Hasegawa 1/72 Kawanishi H8K2 'Emily' (new tool)

Thanks very much gents :cheers:

I (finally) got the last of the sub-assemblies assembled:

DSCN6657.jpg

It has been my habit for some time to prime my models with Alclad Black primer, but recently (due most likely to my cack-handedness and lackadaisical approach to spraying, but possibly also to the age of my stock of primer) I have been beset with a certain grittiness of finish, so I primed this one in ordinary Colourcoats Tyre Black - it's blacker than it looks in the pictures and gives a nice smooth matt finish that will function perfectly well as a primer:

DSCN6662.jpg

DSCN6660.jpg

Over this I applied a coat of Alclad Semi-matt Aluminium, I will need to give it a second coat later on once I have sanded off all the random dog-hairs:

DSCN6667.jpg

DSCN6665.jpg

I have at various times attached the wings and tailplanes for priming/spraying and I like the way it is coming along :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

I like the way it is coming along

Me too!

Impressive detail on the kit and an impressive paint job Stew.

I share your problem with the dog hair - it seems to leap onto a just pained model from out of nowhere doesn't it?

As one of our friends says, those flippin' dogs are covered in dog hair!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, CedB said:

I share your problem with the dog hair - it seems to leap onto a just pained model from out of nowhere doesn't it?

Thanks Ced - yes I think Jack's hair orbits the room in a permanent holding pattern until it finds a newly-painted surface to adhere to... :lol: 

17 hours ago, jrlx said:

The metallic finish looks excellent, Stew! Will you be doing a lot of chipping?

Thanks Jaime! I won't be doing a lot of chipping of the paintwork for two reasons: firstly I am concerned primarily with finishing the kit before the group build ends, and I will be away for a while over Christmas so my time is a bit limited in that respect, and secondly while there is not a great number of contemporary photographs of the Emily on the internet those I have found show some weathering to the paintwork, as might be expected, but very little chipping. I think we sometimes have a knee-jerk reaction with Japanese aircraft that they must have the paintwork badly worn to the point of flaking off, and while I have not studied it in any great depth this seems to be truer of the Imperial Japanese Army aircraft than of the Navy ones.

I painted the fabric areas of the wings and tailplanes:

DSCN6668.jpg

Hasegawa suggest adding flat base to silver for this part, I used Citadel Runefang Steel; depending on how the light catches it, it exhibits a different effect to the Alcladded areas.

I'll start spraying the uppersurfaces next... 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Thanks Jaime! I won't be doing a lot of chipping of the paintwork for two reasons: firstly I am concerned primarily with finishing the kit before the group build ends, and I will be away for a while over Christmas so my time is a bit limited in that respect, and secondly while there is not a great number of contemporary photographs of the Emily on the internet those I have found show some weathering to the paintwork, as might be expected, but very little chipping. I think we sometimes have a knee-jerk reaction with Japanese aircraft that they must have the paintwork badly worn to the point of flaking off, and while I have not studied it in any great depth this seems to be truer of the Imperial Japanese Army aircraft than of the Navy ones.

One of the things I've always admired about you, Stewforth, is your ability to really take in a paint scheme and digest it in your mind. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Procopius said:

One of the things I've always admired about you, Stewforth, is your ability to really take in a paint scheme and digest it in your mind. 

God I wish it was as cerebral as that Edward, rather than looking at pictures on the internet and making a wild guess :lol: 

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice variation on the finish Stew. Good job matey!

Thanks very much Ced :) 

20 hours ago, jrlx said:

Yes, the effect on the fabric covered areas turned out very well!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks very much Jaime :) 

5 hours ago, pheonix said:

I agree with the above - the differences in the surfaces is subtle but realistic.

P

Thanks mate - though given that it is on the underside and the model will be quite a big beast, I can't imagine I'll be flipping it over to have a look very often :D

Yesterday evening I sprayed the uppersurfaces with Colourcoats ACJ01 IJN D1 Deep Green Black. Did I mention she is a big beast?

DSCN6672.jpg

This shows the wings slotted into place on the spars provided, the fit is tight and a little wrangling was involved, but overall the fit is very good indeed and tight enough that you don't need to worry about the wings slipping off unexpectedly. I'm going to keep the wings off for ease of application of the transfers; I think realistically this is as far as I will get before Christmas as the dog and I must make our seasonal pilgrimage to the dark north to visit the folks (though they do at least have the internets up there).

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

That is looking really magic now Stu, easy to visualise the finished product. You're right about its size though, about 20" wingspan to my 'rithmetic. Too big for my storage, still, if I keep buying the tickets....... :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Looks really impressive! The wing fit is good indeed.

I don't have the storage space for this model but I run the risk of ending up buying one, nonetheless...

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Thanks gents :D

Jon, the spray booth was an evilbay cheapy, quite reasonable if you look around.

