Devoitine D-520 overall sand

beppe

Hi folks,

I am looking for informations over a devoitine D-520 based in Rayak lebanon, I think it was Jean Tulasne's one.

According a old carpena sheet, it was painted sand overall

Does someone have some informations about ?

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

There is a photograph here, first column, second row - is that the one? Hard to say what exactly the colour scheme is, but it does appear to be the same on all the uppersurfaces that are visible...

Edit - another picture here, if you are able to access Pinterest.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dang it now i want to do one of these 😐... anyone know if theres a decent one in 1/72 ?

Decent = looks good. And is reasonably accurate ?

You had but to ask! Hasegawa, Hobbyboss, and RS Models all did D520's in 1/72, with the RS Models kit considered to be the best in scale with the Hasegawa kit a close second. The Hobbyboss kit is one of their snap-fit kits, and although simplified, can be made into a decent model, but by the time you spend the money for the cockpit, decals, and etched detailing set, you could have either of the other two and not have to do all the work involved in opening up the cockpit and wheel bays. See the links below. Heller and Frog also did a D520, and they were decent, but the Hasegawa and RS Models kits are much better. Hope this helps!

Mike

http://www.hyperscale.com/2011/reviews/kits/rs92097reviewmd_1.htm

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/allies/previews/has/51348p.htm

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/fr/bakerd520.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

you may say so fernando.

I saw an overall light bleue and a profile with chamois upper and bare metal lower.

My preference goes to overall chamois.

The chamois color is very light. On the pic the contrast with the white of roundel is too high for to be chamois color. In grey scale, chamois and white are near.

Chamois paint(catégorie M-2) was used only to coated interior surfaces not exposed to corrosion agents. The camouflage color paints for exterior surface were M-1 category.

For these reasons, i think  this D520 was not in chamois color

• Like 1

I`d alway thought that it was a light blue/grey colour,....but French aviation is not one of my strong points,.....never really considered overall sand!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

An old carpena set gave humbrol 84 as color which is midstone , but it could indeed have been painted light bleue

Edited by beppe
  • Like 1

I know that photo is better then drawing, howevr it is nice if someone else takes responsabiity for interpretation of photo. 

I found two profies of sand painted Dewoitine 520:

dew DSC06507

As far as I can undertand somthing from decent Molier language it looks that No 302 was for some time allover alu, whereas here it has bue-gray bottom whereas No 397 is overa sand.

Profies come from this booklet:

dew DSC06508

Cheers

J-W

Well the D-520 wasn't a liaison aircraft as far as I know. I read it or they were used for training. I do think they were left over from the Syrian campaign of 41. What puzzle me is why they took the time to repaint it ? 

1 hour ago, BS_w said:

may be entirely aluminium dope finish as all french liaison aircrafts of this period?

on right, comparison between one color pic and b& w conversion

d520_a10.jpg

Is this a two seat D-520 I see on the pictures ?

If you are refering to the pictures taken at Rayak, it was before november 1942.

I mean summer or fall '42 as cne Litolff appears on it. he went to fight in Russia with the G.C.3 normandie in november '42 and was killed in action during the Kursk offensive in '43.