new hope and pretend the current drivel never existed.

OR conversly, watch all the ones you like and :ignore: the  rest! :clap:

One of the most interesting orders to watch is called the Machete Order which was originally proposed before Rogue One so its can be tricky to know where to slot that one in.

This order is:

IV A New Hope (aka Star Wars)

V Empire Strikes Back

II Attack of the Clones

III Revenge of the Sith

VI Return of the Jedi

VII The Force Awakens

This treats ep II and III as extended flashbacks after the reveal at the end of Empire...

It also eliminates the most cringe-worth movie in the whole lot, ie Phantom Menace. This is justified in that the movie does not really add anything to the overall story arc and eliminates some MAJOR problems ('Midichlorians', creepy age differences between Padme and Anakin, JJ Binks). Then if you do some nifty self-editing by fast-forwarding through all the scenes with Padme and Anakin in Ep II and III you will save yourself the excruciatingly bad dialogue and acting!

Now the problem with Rogue One is it logically fits in as the first in this series, but it relies upon to many references to A New Hope to work well. Personally I'd put it after A New Hope and before Empire and treat that as a flashback for the start of A New Hope.

Of course Ep VIII comes at the end thus far and the next problem will be where the Han Solo movie fits in...

All clear?

Edited by Kallisti

Of course then there are the original theatrical releases and the directors cuts with added CGI.

I would recommend the originals if you can get them.