Plasto's M1 Sherman

Plasto

Hi,

Here is is my entry...

Sherman

Tamiya's recentish M1 'Super Sherman' in 1/35....

The kit is unstarted.

36846540202_f924bf367d_b.jpg

I don't normally build 1/35 armour but I had this in the stash for some reason or other and it meets the GB criteria as this variant of the Sherman was powered by a Wright Continental R-975 9 cylinder radial producing some 350-400 HP.

The M1 is basically a US M4A1 76(w) with a few Israeli tweaks. 

The kit is quite nice with new tooled bits for the hull and turret and older parts for the bogies and transmission cover...

I may build it OOB or add some AM bits.. 

Cheers

Plasto

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 2

So a quick look at eBay and I have bought a few extra bits for the M1..

First off a replacement barrel and muzzle break from Aber

36232738703_94cb7debe2.jpg

And some upgraded tracks. Kaizen make a workable set in plastic that look good..

36643747850_b275a90be9.jpg

I'm still thinking on replacing the road wheels the Tamiya ones date from the mid 80's and are hollow on the rear and the M1 at Latrun has the late VVSS dished style road wheels fitted which makes sense for a post war M4A1 76

I'll probably upgrade the barrel on the M2 and the hull .30

Im going to kick into the hull construction and turret later in the week..

Cheers 

Plasto

Thanks for the welcome...

I have been progressing and have the upper and lower hull well underway as well as the basic turret built..

The Tamiya kit uses a one piece transmission cover on a hull really designed for a 3 piece transmission cover... the result is some gaps which I filled with some plastic card...

37081057745_1b8dd20216_b.jpg

This tidies up this area and I have progressed to this point in a couple of hours...

36684634630_44ce3c841d_b.jpg

thanks for looking

Plasto

• Like 4

My Sherman build is progressing.

I decided to run with the kit roadwheels. Getting some replacements was complicated and expensive.. I need to sort the seams on the VVSS units and drill the unused return idler arm holes.

The turret needs a canvas cover adding to the mantlet as the Israeli's fitted those to the M1.

Hull is pretty much done...

36957195622_d66f4c1d45_b.jpg

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I had a couple of packages arrive during the week. 

The barrel and the Tracks.... The tracks are scaring the life out of me currently but I've finished most of the basic construction on the Sherman...

37206909306_37d3a85258_b.jpg

The barrel is a improvement over the kit parts...

On to the mantlet cover next..

Cheers

Plasto

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 3

Hi,

I have been working on the Mantlet cover. From what I read these were not common on WW2 M4A1 76's but post war they were more common. The Israeli Sherman's had them fitted which makes sense in sandy dusty conditions..

I found some online references and added the frame for the cover to the turret using some lead wire.

I also superglued the mantlet in a fixed place then added the canvas clips out of lead foil (wine bottle) finally adding the canvas out of Tamiya epoxy putty which I sculpted using the end of a paint brush...

36593996114_d2c46afbe7_b.jpg

Im not really an armour modeller so it's a bit crack handed..

let me me know what you think.

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 5

More work,

This time on the track guards I thinned the Tamiya plastic to a more realistic thickness and replaced the ill fitting inner guard with some 10 thou plastic card...

36744736903_b318b0592a_b.jpg

Ive also made a tow cable out of lead wire and I ran with the kit .30 for the hull gun.

Ive shelved the Kizan tracks and have some Panda's on the way...

Cheers

Plasto...

• Like 2

It's looking very good. One thing though. Although you say that the Israelis fitted the canvas cover to the mantlet, be careful as to which decals you use. If you have photographic evidence of this, then go with that, because in Robert Mansherob's book on the M1, there isn't a single photo or profile with the cover. I hope that you have got something that shows it because you've made a great job of the cover and it's fixtures.

John.

Hi John,

Yep im all good for references. Glad you like the epoxy putty work..

I primed the tank last night using Tamiya Dark Earth as a primer coat...

37430616206_af4b4ba560_b.jpg

Everything is now nicely unified for the next paint layer..

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 1

More work on the Sherman. My panda plastics T54E1 tracks arrived and I made one run up. This was much quicker then the Kaizan track set...

37566559991_486438d227_b.jpg

I’ll recover a bit of sanity and then do the other run.

• Like 1

Have to say that I find the Panda tracks easy to assemble, especially if you have a jig. I used their T49 tracks on my M1 build and they were quick to put together. Those T4E1's look good.

John.

• Thanks 1

Cheers John,

I just hand assembled mine it was ok if a bit repetitive. I’m unsure if I’ll glue them as the pin and cleats have a good fit. I’ll leace em on for a day to settle out and then start painting them. I think a black base coat to start and then some track colour should make a good base for pastels and a bit of dry brush work..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been progressing with the Sherman.

Most of the paint is done and I have made a start on the weathering..

37888709201_5a90c36ee0_b.jpg

I masked and painted the tactical marks.

I also made a start on the figures..

37178932384_f4d5787b40_b.jpg

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 2

On the home straight now... 

I have finished most of the weathering adding in a ID panel made out of milliput The jerrycans are the original 70’s Tamiya offerings so the panel covers up to poor handle and filler cap detail..

M2 is the kit offering...

38034121591_dfa7641f38_b.jpg

cheers

Plasto

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...