Westland Wessex HAS3 returns

perdu

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Aerodynamics are aerodynamics, whether it be the offset engine nacelle on a Walrus...

In all the years that I have been casually interested in the old Walrus, it was only on a visit to FAAM last week that I noticed that the engine nacelle is indeed angled off centre!

36941575465_c9b352114b_z.jpgSupermarine Walrus L2301 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Talking of Flickr and Wessex, a good friend of mine (Chris England) regularly uploads his old slides, here's his latest

Westland Wessex HAS3 XS862/AN-406 Yeovilton 22-6-77Westland Wessex HU5 formation Yeovilton 3-9-77

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just how turned wonderful that one of his pictures is my own HAS3 huh?

Its great to have a nice colour shot of 406, thanks James

Must add that that 406 isn't mine which is XP150, this is a replacement aircraft I suppose

XS862 is this beauty but most of the detail detailing is the same. 

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

In all the years that I have been casually interested in the old Walrus, it was only on a visit to FAAM last week that I noticed that the engine nacelle is indeed angled off centre!

To think that there was once a time when I wouldn't have been interested in that observation James.:lol: 

That's a character-full image of the old wallower BTW. Nice one!

Tony

• Haha 1

A bit more done here

The weapons pylon I built was based on guess work, (I have very few useful pictures of the HAS3s pylon attachments, even fewer ofthe bracing stay locations but we do what we  do) and was not long enough to let any stores hang away from the fuselage

So I cut it off

P1011923.jpg

The tank has been painted and the 'Phenolic Materials' stickers applied, the tank was painted with my Sovereign Hobbies RAFBG which has started the ma and pa of all rows with She over the smell

So to keep the smellies away I mixed up some RAFBG-alikes from Vallejo paints which seem close enoough

I used some to patch the seams on the two piece tank, doesnt look too awful to me

Dollop of Blue, tiddle of black and a further tiddle of Light Grey and the obligatory wibble of German Camouflage Green (colour numbers available if you need them) and its OK

This is the Cleared Colourcoats BG

P1011921.jpg

I think I'll sand that back a tad with micromesh, its a bit less smooth

P1011923.jpg

Butchered pylon here

repaired one here awaiting a paint job this afternoon

P1010002.jpg

I have the pylon cover ready to apply once I find the bracing points for the fore attachments so I will picture that when its ready to go on

P1010001.jpg

looks OK on the side there now to me

laters, I'm off to  check my models before they get on the club stand at the Sutton Coldfield Show tomorrow next

• Like 11

Yes James hundreds of times

It took you to show it before I noticed the 'from ahead' views down the side of the page

Doh. :(

Anyway that's about where we are now, awaiting paint but still without a clue as to the forestays it must surely need

:)

• Like 1

Short update, I hope this will be done by Sunday for the club comp table

It certainly will be on our table at Telford  anyway

So far

P1010004.jpg

Tail rotor not ready yet, but High Voltage aerial warnings and exhaust warning signs on

And (not as visible as I hoped but...) the rotor head has some detailing

We knew about the droop stops but I have also added the damper pistons and the head lubrication pipes

Antennae to come and aerial wires for the long wave stuff

cabin roof concertina blinds, OAT and wipers

swing arm steps to come too

and air bottles for the flot gear, I changed my mind, white flotation canisters coming too

Rotor head will have actuating levers from under the roof

Will not be awfully accyrate, I am not taking the turtle back off again but there will be a simulacrum of a swash plate thingy

P1010005.jpg

Another attempt at home brew RAFBG  new bottle Vallejo Blue 70.925  about thirty percent Extracrylix Ex Dk Sea Grey XA1004 and a dash Vallejo German Cam Dk Green 70.979

Not perfect yet but I have hopes for a later mix, this may only need shining up with a dash of Clear

Also needs the Pingery bean can thingy underneath

and other little stuff but I'd say on schedule for Sunday

Oh yes pleased to add, the Hansom Cab picked up a first in class at the Sutton Coldfield show

Chuffed is today's colour  :thumbsup:

• Like 15

On 07/09/2017 at 2:49 PM, 71chally said:

(Chris England) regularly uploads his old slides, here's his latest

Lovely photograph..thanks for posting it.

What are the protrusions fore and aft of  the tail wheel? I've never noticed them on the Wessex before.

I amguessing it is some kind of ground handling assembly

I saw it a few weeks ago on another Walter, never got to thinking it through

These are the times I wish I 'did' pprune, somebody there is bound to have the missing clue

😞

And as if by magic and by dint of possession of a file with a drawing

This appears

102croppped.jpg

I wish I had the legend for the drawing though, its always good to know which part is the left handed hackle bearer slide wherry isnt it?

