Savoia Marchetti S.55X 1:72 Delta 2

This was a great year for GBs with lots of interesting topics (which I all missed due to other projects - mainly my motorcycle which took longer than expected with TÜV -our MOT- still pending) but this one is the topic I awaited most. My build will be the Savoia Marchetti S.55 in 1:72 scale by Delta 2 which is long out of production. I managed to find this kit after years of searching on evil bay and was lucky enough that it contains a photo etch update set as well. Pics will follow asap.

Here is a pic of the box:

BM

René

• Like 8

Hi René,

Welcome to the GB! That's a really unusual design you have chosen, looking forward to seeing it taking shape!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

This is an interesting aircraft René. I have the Delta 2 kit and etch set too. I read some reviews and it needs a little filler, but looks great once built :)

Falcon do a replacement canopy for it in one of their sets, it's very nice.

In the title it says:'Savoia Macci' (sic) but the real aircraft name is:

'Savoia Marchetti'.

Good luck for a fun build on a great aircraft subject :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

Tony - I was so exited that the GB already started I mixed the company up - now sorted :-)

Pat the bike I work on is a Yamaha XJR 1300. A great chance to hijack my own thread! I bought it new back in 2000 and always changed minor components but was never happy with the look. For all my life I loved Cafe Racers and now that these became hip there are more options available to customize your bike and keep it street legal. So I change to clip ons shortend the frame, build a new tail skirt and seat pan from aluminum, changed the whole switches and stuff at the handle bar and build a new wireing loom and so on. It is not a bing-bling bike as this was my daily ride for many years (my only other ride in 2000 was my Moggie which I still own and which is crying for attention now) so has lots of patina - some of it will be cleaned up when I got the MOT done but I will keep it used. If interested I can post pics next time.

Back to the SM.55 X - I added a pic of the box in the first post here is what is inside the box:

BMBM

BM

I started to glue some parts together just to give it a go. I have a TÜV (MOT) date with my above mentioned bike tomorrow so had some other stuff to get done first :-)

BM

BM

It looks as if there is quite some filling work to do and I suppose rescribing is also showing but the main thing will be the masking of the "swooshes" (?). Anyway - I really look ahead to this build :-D

René

• Like 7

That's a very nice bike :D.

A very good friend of mine had a 1971 Kawasaki triple cafe racer.

Complete suicide machine. He returned it to stock (it took 12 years). I'm torn; I think maybe I liked it more as a cafe racer; it was very 'honest'.

I didn't have that kind of bike; for me a Yamaha DT 125 then Suzuki ER 185. 

Dad had a Velocette Thruxton Clubman (500cc single pot fishtail). That was lovely.

Great start on the Savoia :thumbsup2: .

There is a bit of filler involved in this kit. I think a good thing to trial fit is Wings to root. It can end up with a step; but maybe with a different build sequence :hmmm: 

A fleet of these flew Italy to USA. Italo Balbo; 1933 Very advanced and impressive. This film clip could be useful from around 4.25 onwards :)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I was also declaring doing the same model but it does no make too much sense. So I will start something wlse, but I will watch your build with interest! :)

The model is SM 55X, and on photo given by Tony it is SM 55A I think. There are big differencies between variants!

Cheers

J-W  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Jerzy

Now don't be a tease, what are you going to build instead ?

BV138, BV139, Do26 or How about the Lublin R-VII OR R-XII ?

cheers Pat

Pat, thanks :)

Do 26 I did last year. BV 138 and Lublin R-VIII  I have but I am not ready with them. BV 139 I do not have. R-XIII I did many years ago not as hydro (and not posted yet on RFI - needs small refreshing). 

But I am thinking on Norwegian Hoover MF 11 or Finnish Blackburn Ripon, both by Broplan  (vacu)

Other options: Coronado or Mariner  by Mach 2. I stash I have some 20 hydroplanes/flying boats but I am not ready to do majority of them. 

I can start not earlier than on Saturday, so still some time for thinking...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

Very interesting aircraft there, Pat. I'm surprised that it was able to fly at all, let alone from Italy to the US and back! And not jost one, but 24 of 'em!

Love your Yamaha 1300 - lovely conversion. The only Yamaha that I had was the RD 250, which I sold before I killed myself on it. Also Suzuki TR 185 (nod to Mr Tiger) and two Honda CX 500s (very popular over here now or café racer conversion, apparently). I ended up stripping down the first CX and rebuilding the motor: fun :). There were also a couple of othe Hondas and a 'Kwaka' (Kawasaki ;) 100 ag bike (latter was my first bike when I worked on a farm - funnily enough).

Looking forward to seeing you tame this recalcitrant beast of a kit!

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

This film clip could be useful

.. well done Tony, there's quite a few of those old Italian news reels of these special machines on their way around the Atlantic. I was just about to fetch a link but you've helped out first, thank you.

Fascinating aircraft, & looks like a good kit, will be great to watch this come together.

• Like 3

I have one of these kits in an un finished state. It was bought on a family holiday (must have been 45 years ago!) in France.

I remember it was the missing wing markings that made me put it aside, that and the amount of filler the hulls needed.

I'll keep an eye on your build. It may even encourage me to go into the loft to look for it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I finally closed up the floats:

S55X 07

The thick plastic leave much room for sanding but as you can guess the port hole tunnels cry for attention.

I started work on the motors which have very heavy sprue gates:

S55X 08

But dry fitting the parts show what is excess plastic and what is actual part. The PE set takes care for some details here so molded on detail had to go.

Finally I was curious about the wing fit - it does not look so bad afetr cleaning up the mating faces a little:

S55 X 09

I decided to rescribe the few lines and hatches, which should be a matter of minutes.

René

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Not much progress - just rescribing and thinning down the plasic at the portholes.

Did you use the raised detail as a guide for rescribing?

Yes - in lack for other information I just rescribed the raised detail. Pretty sure this is not correct but the pics I found show a surface similar to a Mosquito so maybe there should be no line at all. If I find better information I might correct what I have done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1