I have a bit of catching up to do; I got back from visiting my folks for Christmas only to almost immediately get frightfully drunk for Hogmanay. In between and subsequent to that I did get a little modelling done though:

I painted the fabric sections of the upper wing in a mix of Deep Black Green and IJN Interior Olive Green - the colour differentiation is not as dramatic as shown in the picture which was taken in very strong light, in normal circumstances it is barely perceptible which is what I intended. The wings and fuselage have also been given a coat of Klear:

DSCN6679.jpg

I gave the exhausts a coat of Tamiya Dark Iron:

DSCN6674.jpg

Assembled the beaching gear and painted the tyres:

DSCN6676.jpg

Finished painting the upper parts of the floats:

DSCN6680.jpg

Painted the propellers and wooden tails of the torpedoes:

DSCN6681.jpg

Sprayed the prop tips yellow and masked with 0.7mm tape:

DSCN6678.jpg

Then gave them a burst of Colourcoats ACJ13 Red Brown Primer:

DSCN6683.jpg

The next stage will be applying the transfers, then the varnishing and final assembly. While I obvously do need to keep my finger out, I am still fairly confident of getting this in the gallery before the end of the Group Build on Sunday... :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Excellent progress, Stew! Very precise and clean work!

I look forward to seeing this one in the Gallery!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

On 1/3/2018 at 6:29 AM, CedB said:

Lovely stuff Stew - I hope you get the time to finish her off :)

Thanks Ced, my optimism will not, I trust, be misplaced (this time!)

On 1/3/2018 at 7:38 AM, Biggles87 said:

You've come a long way since I last looked in on this, and I also like the subtle variation on the fabric covered areas.

At the risk of repetition. Big innit?

HNY. John

Thanks John, a Happy New Year to you too. Yep, at the risk of repeating myself, she's a big girl :) 

On 1/3/2018 at 8:10 AM, jrlx said:

Excellent progress, Stew! Very precise and clean work!

I look forward to seeing this one in the Gallery!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime, I must admit I am looking forward to getting her finished too :D 

On 1/3/2018 at 7:24 PM, TheBaron said:

Really rather ravishing example of the modeller's art.

Must investigate booths - that looks a cracker.

Good luck in the final stages Stew. :thumbsup2:

Tony

Thanks very much Tony, do check out the spray booths, they make for a slightly more civilised existence :) 

I don't know if any of you gentlemen ever play 'first-person shooters' as they used to be called back in the day, but if so, you know when you are lacking sufficient cover and someone is machine-gunning you and you watch your health bar incrementally decreasing? Well if I had a 'will to live bar' on my mental screen it would have been reducing in a similar manner as I was adding the transfers for every single stencil that covers the Emily's ample surfaces:

DSCN6687.jpg

Two wings and one fuselage side partially done in two evenings. I assume the Imperial Japanese Navy had a good reason to ask that every single frame on the fuselage be marked and numbered but with the gift of hindsight and the reduction in scale by a factor of seventy-two to me it felt simply like sadism. Tonight I will complete the port fuselage and add the multi-coloured filler cap markings on the wings; tomorrow I hope varnish and Sunday the gallery. Pray for me...*

Cheers,

Stew

* Don't really. I'm an atheist and one way or another it would be a waste of time :) 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Thanks Ced, my optimism will not, I trust, be misplaced (this time!)

Thanks John, a Happy New Year to you too. Yep, at the risk of repeating myself, she's a big girl :) 

Thanks Jaime, I must admit I am looking forward to getting her finished too :D 

Thanks very much Tony, do check out the spray booths, they make for a slightly more civilised existence :) 

I don't know if any of you gentlemen ever play 'first-person shooters' as they used to be called back in the day, but if so, you know when you are lacking sufficient cover and someone is machine-gunning you and you watch your health bar incrementally decreasing? Well if I had a 'will to live bar' on my mental screen it would have been reducing in a similar manner as I was adding the transfers for every single stencil that covers the Emily's ample surfaces:

DSCN6687.jpg

Two wings and one fuselage side partially done in two evenings. I assume the Imperial Japanese Navy had a good reason to ask that every single frame on the fuselage be marked and numbered but with the gift of hindsight and the reduction in scale by a factor of seventy-two to me it felt simply like sadism. Tonight I will complete the port fuselage and add the multi-coloured filler cap markings on the wings; tomorrow I hope varnish and Sunday the gallery. Pray for me...*

Cheers,

Stew

* Don't really. I'm an atheist and one way or another it would be a waste of time :) 

Ok Stew, I pray for you and for Emily...

There are special prayer for atheist and big 1/72 floatplanes !! :rofl2:

You did great whatever ! Ban the dog from the pub for this week end at least !

I will have a beere for you (That's a kind of prayer is'nt it ??)

Is that helping ??:coolio:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp