Airfix 1/48 English Electric Lightning F3 - XP696

I had a bit of a bad time with this one - I made many mistakes during the build. Overall I think I saved it reasonably well, but believe me I have done my best to hide the faults in the pictures. But that's reasonable - I always try to show off my models in the best way I can. In any case, here you go. Airfix 1/48 F3, with Model Alliance decals. Cockpit set by true details, which I did a horrible job on, so I closed the canopy. :D

IMG_4752%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

IMG_4757%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

IMG_4762%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

IMG_4764%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

IMG_4765%20%28Large%29-XL.jpg

Edited by propforward
  • Like 59

2 minutes ago, redcap said:

Very nice job and that's a refreshing choice and change of markings rather than the 'usual suspects' for BAC Lightning squadrons !

Gary

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Pete

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

I've never seen that scheme before.  I really love the white tail. This scheme available in 1/72?

There is for sure a modeldecal set (I think it's set 78) that has decals for this scheme in 1/72 (obviously out of production now, but you can still find that set fairly readily). I can't remember if anyone else has replicated it, but I'll check.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely build. I’m contemplating one of these for my next build. Hmmmmm  you’re tempting me. :lol:

Really Spad ??

I will finish mine quickly so !!:rofl:

If not, seeing you doing one, I will restart mine ...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Hello Prop !

Very good Lightning, The white tail suit her well !

You did great !

I used the Aires interior for my F6

Which is almost done, and luckily will not be NMF.

what did you used for your NMF ? Alclad ?

I really like the way you finished and weathered the thunderous Lady.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely build. I’m contemplating one of these for my next build. Hmmmmm  you’re tempting me. :lol:

I recommend it. There are a few fit issues - it's a late 90s tool after all, not quite up to todays most recent offerings, but the fit issues are not terrible and easily overcome, and nevertheless the Airfix kit is hands down the best Lightning kit around. If you do an F1A/F2/F3 version, pay attention to the cable ducts, because they are in the wrong place. It's an easy fix though, all you have to do is move them towards the stern a bit. The build thread for this model has the details. Good luck - look forward to seeing your build.

• Like 3

Just now, propforward said:

I recommend it. There are a few fit issues - it's a late 90s tool after all, not quite up to todays most recent offerings, but the fit issues are not terrible and easily overcome, and nevertheless the Airfix kit is hands down the best Lightning kit around. If you do an F1A/F2/F3 version, pay attention to the cable ducts, because they are in the wrong place. It's an easy fix though, all you have to do is move them towards the stern a bit. The build thread for this model has the details. Good luck - look forward to seeing your build.

Thanks. I’ll give it a shifty. Thanks for the advice. :lol:

john

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Prop !

Very good Lightning, The white tail suit her well !

You did great !

I used the Aires interior for my F6

Which is almost done, and luckily will not be NMF.

what did you used for your NMF ? Alclad ?

I really like the way you finished and weathered the thunderous Lady.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thank you! I very much appreciate your comments. Aires make great cockpit sets - I have one for a subsequent build.

I did indeed use Alclad II metal finishes. I didn't quite get the look I wanted, but overall not too bad. I was very happy with the white on spine and fin, with a little shading for interest. I look forward to seeing your finished build!

• Thanks 1

Superb looking Lightning must get around to getting one of these 😁

Guy

Lovely build. It was a bad move for me to click on your post!

You see, every time I see a really good build in a great scheme, I just have to get another Lightning and build my own example. Looks like I'm headed for the LMS again !!

Seriously though, even though you had some issues (they don't show) ..... (well, apart from the cable ducts :huh: Which I wasn't aware of either) this is a great looking Lightning and a superb rendition of the sqn colour scheme.

Atb, Steve.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1