- SUKHOI Su 30MKM - 1/48

IPMS19

8 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:blink2: Gash!

That's what I'd call some major surgery on a kit, J.M. A ballsy modeller... ;)

Have you used a cutting wheel in the Dremel tool without having some sort of guides fixed on the kit to aid your cutting?

You ought to have the pulse of an experienced surgeon!

Nice cuts there, mon ami.

Awesome work so far.

Cheers,

Unc2

- I use a cutting wheel on my dremel as usual, following the structure lines withouit any guide after having surlined them with a permanent pencil. The plastic is not too thick so ithe cutting wheel doesn't heat that much the plastic doesn't melt and cut cleanly.

- As if there is not enough cuts I have the wonderful idea to modify the angle of the main gear wells wich should be at right anle from the lenght axis of the machine, so , I began to remove the plastic nose wheel wells which will be replaced  the equivalent AIRES resin part

MgXakV.jpg

-Then I remove the plastic main gear wells according to Aires instructions

- Seen from the other side

l1lscT.jpg

- One side removed now

XFHQ5f.jpg

- Both sides

jIN4gT.jpg

- The details under the upper surface wing have to be also sanded

5nGCt2.jpg

Oju0UF.jpg

- All of this with my dremel , it is not so difficult as it look, setting in place the Aires part promise to be another kind of game.......

• Like 3

That's my today task,: adapt one side Aires  main gear wells. The other side later

Adapting the resin part requires a few support work to keep it level

Jyfajb.jpg

- There is no great trouble with this step. I doesn't glue the external wing side to the resin, I'll do it at a later stage, that permit  to dry fit the parts easily for the numerous trials during the building process, but  the lower parts of the wing are glued to the  upper ones firstly not to give a temptation to the carpet gremlin and most of all to have a steady reference when installing the main wheels receptacle. and later the new apex

AipRax.jpg

- Setting this part in  place ask for a lot of thinning of the top wing as you cannot thin the resin part to such an extent that you can almost .see the light through ; Another surprise is the oversized of the cuts which happens when  following Aires instruction leaflet

Ai9PNg.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/9/2017 at 4:22 PM, IPMS19 said:

That's my today task,: adapt one side Aires  main gear wells. The other side later

Adapting the resin part requires a few support work to keep it level

Jyfajb.jpg

- There is no great trouble with this step. I doesn't glue the external wing side to the resin, I'll do it at a later stage, that permit  to dry fit the parts easily for the numerous trials during the building process, but  the lower parts of the wing are glued to the  upper ones firstly not to give a temptation to the carpet gremlin and most of all to have a steady reference when installing the main wheels receptacle. and later the new apex

AipRax.jpg

- Setting this part in  place ask for a lot of thinning of the top wing as you cannot thin the resin part to such an extent that you can almost .see the light through ; Another surprise is the oversized of the cuts which happens when  following Aires instruction leaflet

Ai9PNg.jpg

- Well , work is going on  around the wheel wells, with the nose gear well installed

iYLSqP.jpg

-As can be seen, the job is signifcant but not  not very difficult, it just ask for some adjustments with plastic strips and a few sanding, putty is not neccessary all in all, nothing to get scared with.

- The next big affair is around the bureau of  the crew which begin by painting the whole thing. Then the cockpit will be installed before gluing the big nose part

lKa28Z.jpg

avnLgm.jpg

tbqQrn.jpg

- I hope you find some interest in watching...

• Like 5

23 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello ipms19,

Courage ! Is this what is used to be named "La furia francese ??"

Very neat job on that big beast, will follow with interest !

Sincerely.

corsaircorp

- It could be called some kind of madness as well.......:D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hewy said:

Jm,the alterations continue to impress, slight over cut  on the wells but well recovered, very nice modelling, good show

Glynn

- I've followed the drawing of the Aires kit notice , instead I should have made my cuts using the transkit part dimensions, but the mistake is easy to fix and just a minimum care is to be taken as the blankings are hidden by the intakes parts once installed, I can  even says that the correction is not mandatory , but to be done just in case..

• Like 1

- Logical step, installing the cockpit in the top fuselage

LkdyDF.jpg

0dCR7G.jpg

- The photos are taken right from the work bench as can be seen with the surrouding sanding dust

UU2Dyx.jpg

-It fit easily, whch allows gluing the lower fuselage to the top, but a few putty is required in this step, I firs t contemplate using sopme evergreen to fill the gap , but owing tothe necessary sanding I rely on the good old putty

hXFkqA.jpg

The back of the rear seat has very few commonality with the real thing  as the canopy will be shown open as I usually do each time it's possible, I will take care of it in the next step. The photo has been taken before gluing the under fuselage and intakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Here  begins  the furnishing the space behind the rear seat , it will be completed more precisely at a later stage to avoid unwanted damages .

q61dNo.jpg

bidxYf.jpg

8xQjjE.jpg

the moment approaching to fit the front fuselage part approaching, to easy the handling , I ve drilled holes each side  to install the forward warning receivers

cIW2DG.jpg 

- The front fuselage part is glued after a lot of trial, the fitting is rather good it requires a few puttiy or some plastic stripes to be sanded once glued

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, exdraken said:

That looks rather promising!!