Today has been a wrestling with Zip kicker, Roket max and grey nylon thread day

And commencement of the swashplate dooberrie from an old Airfix Navy Lynx wheel, no less

Yesterday I made the concertina sunshield for the cockpit roof panels

Pictures of  these endeavours laters, but first I have to open holes in the engine cover for the front scissor links to sit in

• Like 4

hmm, that looks like that if you lifted the aft bar it would push away the pad ahead of the tailwheel.  Wonder if it was an integral chock type thing for when they operated from frigates etc?

Or it is a sliding hackle bearer for the fricket gurst.

• Like 2

But, back to the day job huh

I used the thinnest paper I could find to lay some Vallejo 70974 Green Sky on and cut it in a strip wide enough for the roof windows(ish)

Happened to be a receipt from Poundland  I used a piece without printing on, when cut I took a ten inch half round... well you know the rest, and using the diagonal unseconded cuts I scored lines to represent the folded strips of sun shield  (files have two sets of opposite cuts to enable filing in right or left handed mode although they generally cut easier for 'righties')

This strip was cut into two pieces for inside the roof

Twenty or thirty years ago I'd have rigged up the wires the shields hang from but that is out of my league nowadays so I just stuck the concertinaed paper up in the roof

I think only YOU will know, should be OK  ;)

P1010008.jpg

The creases show on the piece of spare paper shown here 

This evening I have been adding some of the seventy trillion little white and yellow transfers on the Modeldecal sheet

Some I say, some

The instructions do not state which ones serve for which of the choices on the sheet so I am doing it judiciously

I judge which ones to use :)

P1010017.jpg

This and

P1010018.jpg

are about all I feel like sticking on

I did add one piece of my generic 'Black spaces behind metal mesh' decalcomanie to the tail pylon

I might consider talking off the original upper one and adding more of this type, looks better doesnt it

P1010020.jpg

Won't take long to take care of that minor glitch-up

Does the rotor head stuff I put in show in this shot?

P1010022.jpg

Ye e e e s you can see the oil pipes and the bodies of the dampers so I will call that a win, I am building the swash plate assembly with three links to go in and adding tail rotor details including the compensator type things at the back of the rotor gear

Also been casting wheels for the Gannet and the Buccaneer and the casting at the Bucc's tail that pushes and pulls the airbrake

I will get them out of the mould tomorrow

OK that is it for tonight, ciao

• Like 11

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I might consider talking off the original upper one and adding more of this type, looks better doesnt it

it does indeed Bill.

Very nice work as always.  It's certainly come a long way over the last week or two

• Like 1

9 hours ago, perdu said:

I did add one piece of my generic 'Black spaces behind metal mesh' decalcomanie to the tail pylon

Yes :D

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Does the rotor head stuff I put in show in this shot?

Yes :clap2:

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Ye e e e s you can see the oil pipes and the bodies of the dampers so I will call that a win, I am building the swash plate assembly with three links to go in and adding tail rotor details including the compensator type things at the back of the rotor gear

Lots of modelling needed with these rotary wing craft.

Makes for jolly enjoyable and impressive Bill threads tho' so mustn't grumble.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cracking work as usual Perdu, still struggle to comprehend that is 72nd!

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A second look begs a rethink.

The part 39 is where your towing/steering arm would fit.

So what the part 8 & 22 are for I have no idea.

Something must fit onto the part 8 though.

Or else why have those holes?

39 looks a bit weezy for a towing attachment to my eyes, wouldn't the normal axle towing attachment work through the cutouts in the main parts?

I wonder if 22/8 are some form of hold down point for deck ops? Or maybe even kick bars for setting the brake?

• Thanks 1

Cheers chaps, thanks for that

Now the important bit, that diagram

Its obvious to me that you must use the normal axle tow points to get proper, undamaged tail wheel operation so I looked again and from what I'm seeing attaching the tow bar will push part 39 down and release the deck locking device/brake pad to enable towing

Huh?

😀

Today some of us has got to make that pesky weird shaped hoist lamp

I wish I'd made a dozen years ago

Also need to paint and fit Napier Gazelle jet pipes, hoist, pinger and assorted antennae

Whatcha think? 

Wipers? 

And cockpit opener handles when touching in yellow upper works, which incidentally are called 'canopy' in an AP I've seen

The canopy includes all the gearbox and rotor gear covers, I suppose it makes sense...

😱

Android text handling stinks

Really stinks😟

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4