- Vielen Danke Werner

- Your support is a great help for me, without you I would feel somewhat lonely.......I'm a poor lonesome cowboy.......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, IPMS19 said:

- Vielen Danke Werner

- Your support is a great help for me, without you I would feel somewhat lonely.......I'm a poor lonesome cowboy.......ou are doing and that 

Lately activity here seems to have gone down a bit... at least my  personal feeling... :(

But this topic has already close to 2000 views, so you are not really lone :)

Maybe people are afraid of commenting :D

I really appreciate what you are doing and that you take the effort of a WIP...

It sure is going to help my future build!

Keep on posting your progress please, and also your thoughts of what and why!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Marlin said:

Fantastic work you're undertaking IMPS19. :goodjob: 

I'm "glued" to your thread, taking notes. :D 

I'd like to repeat your work some day for an Algerian Su-30 MKA.

/Bosse

- Many thanks Marlin, I keep going somewhat stubornly but it doesn't matter. 

- My process of working step by step make me discover troubles I didn't suspect at the begining of the work. Obviously modifying a two seater with a transkit taylored for a singler seater added to the usual imprecision of such transkit and those of the kit by itself lead to inevitable difficulties to cope with so it s mandatory to proceed slowly and logically. Gluing the nose part before the gloves is a good clue to install the gloves themselves and the necessary adapting work.

- I hope my building should be an useful help for your  MKA. J.M

• Like 1

- Here comes the time of the Truth ......

The resin apex needs to be thinned by the inside ,first to ease the fitting and second to reduce the weight applied to the nose wheel gear of the completed model

x8P0hR.jpg

- The best tool for this job is once again the dremel, don't forget to wear a dust mask, open wide your window and forbid the entrance of your working place during the operation to your cat or dog,  (apllied this eventually to your wife)......... they don't need breathing resin dust

eWDIpE.jpg

- More on next post.......

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Those are the important parts!

Yes!

If your process of removing resin i.proves fit, definitely worth it!

-It seems it works , these parts are the largest to be installed and the most important for the succes of the transformation which depends upon  the unavoidable  problems with such transformation being fixed  reasonnably well and most of all ,in the frame of what I'm able to do .

• Like 1

On 9/22/2017 at 3:33 PM, IPMS19 said:

I'm a poor lonesome cowboy.......

:analintruder: Cowboy did he say...??!! Oh, you're just a poor lonesome croissant! :rofl2:

J.M., howdy? Not alone in here, chap; not now that even mate Bosse has showed up, you see?

Mate, I'm also taking good note of all those daring cuts you've done on your kit because I'll be going the other way round soon.

I'm planing to cut the Kinetic 1/48 Su-33 upper fuselage half from the canard assembly forward in order to graft it onto the Hobby-BooBoo Su-27 kit - same scale. That I'm doing just to better the whole LERX area on the latter kit, perhaps substitute the shallow spine and awkward-looking shape of the forward fuselage around the cockpit area on that kit as well.

Crazy endeavour, I know, but that's how it'll go. Still getting all the tools needed for quite a task.

Your build is going fine so far. How's the missus?

Cheers, luv.

Unc2

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:analintruder: Cowboy did he say...??!! Oh, you're just a poor lonesome croissant! :rofl2:

J.M., howdy? Not alone in here, chap; not now that even mate Bosse has showed up, you see?

Mate, I'm also taking good note of all those daring cuts you've done on your kit because I'll be going the other way round soon.

I'm planing to cut the Kinetic 1/48 Su-33 upper fuselage half from the canard assembly forward in order to graft it onto the Hobby-BooBoo Su-27 kit - same scale. That I'm doing just to better the whole LERX area on the latter kit, perhaps substitute the shallow spine and awkward-looking shape of the forward fuselage around the cockpit area on that kit as well.

Crazy endeavour, I know, but that's how it'll go. Still getting all the tools needed for quite a task.

Your build is going fine so far. How's the missus?

Cheers, luv.

Unc2

- What may it happens to me without your support my dear Uncle, I really appreciate........Good luck for your new Sukhoi..